Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DSC, NRA
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Tanzania, Zambia
I have a beautiful Cape buffalo slaying 416 Rigby Dakota Ams for sale. She has a mercury recoil reducer and cycles like a dream. I took her to Africa once and shot a nice buff with her. She has been a safe queen ever since as the Africa bug bit and I moved on to doubles and then lately my custom 505 Gibbs. Asking $8,500 or obo.

I’m working on posting photos…having an issue with tap talk and don’t know why.

Attachments

• thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    27 KB · Views: 230
Just put em on the laptop from your phone or camera and load em up from the laptop in a matter of a minute or so. Good luck with it and would like to see it as im a Dakota Arms fan and would be interested if the rifle and deal make sense. Ill be looking for pics.

Last edited:
I have a beautiful Cape buffalo slaying 416 Rigby Dakota Ams for sale. She has a mercury recoil reducer and cycles like a dream. I took her to Africa once and shot a nice buff with her. She has been a safe queen ever since as the Africa bug bit and I moved on to doubles and then lately my custom 505 Gibbs. Asking $8,500 or obo.

Can’t wait to see it. If you can upload your build sheet too it Will help your sale, leaving no ambiguity as to what model it is, what era its from, or what latent features it may have.

Once I got my double rifle I opted not to keep my “spare” 416 Rigby Dakota and was very pleased that it sold on this forum. You’re welcome to look at the advert from January 2021 to compare.

Great guns, the family just bought a 375 for one of my sons. You’ll have no trouble getting interest for your gun on this site.

Hello AH community. Attached are photos that I promised originally. The rifle was built for me in 2006 and is 10.2 pounds with scope included. 13 5/8 LOP.

thumbnail (1).jpg
thumbnail (2).jpg
thumbnail (3).jpg
thumbnail (4).jpg
thumbnail (5).jpg
thumbnail (6).jpg
thumbnail (7).jpg
thumbnail (8).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Hunting Hitman has a very nice rifle. It appears to be a Dakota 76 African model that gets several additional bells and whistles. They include quarter rib, dual crossbolts, plum finish bolt knob, ebony or exotic forend tip, extended magazine floorplate/capacity, shadow line cheek piece, etc.

*Usually* they also included a mercury recoil reducer embedded into the barrel channel but some of the earlier guns had a forestock that was thinner and precluded fitting that feature. Only the owner's word or the factory build sheet can easily verify that one last feature that is latent. The OP says it has a recoil reducer, but that could be the small OEM one in the forend, or a larger one added by him in the buttstock. Another possible upgrade that wouldn't be visible in the photo angles could be a hinged grip cap to hold extra sights.

The one option I don't see (my Dakota 416 didn't have it either) is Talley bases and quick detachable rings. Easy to sort out for $250 if that's important to someone.

Very nice, well-equipped gun, @Hunting Hitman

@Hunting Hitman has a very nice rifle. It appears to be a Dakota 76 African model that gets several additional bells and whistles. They include quarter rib, dual crossbolts, plum finish bolt knob, ebony or exotic forend tip, extended magazine floorplate/capacity, shadow line cheek piece, etc.

*Usually* they also included a mercury recoil reducer embedded into the barrel channel but some of the earlier guns had a forestock that was thinner and precluded fitting that feature. Only the owner's word or the factory build sheet can easily verify that one last feature that is latent. The OP says it has a recoil reducer, but that could be the small OEM one in the forend, or a larger one added by him in the buttstock. Another possible upgrade that wouldn't be visible in the photo angles could be a hinged grip cap to hold extra sights.

The one option I don't see (my Dakota 416 didn't have it either) is Talley bases and quick detachable rings. Easy to sort out for $250 if that's important to someone.

Very nice, well-equipped gun, @Hunting Hitman
Thanks RookHawk. It is indeed a Dakota 76 African with a Mercury recoil reducer. I'm sorry but after 15 years I cannot find the build sheet but everyone has my word on that. She shoots great!
Feel free to ask any questions as needed.
HH

Thanks RookHawk. It is indeed a Dakota 76 African with a Mercury recoil reducer. I'm sorry but after 15 years I cannot find the build sheet but everyone has my word on that. She shoots great!
Feel free to ask any questions as needed.
HH

@Hunting Hitman

If you wish to call Parkwest Arms in Sturgis, SD (605) 702-0060 and ask to speak with Ward, he has access to the Dakota archives and can get you a copy of your build sheet. It will enhance the sale of your gun because it will disclose additional facts. (e.g. upgraded wood)

Scope included? Brand of scope?

If you buy this it will really liven up the discussion on your Zambia trip!!!

OMG it sure would and it would be mostly your fault for planting seeds… lol

OMG it sure would and it would be mostly your fault for planting seeds… lol

We are well on track to your new battery of .416 and 8x68. I am very glad that I am able
to be of assistance.

Scope included and what is the brand?

Heard anything back on this?

Not yet. I will call them back on Tuesday and inquire what’s taking so long. Rifle is still available.

HH

Hear back yet?

No I haven’t.
I have tried calling them back a few times and the phone just rings. I’m not sure if they are working limited hours but you would think they would answer an email. Either way I spoke with another knowledgeable gun guy and he thinks a more equitable price is $7,500.

I recently got a very similar Dakota 416 Rigby and love it. These are fantastic rifles. The only difficulty is in finding dies for reloading. I got a response in about 1 week from Parkwest on my build sheet by emailing them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross