.405 Winchester and Cape Buffalo?

CRS it is a Simson, Between the wars manufacture. Very well balanced and so far it has shot everything from hornaday factory to Woodleigh hand loads very well. I need to add a recoil pad to get it out to the correct LOP 15in vs 14 1/4 (Long Arms).

AZDAVE - I just read about a Simson shotgun to .405 conversion over on another forum and I saw your post on that thread also. That is a very pretty rifle and well done kit. I joined the forum to chat with Birdhunter50 about the rifle and learn more about where I might find a good .405 double.

CRS, I am also a member on that forum and read about that conversion. Mine is a factory built double rifle. the only small blemish is 300m folding leaf sights is gone. 100 and 200 are there, but I don't really see using it for a 300yard prairie dog sniper so I can live without it. I hope you find one as they are just a really nice rifles. If I came across one in my searches I will forward you the info.

Thank God for Woodleigh, Northfork, Hawk et al.

Those folks really do help keep the old stuff running in a way that enables them to keep up with the new stuff.

Tarbe,
Amen to that.
In my rifle, the 300 grain Northforks at 2250fps make it a whole 'nother thing for taking the big and bad. Did you see my Asian water buff report on the NF site a while back? Dead before it hit the ground!
For the real big and real bad, the 400 grain Woodies at 2080 fps do the job also.

sorry to drag up an old thread but does anyone know what 405 win ammo availability is like on the dark continent?

sorry to drag up an old thread but does anyone know what 405 win ammo availability is like on the dark continent?

If it's there expect to pay 1.5 times what you normally pay.

Take the 405, as you will get more satisfaction using it on buff than your run of the mill 375 that everybody and their uncle are using. I'm sure glad I did that.

Take your own ammo or expect to pay about $100 a box for the Hornady stuff.

Its no run of the mill 375 its an A Francotte best. I just dont know why but I keep hankering after a double

I just dont know why but I keep hankering after a double

I know why.

It's the same reason many of us hanker for a double, as well.

It is because we are rifle loonies...otherwise known as gun nuts.

Tim

I'm just curious......is the .405 Winchester "enough gun" for hunting cape buffalo? I know it meets the caliber requirements (it's bigger than .375 diameter......but so is a .44 magnum, and I wouldn't use one of those on a cape buffalo), but does it have enough energy? My research shows a 3oo grain bullet (soft or full patch solid) at 2200 fps.
Enough gun, or would you use something else?
Thanks for your input.............

Only if you can fire a good premium grade 400gr bullet at over 2000 Fps.

If you intend using 300 gr bullets, rather use a 375.

I would however not want to have one in my hands when following up on a wounded buffalo that is for sure! Once wounded they can absorb an amazing amount of lead.

Norfolk Shooter,
Thank you for bringing up this old thread- now I can show you my .405 DR.
With red deer hind:

In the box:

Showing off QD mounts' Thete is also a peep sight that fits the mounts.

Design and weight takes away all 300 grain recoil and makes 400 grain pleasant of the bench rest.

Attachments

• 51984_600x400.jpg
    51984_600x400.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 190
  • 56534_600x400.jpg
    56534_600x400.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 176
  • 57039_600x400.jpg
    57039_600x400.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 200
Last edited by a moderator:
My Ruger No.1 in .405 Winchester got a scope.....Zeiss 2,5-10x48 Diavari #4.

It is hard to find a mount that fits a Zeiss inner rail, but Recknagel made it.

DSC04812.JPG

Now I am ready at least for the Texas hog hunt ....

For the angry buff I think, the .450/400 3" is the better chioce.....

:cool:

HWL

That's a
My Ruger No.1 in .405 Winchester got a scope.....Zeiss 2,5-10x48 Diavari #4.

It is hard to find a mount that fits a Zeiss inner rail, but Recknagel made it.

View attachment 381487

Now I am ready at least for the Texas hog hunt ....

For the angry buff I think, the .450/400 3" is the better chioce.....

:cool:

HWL
Nice looking rifle there!

Reactions: HWL
It would not be my first choice . But with critical shot placement and a proper bullet , it can definitely be done ( especially in the context of a client hunter ) . I am personally quite fond of Northfork’s bonded core 300 grain soft nosed bullets ( hot handloads ) for the .405 Winchester calibre . A double lung shot on an African Cape buffalo with such a bullet , would be absolutely devastating . Northfork should definitely manufacture their cup point solid bullets in this calibre , as well .

I would not recommend it for a professional hunter or Problem Animal Control officer , however .

Yes, it's enough gun for buffalo. Teddy Roosevelt used it for lion and rhino.

The Winchester M1895 is also chambered for 30'06 and 270win both of which are loaded to higher pressure limits than the 400gr loads that basically match the 450/400. It sounds to me like a great choice for anything that one would use the 450/400 for and with a reputation for reliability and double the magazine capacity what's not to like! Lower cost too.

Per Prof Mawla said "Northfork should definitely manufacture their cup point solid bullets in this calibre , as well ."

And they do ! One NF 300 grain .411 CPS at 2250 fps from my Winchester 1895 .405 WCF killed a water buff stone dead and it hit the ground so hard that the head bounced. Range 45 yards and the bullet destroyed the front shoulders, heart etc and was recovered under the off side skin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg