404 Jeffery v 416 Rigby head to head

Another good article found by an AH member. I have both calibers in Ruger RSMs. The .404 has been to Africa enabling me to make a one shot kill on a buffalo. My .416 Rigby hasn't made it yet, but I hope to make it in the future. I am fully confident I can make a one shot kill on a buff with it if given the chance. Time will tell!

As a NRA member I get American Rifleman but not American Hunter.
Gonna have to start checking the website for other articles.
Thank you for the info and excellent article.

The author of the article, Phil Massaro, is a member of AH and an occasional poster.

Does anyone know what bullets are in the photo in the article and what size Allen wrench is needed? :whistle:

416rigby_inset2.jpg

Attachments

• 416rigby_inset2.jpg
    416rigby_inset2.jpg
    407.4 KB · Views: 454
The author of the article, Phil Massaro, is a member of AH and an occasional poster.

Does anyone know what bullets are in the photo in the article and what size Allen wrench is needed? :whistle:

416rigby_inset2.jpg
I believe they are Cutting Edge Safari Raptor and they look wicked good.
I believe they use a 5/16 or 11/32 allen key to tighten them up (y)

Yet another boost for the venerable old 404 Jeffery. Now that The Montana Rifle Company has them as a standard offering I hope more AH members will get the bug. Guys looking for a "working" DG rifle need look no further.

I've got mine in the works. Tom Petty called me today with an update and it should be here by September. He said he was going to handle it himself and that it would be a "show rifle." That's what my MRC 06 is and it is a real beauty. Those guys are a pleasure to work with.

My vote is the 416 Rigby.

In this case I'd go with the 404 BUT if I were making a custom rifle in this league I would actually go with something even more obscure. I would build a .425 Westly Richards, just to be different. In it's original loading it will do everything the 404 and all the 416's will with exception to the 416 Weatherby offering.

I find this subject quite entertaining. We all have our favourites, I have more experience with deer calibre rifles but the same applies. Everyone will shout their corner and say why their choice is best but fact of the matter is if the shot is placed well they'll all do the job.

I liked the look of the Rigby as it seems to be quite a flat shooter for plains game. But when you look at the specs the difference is a couple of inches of drop, which when you're shooting at a target the size of a dinner plate matters very little!

I have both, and have shot both in Africa. Each has taken buffalo and hippo, among other things. My only real observation is that the .416 kicks harder than the .404, but I'm not convinced that it really hits any harder (although the data proves otherwise, but that difference strikes me as not terribly meaningful in everyday life). Apart from that, I would be more than happy to have either one if I was lost in the bush.

Tom Petty called me today........

Wow. I'm impressed. I thought Tom Petty, Won't back down, so he was Free Fallin, and Learning to Fly, Into the Great Wide Open, with An American Girl, going to Mary Jane's Last Dance, while Running Down a Dream, cause his Guitar Gently Weeps! But I may just be having a Breakdown with a Refugee or Rebels.:)

Sorry. My mind goes off the rails occasionally.

The data is out dated and has been for years...The 416 Rigby has the same powder capacity as the 416 Wby and in fact the 416 Rigby is a 416 Wby with the belt cut off..Using max loads of IMR-4831 you can get up to 2700 FPS with the Rigby or Wby..and 2600 plus FPS with a good bolt action 404 Jefferys, but folks are still using old world stuff at 2100 for the 404...I used my 404 at 2400 FPS for years with 400 gr. bullets. I used 2300 iwth my 416 Rem with 450 gr. Woodleighs.. I used 2400 FPS with a 416 Rigby which I soon sold as it was a big cumbersome rife on a big action and weighted 11 pounds or close...I used my 404 at 2613 FPS but found I got better penetration and overall performance at 2400 FPS and it seemed to kill better.

The data is out dated and has been for years...The 416 Rigby has the same powder capacity as the 416 Wby and in fact the 416 Rigby is a 416 Wby with the belt cut off..Using max loads of IMR-4831 you can get up to 2700 FPS with the Rigby or Wby..and 2600 plus FPS with a good bolt action 404 Jefferys, but folks are still using old world stuff at 2100 for the 404...I used my 404 at 2400 FPS for years with 400 gr. bullets. I used 2300 iwth my 416 Rem with 450 gr. Woodleighs.. I used 2400 FPS with a 416 Rigby which I soon sold as it was a big cumbersome rife on a big action and weighted 11 pounds or close...I used my 404 at 2613 FPS but found I got better penetration and overall performance at 2400 FPS and it seemed to kill better.
That's interesting Ray, thanks. The .423 450gr factory ammunition loads seem to hover around the 2150fps mark - I'm wondering the reason for this. I don't handload but a lot of my friends do :)

In this case I'd go with the 404 BUT if I were making a custom rifle in this league I would actually go with something even more obscure. I would build a .425 Westly Richards, just to be different. In it's original loading it will do everything the 404 and all the 416's will with exception to the 416 Weatherby offering.
Ah I love the smell of nostalgia in the morning .... :)

The more I read about this rifle & performance the more I like it. For those of us who have used a stripper clip, great!. Also easy to handload using .404J cases and Woodleigh bullets. Ballistics seem to fit it inbetween the .404J and .416Rigby. Damn ! that's another charismatic blast from the past on my bucket list. If you build one, please post lots of photos. Thanks (I think)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg