416 Rigby barrel twist

Buster95

AH member
Reaction score
I'm interested in a used CZ 550 in 416 Rigby, but CZ use a 1:16.5 twist, practically all the load data I checked use barrels with 1:14 twist and most of the rifles from other companies use 1:14 too, nothing wrong with a 1:16.5 twist? What about 400 gr and heavier bullets?

I posted target results several weeks ago from my CZ 550 in 416 Rigby. I'll post them again as an FYI. I think it's relevent to your query. Loads were using Hornady 400gr RNSP, Hodgdon H4350 powder, Fed 215M primers (I tried IMR 4350 but it shot all over the place). I don't think I need to try any other powders as the results are pretty good. Loads were from the Hornady #9 manual. Groups are at 100yds. Top middle target I had used to see where my reloads were going to hit as I was using factory rounds the week before. Top hole is a sighter and next two holes below were for accuracy. I also wanted to see where it would print at 200yds. Holding 2" high at 100yds I fired a 6 shot string which hit 4" below centre. Grouping was about 4". I wasn't sure how it was going to shoot as it sat in a box for 15yrs. Seems like it did pretty good. Scope is a Nikon Monarch 3 1-4x20 w/German #4 reticle on Talley ringmounts.
IMG_3756.JPG

I am interested in this too. I do like the CZ550 (1:16.5, I believe is the original Rigby twist rate), but ran into the Sako Safari and Sako Brown Bear (1:14) , and the Ruger 77 RSM which I believe also has the (1:14). Still a toss up as to which rifle to get. The Sako Brown Bear only has a 22" bbl, while the Sako Safari has the 24 3/8" bbl and the price tag is about $6,000USD difference. I can find some of the Ruger 77 RSMs for reasonable prices and they have 23" bbls. The CZ550 has the 25" bbl and is very reasonably priced. I am only planning on shooting 400 gr and less out of it, so maybe the CZ550 will win out unless I can find a bonzer deal.

I would go with a CZ, or if you can find something on an original Mauser K98 action, P14 (British), P17 (US) action. CZ is a good robust rifle with a strong Mauser action. The CZ 550 series also allows 1 more extra round in the magazine than the competition if I'm not mistaken. Zastava makes a decent rifle. Not sure if they have it in 416 Rigby but they do offer 375H&H, and 458 Win Mag. I would personally stay away from a plunger style bolt face when talking about the larger calibres...just personal preference. I have read a few articles and stories where hunters have experienced difficulty with plunger style ejectors in situations where that's a bad thing to have happen. Then again there are those that like them. I just prefer and feel more comfortable to have the big Mauser claw ejecting a big case.

8x68, I think your accuracy is quite good. It's a large caliber!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfonzoPal

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!