416 Remington Magnum V.S. 458 Winchester Magnum

i have a 416RM ands my brother has a 458wm,
ammo for the 416 rm is half the price of the 458wm
rest is all personal preference in my opinion

You can get a CZ 550 Safari magnum in 416 Rigby and some ammo well with in your Budget. That beats all the other guns you mentioned.
Krish
I've read on here that the CZ550 only beats the others with some gunsmithing done to them. I've seen a few for sale on the gun auction sites, but since CZ stopped producing them the price has sky rocketed. I would love an AHR CZ-550 though.

I've read on here that the CZ550 only beats the others with some gunsmithing done to them. I've seen a few for sale on the gun auction sites, but since CZ stopped producing them the price has sky rocketed. I would love an AHR CZ-550 though.
Yes some CZ,s out of the box need little bit of gun smith work. How ever the AHR option 3 guns are in the range of 6 to 7k if you can find an very good one one. That is double your budget pluss. On the other hand CZ with little TLC will do everything you want. After all it is for hunting in rough places not just for range work. There are couple now on gun broker listed.
Krish

Yes some CZ,s out of the box need little bit of gun smith work. How ever the AHR option 3 guns are in the range of 6 to 7k if you can find an very good one one. That is double your budget pluss. On the other hand CZ with little TLC will do everything you want. After all it is for hunting in rough places not just for range work. There are couple now on gun broker listed.
Krish
I have been checking those gunbroker listings out for sure! I actually opened my tablet this morning and the last webpage I was browsing was for a CZ-550 on gunbroker. Shame they stopped production.

Most on the forum will have seen my posts before but it is worth repeating- ALL DG rifles need to be thoroughly checked and most will need a smith to work on them. People often say my gun will feed Swift A frames but doesn't like XYZ bullets. That is a feeding problem. I often help out at the Zimbabwe Pro hunters and guides shooting exams. All makes and all calibres can have problems. Flat nose solids are bad and funny enough spitzers are often good. CZ/Winchester/Whitworth/Mauser all have exhibited problems. And now for some sacrilege-I saw two push feed rifles in among all the controlled feed rifles and they fed flawlessly.

One was a Weatherby in 375 H&H and the other a Remington. That Weatherby was the fastest cycling smoothest action. But that said, my CZ cycles a bullet loaded backwards after a lot of my own tweaking and polishing- so that is a calibre sized meplat.

I have a Winchester in .416 Remington and a Kimber 458 Lott. I know…not the same as a 458 Win Mag, but I think what I’m about to say is relevant all the same.

I think the 416 REM is about perfect as a client’s gun for Cape Buffalo. Much more than adequate power. Just right. Same goes for the 416 Rigby and Ruger. I killed my first buff with a 416 Ruger and it did a fine job.

The 458 WM is more than what’s needed for buff. The Lott…even more so. I used a Lott on my buff in September and it floored him. Energy is never a bad thing, but I doubt the outcome would have been much different with a 416.

If dangerous game means Elephant, then the choice is clear. Go with the 458.

I think you’d be able to find either in Africa. They are popular. That said, the current ammo shortage is worse in Africa than here. So better hope there are a few rounds available in camp. I left my PH a couple of boxes of 375 H&H and he was appreciative!

In terms of cost, I don’t think there’s much difference. All ammo is eye watering expensive now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you