.416 or .458

blkpowder50

AH senior member
Reaction score
For hunting dangerous game in Africa, from Elephant on down, and you had to choose between a .416 Rigby or a .458 Lott, which would you choose.

Tough question, I only had a 375 H&H up until this last spring and then I bought a .416 Rem and .458 Win., a lot of my decisions where based on ammo prices and availability. But I like both of your choices, the 416 Rigby will give you more range on long shots, it's a nice caliber, I love it. Plenty for elephant.

BP

More information is needed to give you a good answer.

The only choices you are giving to chose is either a 416 or a 458 Lott. Why not the 404?

For Dangerous Game, Are you talking Elephant, Rhino, Cape Buffalo, Lion, Leopard, Hippo, Crock.
And you have eliminated any plains game being taken by Dangerous Game only hunting.
So what will you do about bait animals for the lion, leopard and crock, and will they be shot with the 416 or 458?

With the two choices you are letting us choose between i would have to go with: The answer would be a 416 Rigby or Remington.

I used a .375 H&H on dangerous game and was very satisfied with it, until I used it on an elephant. Felt under-gunned. I had a .416 Rigby in the past, but was unhappy with the recoil so sold it! I now use a .404 Jeffery, which I found has more a push and less of a slap than the .416, and is very satisfactory.

But that wasn't your question. I would say neither of the guns you asked about are necessary for any dangerous game except elephant. And while I have never used either the .416 or the .458 on elephant, I have used both, and I prefer the .458, just becuase I find it has less kick (which may only be function of pushing about 20% more lead - 500 gr vs. 400 gr for standard loads). While not everyone would agree with me, and while the .416 Rigby is a classic calibre that likely has more fans then the .458, shooting more gun than you (or I, actually) need does nothing more than reduce practice, or cause a flinch, or both (in my case).

BP

More information is needed to give you a good answer.

The only choices you are giving to chose is either a 416 or a 458 Lott. Why not the 404?

For Dangerous Game, Are you talking Elephant, Rhino, Cape Buffalo, Lion, Leopard, Hippo, Crock.
And you have eliminated any plains game being taken by Dangerous Game only hunting.
So what will you do about bait animals for the lion, leopard and crock, and will they be shot with the 416 or 458?

With the two choices you are letting us choose between i would have to go with: The answer would be a 416 Rigby or Remington.

The choice was a bolt action rifle in 416 Rigby or 458 Lott for all DG including elephant,rhino,hippo,cape buffalo,croc,etc and any plains game. Either can use lighter bullets too,but most people say the Rigby.

I guess I am not one of the normal ones, I have always liked the 458 WM and from what I have heard the 458Lott preforms a little better, yet just a little more recoil. So the vote from me to you would be the Lott, guess there's just something about a 500+ grain bullet hitting something that can eat and or stomp me. Best of luck in your choosing. And a final note: neither would be a bad choice, like that helps in making your decision.

The choice was a bolt action rifle in 416 Rigby or 458 Lott for all DG including elephant,rhino,hippo,cape buffalo,croc,etc and any plains game. Either can use lighter bullets too,but most people say the Rigby.

for what you require the .416 rigby is the more versatile of the 2 calibres. it is very effective on ele and downwards, and will give you more reach, and is more pleasant to shoot.

I have owned and shot both, the .416 Rigby or Rem is a more versatile caliber and has better penetration. I also agree it is more pleasant to shoot.

The wise advice will be the .416,but going with my heart I love the 500 grainers.

I own both caliber, a 416 Blaser Safari rifle and a Krieghoff 458 double.
Pros of the 416:
- More comfortable to shoot
- Longer shots possible (I have shot a 41" sable at 240 yds, dropped dead)
- Larger choice of ammunition and very good knock down power
Pros of 458
- Heavier grains, helpful for close quarter shots (saved my life on a buffalo charge, last shot at 3 feet)
- It is an "emotional" caliber, old fashion and quite physical to shoot

If I had to choose between the two, 416 would be my bet. It is much more versatile and you will rarely shoot anything other than very big game (elephant, buff, hippo) with the 458!
Now, this being said, coming back to camp after a successful hunt with a 458 and feeling a little "souvenir" of your hunting on your shoulder is something by itself...

I shoot a .416 Ruger. Pretty much the same as the Rigby and Rem. I have taken animals from an Elephant down to a Grysbok. (DGS for both), and plains game with a Barnes 350 Gr TSX. A very versatile weapon, and good at 200 yards for Sable (TSX). Rifle is comfortable to carry and shoot.

As much as I like the .458, If I could choose only one gun it would be the .416 . You have no idea how bad it hurt to say that. I do love the .458 WM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg