.416 Rigby for Plains Game?

Daktari

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
US: FL, ME
Hello just wondering if the .416 Rigby would be overkill for plains game?

I use a .416 caliber regularly for PG , I prefer a 300g bullet from my .416 better than a 300g bullet from my .375 .

What’s the meat damage like on medium sized game from .416 comparing say to 375 or .30 cal?

If you define overkill as more power than you need for the task, then yes, the .416 is overkill for plains game. I don’t think anyone can argue with that statement, but have at it!

There are at least four reasons why I wouldn’t use my .416 for plains game regularly. First, the scope is a dangerous game scope, so doesn’t have the levels of magnification I’d like for longer shots (note I rarely use more than 9-10X). As part of this, my .416 is zeroed at 50 yards, since I like to get close to dangerous game. This setup isn’t ideal for plains game.

The second is that the recoil is materially greater than you’d find in a .275 or .300, both of which are fine for plains game (I’d want something bigger for giraffe but not sure if you include that in plains game), so why punish yourself if you don’t need to?

Third, the ammo is about 3-4x the cost of quality .300 Win Mag ammo, so why spend the money when you don’t need to.

Fourth, the ballistics in terms of trajectory of the .416 just isn’t ideal for longer range shooting, unless you’re very adept with holdover. Most of us (at least those without ballistic reticles) don’t much like holding in the air. And plains game often requires quick shooting, leaving little time for the calculation you’d have to make with a .416. I took a mountain Nyala at 380 yards with a .300 Win Mag. This is admittedly a long shot, but not unheard of. I would not have wanted to try that with a .416.

I use my 404 Jeffery on plainsgame vey often.

Last was a RW Nyala at 40m in the thick bush with my Aimpoint Micro.

Besides, it is just way more fun to shoot stuff like Bluewildebeest, Zebra etc with proper calibres in proper rifles.

What’s the meat damage like on medium sized game from .416 comparing say to 375 or .30 cal?
Very minimal. I have used my 416rigby open sights on Puku with almost no damage.
I’d use it any day. Shooting at or under 100m is no issue. I haven’t shot it out to further yet, mainly due to limited hunting distances here. 150m would be a long shot here.

I guess it’s like the damage from 165gr SGK from my .308 on Roe deer. Every shot DRT with the only damage being the wound channel. I enjoy stalking and eating female Roe and typical Roe doe weights 15-20kg (35-45lbs) so 308 is an overkill but typically does less damage than 223.

Hank makes a good argument however, my .02; There's no such thing as "overkill" Dead is dead, killed is killed. Period,
Familiarity with a gun makes you a better shot and more confident hunter ("Beware the man who owns only one gun - He knows how to use it..") Using a larger caliber "Dangerous Game" rifle for other animals gets you familiar with it and confidence in the gun. You have it, use it; enjoy it; make memories...

Screen Shot 2018-07-29 at 7.06.44 AM.png

I'd suggest you make certain there is nothing behind your intended target or you will certainly be experiencing a true case of overkill. That can be pretty costly in many places in Africa.

I like a rifle proportioned to the game I hunt. I wouldn't take a .416 out after whitetail anymore than I care to take one after springbuck. Can it do the job? Of course. But not ideally. So why do so? And the old "beware the man..." adage about the old farmer in coveralls with his trusty, silvered SxS is probably not entirely apropos to a bunch of guys with gun safes and trips to Africa on the horizon.

One exception where the .416 would make sense, would be a mixed bag safari that included buffalo. I personally prefer to take a single rifle while traveling, and so a .416 could serve dual purpose on such a hunt. Though, my experience is that a .375 is a much better choice for such a scenario.

All of which is a long way around to saying that if you want to carry a .416 to hunt PG, have at it. Make sure it is scoped, and sight it in like a deer rifle - maybe two-inches high at 100 meters to give you a bit of extended point blank range. But I can think of a whole lot of other better choices.

...if you want to carry a .416 to hunt PG, have at it. Make sure it is scoped, and sight it in like a deer rifle - maybe two-inches high at 100 meters to give you a bit of extended point blank range. But I can think of a whole lot of other better choices.
+1
Well said.

Definitely, the locals use a .243 for most plains game hunting.

Some even use it for crocodiles.

Last edited:
If you define overkill as more power than you need for the task, then yes, the .416 is overkill for plains game. I don’t think anyone can argue with that statement, but have at it!

There are at least four reasons why I wouldn’t use my .416 for plains game regularly. First, the scope is a dangerous game scope, so doesn’t have the levels of magnification I’d like for longer shots (note I rarely use more than 9-10X). As part of this, my .416 is zeroed at 50 yards, since I like to get close to dangerous game. This setup isn’t ideal for plains game.

The second is that the recoil is materially greater than you’d find in a .275 or .300, both of which are fine for plains game (I’d want something bigger for giraffe but not sure if you include that in plains game), so why punish yourself if you don’t need to?

Third, the ammo is about 3-4x the cost of quality .300 Win Mag ammo, so why spend the money when you don’t need to.

Fourth, the ballistics in terms of trajectory of the .416 just isn’t ideal for longer range shooting, unless you’re very adept with holdover. Most of us (at least those without ballistic reticles) don’t much like holding in the air. And plains game often requires quick shooting, leaving little time for the calculation you’d have to make with a .416. I took a mountain Nyala at 380 yards with a .300 Win Mag. This is admittedly a long shot, but not unheard of. I would not have wanted to try that with a .416.
In my opinion... Short answer: no, not overkill. However, I think for a plains game only hunt, there are better choices.
On my first safari, I took a .416 Ruger (basicly the same ballistics) and a .375 H&H. I shot the buffalo in my avatar and seven head of plains game with the .416 and three with the .375. The .416 did well on the plains game using a 400gr Barnes TSX. However, I think the Barnes might have been a little tough. If I was going to use it again in this capacity, I'd go to Swift for a little quicker expansion.
For a plains game only hunt, a 350 gr Barnes or Swift at around 2450 fps would work. My only caveat would be to make sure you are comfortable with the recoil.
By the same token, you don't need that much gun. Anything you'd be comfortable using on deer and elk would work for Plains game with the advantages of flatter trajectory, lower recoil and more practice rounds.

Where and what are you planning to hunt with your 416 Rigby?

ive used a Winchester M70 chambered in 416 RM on plains game and with my custom high velocity hand loads i couldnt be happier. im VERY fond of the .416" 300gr Barnes TSX and have flattened plenty of critters over the years with this bullet.

using a 416 will limit your range to around 200 yards but when loaded correctly it will give you some spectacular kills!

-matt

Can be used for PG but is not a good choice-rifle weight, ballistics, recoil, distance all become a factor. A 416 Rigby is a DG game caliber.

If you plan on say a Buffalo hunt combined with some PG then it would make sense or Bongo in the rainforest.

For a PG only hunt there are many better choices.

For more open areas. 300WM, 300 H&H or 338 WM would be better choices by far.

For more closed areas, 9.3x62, 375 H&H, 7x57, 30-06 etc.(depending on game) would again be better choices.

So what you want to hunt and where the hunt will take place should answer your question.

When I owned a .416 Rigby it was my go-to not just for buffalo but for wild cattle, feral camels, brumbies, donkeys, pigs and wild dogs.

If I still owned one I would consider taking it for eland and giraffe depending on the terrain.

Excellent points made here!

A .416 Rigby would make a good dangerous game/plains game rifle but honestly a .375 H&H would work better if you were hunting more plains game.

Honestly a 300 Win, 300 H&H and .338 Win are better choices. I could see a 30-06, 7x57 and 7mm Rem Mag as good choices too. Proper bullet placement and quality bullets will get the job done.

The way I see it, shoot what you enjoy shooting if it is going to harvest whatever game you are harvesting. Personally, I don't like tracking game that I haven't shot inside of 20-yards when bow hunting. I shot a great whitetail (11-pt) buck with a .270 at 204-yards measured by range finder. I waited 30-minutes and went to where I last saw him. NO BLOOD. He went 70-yards on a double lung shot. Since then, I have used a .30-06 with 180 gr. on everything in the U.S. I have hunted and nothing has gone more than 10-yards after the shot. I like to watch them drop.
Hunting African PG, .30-06 is adequate according to my PH but, I am also taking either the .416 Rigby or .375H&H. I have learned my DOPE (Data On/Obtained from Previous Engagements) for the selected ammunition for each rifle and know the hold on each out to at least 300-yards. I have also advised my PH that I do not want to go "shooting" in Africa, I want to go HUNTING so, no shots over 100-yards. My deer at 204-yards was the exception a.)He was a monster b.) He was crossing open pasture where I was able to get into the prone using my pack as a rest and get a proper lead on him because he was moving pretty good. I am sure I will make future exceptions to my rule based upon situation but, in anticipation of that I use heavier calibers than required. In short, shoot what you like how you like ethically and responsibly so you can recover your game. My preference-Watch them drop. Just sayin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross