.416 isn't grouping well!

Dittos on the Past Super Mag Plus Recoil Shield. I don't do any large bore load development work without it. BTW I'm very glad you got things sorted out, and it didn't cost an arm and a leg to do it. Let us know how your loads perform over a chronograph.

Thanks chaps. When I look at One Day's picture of the mounts I think that could have been one of the issues. I had initially put the mounts on the end of the dovetail which looking back was a bad idea! We live and learn.

I was very relieved when my friend shot the rifle first at the range and placed three shots on a 2" bull at 50m. That told me things were looking up, and after a few more tries to get used to the trigger he'd pulled the groups right in. I then followed suit, my mind filled with both confidence and a feeling of "if he's shot it that well then I'll never hear the end of it if I can't!". I shot similar groups to him using up the last of my low loads and then improved on them a little with the higher ones.

I do think that a fully stoked round will be at the limit of what I enjoy regarding recoil. I expect that will improve as I shoot the rifle more - I intend in the mid term to cast and load RCBS 350gr gas checked lead bullets so I can cheaply put a lot of rounds down the rifle at informal targets. I will drive them as hard as I can tolerate and keep using the gun as regularly as I can for a while. I also have some 300gr Barnes bullets on the way which will better suit the game we have here, so will get a bit of field experience using those too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross