404J rifles custom build or secondary market?

If a guys is going to the trouble of building a 404 Jeffery, I think it needs to be a 4 down/drop box magazine. If not you blow a little bit of 404 cool, buts that’s just my take.
Coming from the double world, I'm thinking 1 + 3 is plenty. Then again, I don't see a man-killer in my near future thanks to COVID travel and economic chaos. Heck, thinking about a plains game trip to Africa, the only flights I see on Delta right now go through Europe which is a real turn off for me (I love traveling in Europe but, using Europe as a layover is not good IMHO even if my rifles make it to Africa in serviceable states!).

Hippos and Buffalo aren't on my trophy 'bucket list' so, I'm good there. If I win the lottery and become able to afford an Elephant, a new rifle would be pocket change assuming I don't use my 470NE double.

That leaves big cats and other things which are honestly a long ways off too. For big cats and large plains game, I'd probably do a 375H&H or some other similar option which is probably 1 + 5 (possibly 6) though the 358 Norma Mag would probably be a viable option as well.

As a "ONE AND ONLY" rifle, a HEYM Express bolt action in something like a 450 Rigby would probably be my focus today though a 416 Rigby would be a good one as well. I do occasionally think about selling the 470NE double because the hunt it was bought for is very unlikely to happen now. If things change, I could always replace it if I go for the Big Five with a lottery win (come on PowerBall!).

I spoke with Dennis Olsen for gunsmithing and I am now really excited and on the hunt for a Winchester Model 70! I also had a really awesome phone call with a forum member that further solidifies my planned path to a 404J.

My 404 J was built for me from an FN Mauser 98

It allows 3 rounds under a closed bolt

I never carry a rifle with a round in the chamber

The rifle is one of a pair, its sister being a 9.3 x 62

I put great store in endless practice and rifle drills - the two rifles being similar ensures that muscle memory is transferable between the two

Hi Sid,
Since I own four very different .404J, I like to think I am qualified to give an opinion.
1. Original Jeffery rifle in .40J with a Bell and Carlson stock, functions perfect 3rd mag.
2. Rigby rebored to .404j by Rigby. Functions perfect 3rd mag.
3. Winchester M-70 classic, Functions perfect 3rd mag. More on this.*
4. CZ 550 re barreld, re stocked 5 rd mag. Trijicon RMR
* M-70 went to a "known" gunsmith who was to install "Sunnylhill extended bottom metal". Unfortunately he used Sunnyhill standard mag bottom metal. very disappointed.

The original Jeffery rifle is the "handiest", I take care of it, but I do not worry if some N.P. Ranger bumps it with the clip of his AK-47 or if it is being used as a client rifle and the client stumbles in the mud with it, or if it gets rained on. After 100 yrs. it is still working fine.

If I was in your place I would go with a Dennis Olsen M-70 in .404J with Sunnyhill extended magazine.

Of course this will require a custom stock. I would add, NECG sights, bbl band swivel and EAW scope mounts. I personally love the .404J caliber. It seems to do what my .416 Rigby does, but is a real pleasure to shoot. My wife shoots Professionally a CZ .404J and .450-.400 double. (Heym).

We are using the latest Hornady Bonded cartridges. I am not so happy with the brand that uses green plastic caps, I will not mention the brand!

Cheers, Lon

I( have built 2, one was from a 375H&H ruger RMS.My current 404 is built on a Buska BBK-02 action. I sent the barreled RMS action off to Pac-nor and they installed the barrel and chambered it I installed the sights and had the barreled action Cerakoted. It didn't require any rail work to feed and shoot well. It is owned by a AH member. The Buska was also sent to Pac-nor and I had to do a few strokes with a file and polished the rails to get it to feed properly; sights installed, Cerakote and put in a bell/carlson stock. I normally would have done a english walnut but wanted to also take this one to Alaska.

Hi Sid,
Since I own four very different .404J, I like to think I am qualified to give an opinion.
1. Original Jeffery rifle in .40J with a Bell and Carlson stock, functions perfect 3rd mag.
* M-70 went to a "known" gunsmith who was to install "Sunnylhill extended bottom metal". Unfortunately he used Sunnyhill standard mag bottom metal. very disappointed.

The original Jeffery rifle is the "handiest", I take care of it, but I do not worry if some N.P. Ranger bumps it with the clip of his AK-47 or if it is being used as a client rifle and the client stumbles in the mud with it, or if it gets rained on. After 100 yrs. it is still working fine.

If I was in your place I would go with a Dennis Olsen M-70 in .404J with Sunnyhill extended magazine.

Of course this will require a custom stock. I would add, NECG sights, bbl band swivel and EAW scope mounts. I personally love the .404J caliber. It seems to do what my .416 Rigby does, but is a real pleasure to shoot. My wife shoots Professionally a CZ .404J and .450-.400 double. (Heym).

We are using the latest Hornady Bonded cartridges. I am not so happy with the brand that uses green plastic caps, I will not mention the brand!

Cheers, Lon
Lon,

Your post is HUGELY appreciated! In a slow Safari market and tough economics here in the USA, I still hope I will stumble upon an older classic 404J that isn't priced out of reach.

However, the M-70 rebuild is probably a very close facsimile to what the classic British rifles were in their heyday and are priced within reach of most hunters today at ~$3K. The weight, balance, and handling of the M-70 sounds like a real winner for me to use in the field CONUS as well so I have the skills to be effective in Africa when Adrenaline or the "Pucker Factor" is off the chart away from camp!

Best Regards,
Sid

Have a Parker Hale 404J New In the box - expect three months delivery to your door from Europe -

With the US Federal Government chaos at the moment, with a House impeachment, and a focus on the Washington DC lockdown for Biden's Presidential inauguration with 3 times as many troops at the capital complex than in Iraq and Afghanistan, I'm not going to attempt an international import at this time.

My last money order sent in the mail took 20 days to arrive and I have a set of Leica binoculars that are MIA in USPS Priority Mail with no tracking information available.

I sincerely hope things return to normal soon but, with divisive national politics, I'm not hopeful. Heck, with certain state governors preferring to throw away vaccine as opposed to giving it to someone, I'm hoping some public backlash will get the vaccine into arms instead of trash cans right now.

Best Regards,
Sid

Hi Sid,

Cheers, Lon
Hi Lon,
I think if I had my time again, I would have either 6x 404 Jeffery in camp, or 6x Winchester 416RMs, and nothing else. Currently have 5x 375H&H, 2x 416Rigby, soon 2x 404Jeffery, 1x 435 PH Express. The 416 rigbys as you know do a brilliant job and always feed well, but that oversided powder capacity just adds sharp recoil. You are obviously a 400 caliber fan, and yes the 404 Jeffery boots much less for the same result. From your experience, can you recommend a couple of NEXT builds.? disregarding cost.
Q - What would be the specs of your next scoped 404 Jeffery.?
Q2 - What would be the specs of your next unscoped 404 Jeffery build.?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.