416 rem. for elk

John rice

Reaction score
Would a 416 rem. in a model 70 safari express be good for elk?

It would, is it ideal, not really. I think you would be better served by a 300 win mag or a 338 wm. shots can be far and a flatter shooting cartridge would be a better choice. Wood can be a factor in wet conditions and drastic climate shifts, but wood has worked for the last couple centuries. But if you already have the 416 and you really want to hunt with it, go for it.

Not really. 308 or 300WM if you plan on sniping them.

It will certainly get it done and with a fairly light for caliber bullet you could stretch the range a bit. But order of preference for me from light to heavy would be .270 / 7mm / .30-06 / .300WM. The .300WM being my first choice with a 180gr bullet. As James points out, the ranges can be long depending on where and when you hunt.

Well, it’ll certainly kill one! I think it’s a bit much, though. .270 is probably the minimum I’d use, then things along the lines of .30-06, 7mmRM, .300WM, .338Fed, etc would be near ideal. I’d lean toward heavy for caliber, premium bullets, like I do for anything north of whitetail.

Depending where you are hunting, if hunting dense lodge pole covered pockets, the 416 RM with no or a low powered scope would work perfectly. Hunting large parks, basins and areas where cross canyon shooting is likely the 7mags, 300’s and 338’s are a great way to go. Not to many elk I have shot checked in with me and made a plan on where I wanted them to be the next day. I killed a nice bull one day at 25 yards in the cedars with a 338 RUM. It worked perfectly but was the wrong set up for stalking in the thick. I’ve also watched bulls walk on the ridge over from me while I had my trusty 45/70 ghost ring sighted lever gun in my hands. I would not take a shot much over 100 yards with that rifle due to ethics I maintain elk hunting. I took a stupid shot once and lost a cow, I promised I would never do it again and I haven’t. My point to this novel is regardless what you choose to hunt elk with, set your personal limitations with the rifle and stick to them.
BTW a 350 gr TTSX would make a fine elk bullet out of your 416 and would give you a very nice range. Enjoy your hunt!
Cheers,
Cody

It will certainly get it done, however for elk hunting with father shots sometimes, a .300 or .30-06 will do great.

I've done a lot of elk hunting, all of it in Montana. My outfitter lists a 270 as a minimum. A hunting buddy used a 308 and it's on the light side if a 300 yard shot is required. A 30-06, 7mm mag, 300 WM or 338 WM are probably the ideal calibers. I used a 7mm mag for a long time, but switched to a 338 WM the last few years. I took my son-in-law on his first elk hunt this past November and he used a 300 WM to take a mule deer and an elk. The elk was at slightly over 300 yards.

I really believe anything over a 338 WM is more than you need. Will it work, yes, but it's more than you need.

Concur with @375 Ruger Fan completely.

My wife's primary elk gun is her 308... but she doesnt shoot at distances beyond about 200 yards..

My primary elk gun is a 7mm WSM... I really dont shoot at distances beyond about 200 yards either (the place we typically hunt is pretty heavily wooded for Colorado, and the longest possible shots are all <200)... the 7mm WSM is just what I take for some reason (my 308, or even my 7x57 would be more than enough at the distances I am typically shooting)..

Anything more than 338 is significantly more than needed on elk IMO..

But if you have a 416 that is just dying to go on an elk hunt... by all means.. take it and use it..

I am actively looking for an excuse to take my 375 out of the safe and use it on something here in NA this next season :)

Would a 416 rem. in a model 70 safari express be good for elk?

Now if you are trying to justify the purchase of a 416 Rem, HELL YES it will work, go buy the rifle!

Like most of the above posts, I agree that the 416 is not ideal for long range work but will get the job done.
If the 416 is all you have and you are comfortable shooting it, use it.
Or use this hunt as a reason (not an excuse) to purchase a 7mm/300WM/338...etc

You didn't mention what optic you have mounted on the rifle, if any at all.
This would play into my decision as well, as to the farthest distance you plan to shoot at.
Also, being able to practice with the rifle/optic/load at the distances you are comfortable with.

Good luck with your decision and upcoming hunt.

416 RM would be an outstanding elk cartridge as long as you are using the right bullet and keep shots under 300 yards.

i highly recommend my own personal load of a 300gr Barnes TSX over 81.5gr of H4895 in Hornady brass using a Federal 215 primer. this load yields 2700fps from my Winchester M70 and the performance on game has been fantastic.

i would sell every other rifle in my collection before i sold my Win M70 in 416 RM... its just too versatile.

-matt

The question is would a 416 Rem be good for elk. He didn't ask for a lot of opinions on other cartridges that may be suitable. To answer the question, yes it is good, within the parameters of its performance, which all cartridges have. I prefer to be close enough to the elk that spoilage or unethical other hunter behavior is not a concern so If I draw an branch-antler elk permit this year I'll be using a 404 Jeffery.

The question is would a 416 Rem be good for elk. He didn't ask for a lot of opinions on other cartridges that may be suitable. To answer the question, yes it is good, within the parameters of its performance, which all cartridges have. I prefer to be close enough to the elk that spoilage or unethical other hunter behavior is not a concern so If I draw an branch-antler elk permit this year I'll be using a 404 Jeffery.

So @Ray B , didn't you just give an opinion on some other cartridge? Just saying..........

Last edited:

nope, he just said what he was going to use.

-matt

Thank you for the clarification.............could have sworn he stated an opinion on another cartridge, other than the OP.

I really believe anything over a 338 WM is more than you need. Will it work, yes, but it's more than you need.[/QUOTE]

Observant readers will note that there is a difference in objective between sentences that include "YOU NEED" as noted above, and "I ...USE".

Last edited:
I'm going on an elk hunt next fall in Wyoming.... The rifles I have that are suitable are a .375 h&h and a .416 Ruger. The .416 might prove to be the taker because it is a little lighter. The next step down in my cabinet is a 6.5x55 but it will stay home. I have no doubts a .416, 350 grain woodleigh at 2,550 fps will take elk out to 350 yards with a bit of holdover.

I'm going on an elk hunt next fall in Wyoming.... The rifles I have that are suitable are a .375 h&h and a .416 Ruger. The .416 might prove to be the taker because it is a little lighter. The next step down in my cabinet is a 6.5x55 but it will stay home. I have no doubts a .416, 350 grain woodleigh at 2,550 fps will take elk out to 350 yards with a bit of holdover.
I meant 340 grain woodleigh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaSelf

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!