Gold supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA, Canada, USA, NZ
I shoot Left Hand and now have several left handed rifles.

I have two .375 H&H SAKO’s. Both great. However, I don’t own a larger bore than .375…

I’m retiring in 3 years and certain I’ll spend extended periods of time in different African countries to hunt DG. Likely, Buff, Hippo, and Elephant.

I’ve been thinking about the versatility of a .416 as well as the (possible) need for more stopping power in a .458.

From what I’ve read (mostly on AH) these are two calibers to consider above a .375, in bolt rifles, and good for what I intend to do.

**I haven’t considered a double (yet).

I’m only knowledgeable of what I currently own and hunt with.

I like SAKO because they have served me well, but I’m open to other rifle brands/makers or even having a custom rifle built.

Please help me decide between the two and on left handed options.

Shoot both if you can and decide. Either caliber will do the job with proper placement. I like both as a reloader and can tailor each to my liking. I don’t enjoy being stuck with 458 Lott 500gr factory loads… There are better options in larger calibers otherwise. For what it’s worth…

Congrats on retiring soon and deciding to spend part of it DG hunting. Reward yourself further by getting a double, it will put a huge smile on your face. You’ve already got a bolt gun for everything else. Have fun!

A 450 Rigby. Best of all around for many games. I have no experience in shooting any DG. How ever reading a lot of posts here my opinion is 450 Rigby. Look in to it, read about it from experienced hunters and go with your deductions.
Krish

Just because I was in the same boat as you and had a 375 H&H the jump to 416 was not that much so I bought a Lott.

I can happily shoot 30 rounds a day with it but it will show and you will feel it, but when hunting do you really feel the recoil? Just don't shoot from the bench very uncomfotable.
But being able to push 500gr at 2250fps just gives you extra confidence especially if you can place the bullet where you want to.

The 450 Rigby would be even better but more expensive to run and practise with I shoot more than 200 rounds a year in the lott just because its fun and I can obviously I reload.

Dumping 5 fat rounds into the CZ550 Magazine is also fun and confidence booster.

I started off with a 375h&h, after reading here a while...I talked myself into a 416REM. I felt it just a little more recoil just not as sharp as the 375h&h. After shooting my one and only buff with the 416REM. I decided to step up to a 458Lott. I killed a Watusi and a 200# boar with it. The 416 will give you more range, the 458Lott has a little more stopping power. You really will not go wrong with either. 416 (400gr) 2400fps/5115ft-lb 458Lott 2300fps/5870ft-lb.
After shooting both at game, whichever you can comfortable handle will do the job. I like the 458Lott due to ammo is more readily available in Africa and in a pinch you can use 458WinMag.

I have been trying to talk myself into a double for a long time, I just can get over the accuracy thing. This is all in my mind, I have worked my ass off to shoot well. Buying an expensive tool that will not do what I want, well it is what it is. That said I did buy an R8 and love the rifle. It shoots tight, handles recoil well, have been very happy with it. They are not the prettiest rifle, they function and put the bullet where it is supposed to go.

YMMV

I have both and have taken both to Africa, if I could only have one I would go with the Lott but only handload for it. If I didn’t handload I would go with the 416 Rigby.

I have seen many threads concerning Sako ejection problems when using a scope. I do not own a Sako, but I worked on a friends .416 Sako while doing so I decided to mount a 1 1/2 to 5 Swarovski in the normal configuration the scope interfered with ejection. I removed the scope and put the red dot sight sight that he requested his rifle has always functioned 100%.

That said, a .450-400 or .470 Heym would be my personal choice. Possibly with a red dot sight.

Lon

I think you're on the right track with your shortlist - >375 the most widely available bullet options are 416 and 458.
If I was looking at 458, I would consider the 450 Rigby, presuming you reload. You can duplicate Lott or even WM performance and also turn up the dial should you so wish.

I went the 416 route on the grounds that it's that little bit more versatile and easier to shoot. If I planned to shoot elephant regularly, then I would definitely look at the 458-500 class.

I agree on the comments here regarding the feeding issues on a Sako. For a DG rifle, I would not consider the Sako.
Secondly, don't ever think that the 416 is "too close" to the 375. It is 10x the rifle compared to a 375 on the business end of things.

I would totally agree with your .375 versus .416 comparison. With the .404 closer to the .416 than the .375

Lon

I have seen many threads concerning Sako ejection problems when using a scope. I do not own a Sako, but I worked on a friends .416 Sako while doing so I decided to mount a 1 1/2 to 5 Swarovski in the normal configuration the scope interfered with ejection. I removed the scope and put the red dot sight sight that he requested his rifle has always functioned 100%.

That said, a .450-400 or .470 Heym would be my personal choice. Possibly with a red dot sight.

Lon

I’ve heard that. Never an issue with either of mine. May have something to do with Left Hand versions…,

I have both a 416 Rigby and a 458 Lott. The 416 is a AHR CZ and the 458 a AHR Brno. Both function flawlessly. Do think the 416 has a little better penetration but both get the job done if you do yours.

I have both a 416 Rigby and a 458 Lott. The 416 is a AHR CZ and the 458 a AHR Brno. Both function flawlessly. Do think the 416 has a little better penetration but both get the job done if you do yours.
Although I do not own or use a .458Lott I have seen it do its job many, many times on elephant. I do own a use a .416 Rigby I see little difference when the same type of bullet is used in either.

I know of a situation that took place about 10 days ago where a hunter made a good shot on a bull buffalo passed thru and took a cow buffalo a short distance away. I do have the pictures of the .458 Lott soft, but I do not know the make of the bullet. Please note our company had nothing to do with this unfortunate situation.

Lon

You will be well served with either! For nostalgia and history I would get a 404 in a bolt gun and not look back. Or a nice double in the cals that @Tokoloshe Safaris mentioned

@Inline6 Doubles aren't for everyone, you need to change the way you think about accuracy when shooting one. That 2 in 4 shot composite group at 55 meters is the equivalent of 3/4 MOA group at 100 with your bolt gun. Also the DG you shoot with a double is Minute of elephant/buff not blue diker. It i8s very rewarding but also requires a lot of practice to get proficient with a double.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg