AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
jtwannabewriter.blogspot.com
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Good morning, AHF,
I have several comparison questions regarding these 2 calibers and I am positive I will get the best answers here. I have done some research already on several of these topics, but I like real user input.
Ammunition Cost (PPR)?
Availability of Ammunition (USA and Africa)?
Availability of Reloading Components (cases, bullets, proper powder, etc.)?
Which is more affordable to reload?
Which caliber is more iconic (I feel like the 458 Win mag chambered in a Model 70 is the iconic one)?
Recoil, sharp or push?
Anything else to know?
Thank you for the info in advance.

I have a 416 RM in a Super Express. I like it. The recoil gets your attention, but to me it’s neither a push or a punch. It’s in the middle. My 300 Wby is definitely faster recoiling (despite online calculators), but the 416 has a much “bigger” recoil. Oh, and it’s LOUD.

Swift A frames cost me about $95 a box, Nosler Partitions a dollar cheaper. Solids are about double that. I haven’t bothered to reload yet with current shortages.

I will say that regardless of which caliber, proper LOP and shooting form make all the difference with recoil.

The 416 you could use more of a all rounder what are your intentions with the calibres that might be the deciding factor?

The 416 you could use more of a all rounder what are your intentions with the calibres that might be the deciding factor?
Right now, in all honesty, I just want a Dangerous Game/Safari rifle because of my interest in African exploration and such. I also enjoy shooting pretty much anything. (A Kimber Carprivi in 375 H&H is also a contender, but I want the Winchester to be in 416 or 458)

If I it was me I would get the 416 Remington to be used home and abroad on hunts. With a 350gr bullet you run it almost like a 375H&H. Easily shoot out to 200 meters.

If I it was me I would get the 416 Remington to be used home and abroad on hunts. With a 350gr bullet you run it almost like a 375H&H. Easily shoot out to 200 meters.
Even with 400gr bullets the 416 at 250 yds only drops about an inch more than the 375 with 300gr bullets. From field shooting positions that would be insignificant and it sure hits harder on the other end. I certainly agree with your assessment on recoil, more of a push although a big push than something like a 338wm which can really whack you.

Good morning, AHF,
I have several comparison questions regarding these 2 calibers and I am positive I will get the best answers here. I have done some research already on several of these topics, but I like real user input.
Ammunition Cost (PPR)?
Availability of Ammunition (USA and Africa)?
Availability of Reloading Components (cases, bullets, proper powder, etc.)?
Which is more affordable to reload?
Which caliber is more iconic (I feel like the 458 Win mag chambered in a Model 70 is the iconic one)?
Recoil, sharp or push?
Anything else to know?
Thank you for the info in advance.
I have 2 2”416 rigbys for sale if you’re interested both brand new

I don’t have much 458 experience but I do with the 416 REM Mag. I really like it for a dangerous game hunting gun. Swift A-Frames and Barnes Solids being the ammo and Winchester 70 Safari grade being the gun. Served me well!

Looking at it from the reloading standpoint, it's either a .375 or a .458 for me for the cost of projectiles and availability of cheaper practice bullets. The Rigby has always been a siren's song, but is darned expensive to use a lot. At least the .458 can be loaded up with .45-70 bullets and shot with gas checked lead if you had to.

Looking at it from the reloading standpoint, it's either a .375 or a .458 for me for the cost of projectiles and availability of cheaper practice bullets. The Rigby has always been a siren's song, but is darned expensive to use a lot. At least the .458 can be loaded up with .45-70 bullets and shot with gas checked lead if you had to.
I read something to that effect somewhere else on this forum. That is the 458 being more "reloadable" than the 416.

Availability of components is a real issue today with almost anything but cast bullets for either can be found or cast yourself. As bad as bullet availability is finding powder and primers is even more of a challenge. At least in the US it is.

You won't notice much difference in recoil. I have both 416 and 458 Safari Express Winchester 70s. If you will only have one big gun, AND you are going to actually hunt with it, I'd pick the 416 for a little more versatility. But if it's just a fun gun, I'd get the 458. Way more bullet selection to play with, and easy to load to 45/70 levels for practice.
That said, I'm planning a tuskless Elephant/Hippo/Buffalo hunt next year, and will probably use a 458 Win Mag or Lott. The 416 would definitely work, but since I've been experimenting with Cutting Edge Bullets, the 458 is just so versatile, there's not much you can't do with it.

The .416 Remington is a little more versatile (if a 1 - rifle safari to Africa is in your plans)

The .458 would win if you want an "elephant gun" or a dangerous game stopper.

I have found that in the U.S., ammo for the .458 can usually be found cheaper. You will also find that .458 Win ammo can be found almost anywhere in the world where you might need a .458 Win.

Ammo for a .416 Rem is harder to find and you will probably pay more.

Even with 400gr bullets the 416 at 250 yds only drops about an inch more than the 375 with 300gr bullets. From field shooting positions that would be insignificant and it sure hits harder on the other end. I certainly agree with your assessment on recoil, more of a push although a big push than something like a 338wm which can really whack you.
That's what they told me about the 500 Jeffery! Lies! lol :) I would get the 416 Rem. My son has one in Winchester Model 70 Classic. It's a nice rifle, recoil will get your attention but not unpleasant. A good rifle for the big bears in Alaska and anything you want in Africa. It's one hell of an elk rifle too :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross