404 Jeffery gunsmith

KHohertz

AH member
Reaction score
I have been lurking on this board for some time now and have decided to build my own 404. I have a Winchester 300 RUM donor action and a supergrade stock that I will use. Was just wanting some suggestions of possible gunsmiths that would be a good choice to perform the work needed to be a dependable DG rifle. Any help would be appreciated.

I am in the process of doing exactly what you are considering. I recently bought a Win Mod 70 Super Grade in 300 RUM for doing a 404 Jeff conversion. Got the idea and input from several other AH members. I originally was going to have Hill Country Rifle do the work, but they wouldn't touch it, stating that it was too difficult to get flawless feeding needed for a DG rifle. I then checked with Wayne at AHR and he said sort of the same thing. So I finally contacted Dennis Olson in Montana and he said he could do it. He sent me a list of options and for what I wanted, it will run about $1100. I purchased a Krieger barrel for $385 and will have it shipped directly to Dennis. Delivery time for a 404 barrel is approx 5 months. If you go the same route, you might save a few months if you order a Kreiger barrel. Mine will be made sometime in May and I bet they'd do both of them together. Just a suggestion.

Contact info for Dennis.

Dennis Olson
500 First St.
Plains, MT 59859

email is dgolson@montana.com

Thanks for the info. Yes I was told the same from Hill Country Rifles as well. I have a few of their guns and was hoping they would do this one as well. I will contact Dennis ASAP. Thanks for the info. Do you mind sharing some of your options that you chose? Will get in touch with Kreiger this week also.

ITEM DESCRIPTION
1 Fit the barrel
2 blueing
3 stamping the barrel
4 Feed
5 Barrel recoil lug
6 Cross bolt (Super Grade already has one, so adding a second one)
7 Inlet the barrel
8 bedding
9 NECG front and rear sights
10 drill and tap scope mounts and receiver for larger screws
11 barrel ring

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoraceBrei

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!