416 Hydrosolid

Will 416

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Has anyone had the chance to use the Woodleigh Hydrosolid on a buff that could report performance? Also, was this round more suitable in the traditional “solid” role or in an expanding role? I would think solid, but it advertises as having a wound channel comparable to an expanding type bullet. What do you guys think? I’m directing this to experienced hunters, but those with open minds to new technology. Thanks in advance.

@Red Leg and @Wheels both have a ton of hunting experience and have used the Hydro. Wheels is a little short on the technology department though . ;)

Has anyone had the chance to use the Woodleigh Hydrosolid on a buff that could report performance? Also, was this round more suitable in the traditional “solid” role or in an expanding role? I would think solid, but it advertises as having a wound channel comparable to an expanding type bullet. What do you guys think? I’m directing this to experienced hunters, but those with open minds to new technology. Thanks in advance.
I have used the 300 gr Hydro on North American black bear and on PG in Mozambique. I hunted buffalo on that Moz hunt as well, but used A-Frames (with typical first shot lethal results). I concluded that the Hydro is simply a more effective solid. The largest African game on which I used them were Nyala and Waterbuck. Both were one-shot kills, both were double lunged, but both, in my opinion, took considerably longer to expire than a similar shot by a TSX or A-Frame. Those observations tracked with my experience with black bear. I am also confident that they delivered more of a wound channel than a traditional solid - but nothing like a quality SP. By the way, I also used them to take game as small as red duiker and suni, where they performed exactly like any other 300 gr solid.

I concluded, were I going after elephant, the Hydro would be my first choice. I am not a second shot solid proponent when it comes to buffalo, but many are, and it would be outstanding in that role (I much prefer a full magazine or two-barrels with TSX's or A-Frames). However, if you have a requirement for a solid, it and the North Fork cup-point are the only two I now recommend for Africa. They work on the little guys while offering just a bit more on the bigger critters if they have to be used in that role.

I’ve used Hydros heaps on buffalo, from little Hydros right up to the big ones... the damage a soft does with the penetration of a solid (except even better at perfect straight line performance with greatly reduced risk of tumbling).

My mate Paddy decked a huge buffalo with a Hydro from his .416 Rigby. He loves that combo!

I’m reloading Saturday - 400 grain Woodleigh hydros.
Won’t get a chance til September unfortunately but will advise when I get a buff.

If you want to know how Woodleigh Hydrostatic projectiles perform, then please read this research paper. Woodleighs are reported to have the necessary deep straight line penetration (see last paragraph on p118) to humanely dispatch stranded whales.

To avoid creating a hyperlink between AH and elsewhere, put this in a search engine:

academia.edu/19200086/Validation_of_the_use_of_firearms_for_euthanising_stranded_cetaceans

I use their 180gr PSP in my .30/06, and their 500gr RNSN and FMJs in my .458WM. These projectiles perform superbly if kept within Woodys published velocity limits.

Cheers!
Tim (y)

Since I was tagged, I will speak up. My experience with the Hydrosolid is limited. I have used them on elephant and a couple of pg. I have not shot an elephant with a brain shot, but see no reason there would be a difference to a quality solid. On a heart lung shot there does seem to be a larger wound channel than you would get from a normal solid. Since solids are used on elephants, the hydrosolid seems the way to go to me. As a side note, the skinners were puzzled by the remains of the nose that fragments at the entry point.

On buff, I would not use hydrosolids if I was hunting herds. You will probably have a pass through and the ph may not allow you the shot of a lifetime. Bachelor groups would probably be the only time I would consider useing a hydrosolid. I have never shot a charging buff, but agree with Red Leg. An A-Frame, TBBC, TSX type bullet will reach the brain, or spine if the head is already lowered. The best use of a hydrosolid would be if the buffalo runs after the first shot, which will probably happen. Then a hydrosolid would be a great raking shot and should reach the vitals through the rumen.

300 grain .375 Hydro, frontal brain shot on bull elephant.

Also put a couple through a Cape Buffalo as finishers. Bull was already down from a 300 gr Peregrine Bushmaster in the chest but wasn’t taking any chances of him getting up.

Deep straight line penetration, not sure a Buffalo can hold one inside. Hunt report (not quite finished) below:

https://www.africahunting.com/threa...alo-plains-game-with-nyamazana-safaris.47141/

@Mark R , Did you not use these on your Hippo?

Yes Marius, it is my 'go to' bullet for large game and I used it on the hippo with you last year. Shot just in front of the ear there was no question on bullet performance with pretty major fracturing of the skull surrounding the brain. I have used these also on Cape Buffalo ( 1 x bull and 1 x cow) with outstanding results. I have also shot a few Aussie water buff with them in my 416RM. I have never had complete pass through though except for the hippo head shot. I will be loading it for elephant in 2020 in my 450NE and have used them on donkey and wild boar in my 338WM. I must say they are my favourite........

Cheers,
Mark.

You guys suck...suck I say.
All this talk of the Woodleigh Hydro has me wanting them in 375H&H.
Been reading about how good they are for long time now, but alas I don't reload.
The only "factory" offering is from Federal and they haven't made any in almost a year, and also have no plans on doing so.

I'm gonna have to start reloading.
You guys SUCK!

You guys suck...suck I say.
All this talk of the Woodleigh Hydro has me wanting them in 375H&H.
Been reading about how good they are for long time now, but alas I don't reload.
The only "factory" offering is from Federal and they haven't made any in almost a year, and also have no plans on doing so.

I'm gonna have to start reloading.
You guys SUCK!

Not sure but I think Norma manufactures using Woodleighs.

Yes they do Ray, but unfortunately not the Hydro's....

Cheers,
Mark.

Yes they do Ray, but unfortunately not the Hydro's....

Cheers,
Mark.

Indeed. For solids in the larger calibres they load Woodleigh Solids in the "African PH" line, but there is also a "Norma Solids" line with what I think is a monometal construction of their own making. Never heard much about those - anyone here tested them?

Also, Swift has responded to the Hydros with their Break-Away Tip, which to my eye looks like the same thing. I.e plastic covered cup-nose solid. Apart from the bore-riding nose, compared to the stright cylinder shape of the Hydro. Anyone with experience of those?

As Mark R stated above, only with the Weldcore Soft Nose.
Indeed. For solids in the larger calibres they load Woodleigh Solids in the "African PH" line, but there is also a "Norma Solids" line with what I think is a monometal construction of their own making. Never heard much about those - anyone here tested them?
The only "solid" they make is the Norma mono-metal solid, not the Woodleigh Hydro.
Also, Swift has responded to the Hydros with their Break-Away Tip, which to my eye looks like the same thing. I.e plastic covered cup-nose solid. Apart from the bore-riding nose, compared to the stright cylinder shape of the Hydro. Anyone with experience of those?
I was going to see how the new Swift Break Away solids shoot, but at the price of $170 per box of 20, I've decided to wait.
Federal was loading the WH for about $90 per box.
I also have not heard anything from the field on these bullets, while the WH praise is non-stop.

Reactions: cmk
From my info source I believe federal will be loading the Woodleigh hydros very soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross