416 Rem Mag

jwp475

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Velocity with the new barrel, 94 gr CFE223, 350 gr Speer

20220523_120540.jpg

Ok... I asked for 203B because it's the powder I use, I can't find the your powders
It's a great caliber that is also quite pleasant to shot!
And close to 2700 with 350gr is stellar!

Getting over 2700 with Ar2206-got the powder back in the late 90s about 2 years before it turned to 2206H. 340gr Woodleigh weldcore. Under 1" groups at a hundy. Notes say 21 November 97
repeatable as I lent it to an acquaintance who had some of his own 2206 and achieved the same accuracy although he didn't listen to what I told him about the load and went a grain under.
My notes showed an average of 2770fps with an average of the low shot at 2730.
10 shots.
under book max too. only tried 2 loads and 3 shots of the lesser one.

Getting over 2700 with Ar2206-got the powder back in the late 90s about 2 years before it turned to 2206H. 340gr Woodleigh weldcore. Under 1" groups at a hundy. Notes say 21 November 97
repeatable as I lent it to an acquaintance who had some of his own 2206 and achieved the same accuracy although he didn't listen to what I told him about the load and went a grain under.
My notes showed an average of 2770fps with an average of the low shot at 2730.
10 shots.
under book max too. only tried 2 loads and 3 shots of the lesser one.

That’s truly impressive
I personally like the 400 grain Woodleighs

Awesome...
Sad I can't find but Norma and Vihtavuori by now...
The velocity you reach makes our 416 on the same level of the Weatherby version, I guess with far less recoil

What will you use 350 gr softs for? I can get 2550 using 400s out of my Taylor, but it's not necessary with such a high SD and E bullet (2,450 is ideal and just under 6,000 ft-lbs of E.) Yours is now behaving like little brother 375 with lower SD bullets (fine for PG and American game, but not ideal for the 416s purpose-DG.) Some are wise to use the even heavier, high SD (penetrating power) 450 gr bullets on DG (with even lower V but higher SD and E for penetration and damage). A 350 solid would do the trick, but not ideal for the 1st shot.

Last edited:
What will you use 350 gr softs for? I can get 2550 using 400s out of my Taylor, but it's not necessary with such a high SD and E bullet (2,450 is ideal and just under 6,000 ft-lbs of E.) Yours is now behaving like little brother 375 with lower SD bullets (fine for PG and American game, but not ideal for the 416s purpose-DG.) Some are wise to use the even heavier, high SD (penetrating power) 450 gr bullets on DG (with even lower V but higher SD and E for penetration and damage). A 350 solid would do the trick, but not ideal for the 1st shot.
Well if he is like me he is trying to use it on game like deer.
Never made it to Africa (yet) but 400gr projectiles a bit much.
Although the only deer I have shot with it was with a barnes x point back in 2001.
Fire forming load with 375 HH brass.
Done for me professionally so dont have details.
Through the chest, lung and raked across maybe 6 ribs at about 40 odd yards.
Guarantee you that bullet didnt really mushroom in that situation.
Still dropped like a stone without a kick
Considering you drop a few grains in weight when using copper it was probably the same as a 400gr conventional softpoint.
I did get an exceptionally cheap.packet of federal 400 trophy bonded and would have got more as didnt have any pocket money for the week but really should get another next week

Next I'm going to load the 350 TSX and I think that it will produce near identical velocities with the same powder charge

OK, I figured out that 93 grains of 2000MR was at the base of the 350 TSX with lite compression. Loaded the 93 grains and recorded 2715 FPS, that's close enough and that bullet will take anything

Well, I really have to thank you... The 416 Rem is my favourite of its class, and your studies about it is very useful and enteresting
May you tell us barrel lenght, brand of brass and primers?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IlaCourtne

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!