Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
Lifetime NRA member, Lifetime SCI Member
I didn’t want to hijack the thread regarding the crimping dies:

Im started to work up some loads with Barnes banded solids, woodleigh solids, and Barnes TSX (Haven’t bought A frames yet).

In previous conversation with @Shootist43 recommends 84g of H4350. According to the Hornady manual the recommended load is “72- 79.9 max”. Barnes manuals does not list the 4350.

My question is do you more experienced 404 loaders recommend starting lower “72” as suggested by Hornady and work up? Or just load the 84 and see?

I doubt you will find many people willing to state in writing on a public forum that you should start with a load 4g over book max.

It is assumed that 404 is used in the Tropics where it is mighty hot. So bullet manufacturers are conservative in load data. Even if it can be loaded for colder climate one cant guaranty it will not slip and mske it to Tropics. Safty first.

My Woodleigh manual shows a range for H4350 of 80-89 gr. with a 400 gr. soft. I shoot 82 gr. H4350 with a 400 gr. Swift A Frame. With a 400 gr. North Fork flat point solid I use 80 gr. H4350. Some manuals are more conservative than others.

I figured I would start at 80 grains and work up. I finally received my dies and will be loading some this week. I appreciate the info!

My Woodleigh manual shows a range for H4350 of 80-89 gr. with a 400 gr. soft. I shoot 82 gr. H4350 with a 400 gr. Swift A Frame. With a 400 gr. North Fork flat point solid I use 80 gr. H4350. Some manuals are more conservative than others.
What kind of velocity are you seeing?

In my 404, 84 grains of H4350 for 400 gr A frames and 84.3 grains of H4350 for 400 gr Break a way solids will put each in the same hole at 50yards. I’m not certain on the velocity from my barrel, but the tables would suggest approximately 2,300fps.

This is the table I used.
647A8A05-5979-49BA-A907-53E1E629E4D9.png

I'm going to try around 78gr of N150 when my shell holder finally turns up

My question is do you more experienced 404 loaders recommend starting lower “72” as suggested by Hornady and work up? Or just load the 84 and see?

The .404 Rimless is a low pressure cartridge for a good reason.

.... it works flawlessly in hot climates.

Do not give up this feature for a few nonsens joule.....

Should you really need more power, a well loaded .404 has to offer,... go for a "bigger" cartridge.

HWL

Andrew, using 84 Gr. of H 4350 and 400 Gr. Swift A frames both of my 404(s) shoot under an inch. Velocity out of my CZ was 2300, 2309 & 2306 for three shots. I may have said this before but I'll say it again, with results like that, I've no need to look further. BTW that was Von Gruff's accuracy load. with the exception that he was using 400 Gr. Woodleigh bullets. I also use Norma Brass and a Federal 215 Primer.

Andrew, using 84 Gr. of H 4350 and 400 Gr. Swift A frames both of my 404(s) shoot under an inch. Velocity out of my CZ was 2300, 2309 & 2306 for three shots. I may have said this before but I'll say it again, with results like that, I've no need to look further. BTW that was Von Gruff's accuracy load. with the exception that he was using 400 Gr. Woodleigh bullets. I also use Norma Brass and a Federal 215 Primer.

I won’t argue that that’s absolutely impressive accuracy and consistency!!! I will also be using norma brass and federal 215s. The only bullets I currently have are 400g Barnes banded solids and 400g woodleigh weld cores. I need Some A frames but this will do for practice. I’m not sure I’m confident enough in my loads to hunt DG....

Have you hunted with your hand loads?

Last edited:
I'd use the Woodleigh Weld Cores without hesitation. Yes I've hunted with my handloads. I took a SCI "Gold" Eland with a single well placed shot. The animal never moved, just collapsed. I can send you via PM a QuickLoad summation of Von Gruff's if you'd like to see it.

I'd use the Woodleigh Weld Cores without hesitation. Yes I've hunted with my handloads. I took a SCI "Gold" Eland with a single well placed shot. The animal never moved, just collapsed. I can send you via PM a QuickLoad summation of Von Gruff's if you'd like to see it.

Impressive! That sounds great, I’d like to see it. I’m a novice reloader at best. The weld cores are difficult to find

Andrew, attached is the QuickLoad simulation of the 404 Jeffery Load we've been discussing.
Capture.PNG

Thank you!!! I’d be more than happy with a 2321 at the muzzle. I think the data from Quickload and everyone’s testimony says it all.

I’ll be setting up the new charge master and throwing some loads Friday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jostepan

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois