416 Ribgy or 458 Lott

Saw this for sale. I know nothing about Dakota. Not really interested in a 450 Dakota. It looks like a nice rifle…

DAKOTA 450 DAKOTA LEFT HAND BEST AFRICAN GRADE- REMAINS in 98% ORIG COND- VERY NICE BASTOGNE WALNUT- PLENTY of AMMO- DEEP MAGAZINE BOX- TALLEY BASES

Description:
#R0102L, Dakota Arms 450 Dakota Left Hand Best African Grade, A 1 in 14" twist 24" Barrel with a removable factory muzzle brake, 25 3/4" with the brake installed, Best African Grade with a 1/4 rib, 1 standing and 2 folding rear sights, Band front ramp with a fold-up night sight, Barrel band swivel, Belly magazine box with a hinged straddle floorplate with a center bow release, Talley scope bases, 3 panel teardrop bolt knob checkering, Standard Dakota 3-position Model 70 type safety, A very nice stick of Bastogne Walnut with nice contrast and a lot of fiddleback, Double cross bolts at the action body, Ebony forend tip, Wrap around point pattern checkering, Shadowline cheekpiece, Steel grip cap, 2 screw tiedown rear sling eye, 13 3/4" LOP over a 7/8" factory pad, Proper big bore weight at 10 lbs. 4 oz. as an open sighted rifle, The factory satin blue remains at 99%, The stock is 97% with very few scattered handling marks, The checkering is 100% The bore is as the day it left Sturgis, South Dakota.

It comes with 2 boxes of Dakota factory 500 grain Woodleigh Solids, 1 box of factory 550 grain Woodleigh soft nose, 1 box of coded Superior with Barnes TSX & Woodleigh soft nose, 20 rounds with 450 grain Barnes solids, 14 rounds with Barnes 450 grain TSX bullets and 7 fired cases plus Dakota factory loading data.

The .450 Dakota is a potent .458 caliber cartridge based on the .416 Rigby case. Case capacity is near identical to the .460 Weatherby, the main difference between the two cartridges being that the .460 is loaded as fast as possible, while using maximum possible freebore to alleviate excessive pressures. The .450 Dakota with a 500-grain bullet has a muzzle velocity of 2450fps. This Dakota proprietary cartridge was designed by Don Allen and is like the .450 Rigby based on the .416 Rigby case necked up to accept a .458 diameter bullet.

Price: $7,500.00

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-16 at 7.10.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-16 at 7.10.30 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-16 at 7.10.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-16 at 7.10.32 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 45
Recently an unnamed hunter made a heart shot on buffalo bull not knowing there was another bull standing behind the first one. The second hit the heart lung area, both buffalo died in a short distance.

Both bullets are the same bullet just different angles. Caliber .458 Lott can anyone identify what brand of soft this might be.

Lon

View attachment 500445View attachment 500446
Looks like DGX.

.416 all the way. Low pressure cartridge. Less recoil. Great penetration. Much easier to handload concentric cartridges than the lott
Love your quote. :)

.458 Lott if you are hunting buffalo/elephant and you can handle the recoil. The cartridge is as prevalent as the .375 H&H in DG country. It absolutely puts the hammer down on buffalo. You can get ammo if you need it, and the ammo you leave will be put to good use (much more prevalent with DG PH’s than the .416).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!