404 Jeffery dies

Lhleggtowner

AH senior member
Reaction score
I am looking at getting some reloading dies for my upcoming 404 Jeffery. I can find Hornady for less than 100 bucks. RCBS and Redding is double the price. Look I really like Redding but double the price seems pricy. What do and how do you feel ? What kinds are you fellows and gals running. Thanks in advance.

I've got the Hornady dies for my 404 and they work fine.
I also have a set of Lee collet dies for it. Great for practice ammo- no need to lube, easier on the case, longer case life. But that die isn't going to resize the case when it needs it.

If you think about what a poorly placed shot on a high $$ game animal would cost you, the extra money for the Redding dies does not sound like a bad deal.

I switched out 8 of the 9 calibers that I load to Redding when I found out how much better the bullet run out was and the effect that it was having on accuracy.

Yes, this is just one more opinion and it's worth what you paid for it, but I thought I'd offer one more point of view.

Good luck with whatever choice you make!

I have a set of Hornady dies, but I prefer Redding. If you want to purchase my Hornadys so that I could buy some Reddings, PM me.

I have Hornady 404 dies have no problem with them. More accuracy to be gained by getting extra box of bullets or two and putting them down range in hunting positions than spending more on dies. Now if this was a bench rest target rifle I would definitely go for the redding but that’s a totally different game. Just my opinion.
Shawn

I use Hornady dies and brass.

It is Redding Dies and Norma brass for me, I also had Lee make me a Factory Crimping Die. Actually I have two 404(s) one a CZ the other a Winchester. Both rifles shoot under an inch with my reloads.

RIP 404 Jeffrey.

Oh, sorry. Read that post to fast.
Not gonna lie, my first thought when I saw this thread pop up just now was "Ah damn, I don't know them but RIP." before I noted it was a reloading thread and realized "Ohhh that kind of dies..."

Id opt for RCBS or Redding for the 404 or any caliber../Redding are best, RCBS are mighty close...I don't like the bullets seating die system on the Hornady and hear complaints that the stems break from locals and they showed them to me...

I have a set of CH4D dies for my 404 (couldn't find a set here in Canada when they were required). I'm happy with them. If I had my druthers I would prefer Redding. If I recall there was an article I read a few years back comparing die drands. Redding tolerances are a bit tighter than RCBS, Lyman, Hornady etc, hence the usually higher price.
I use Norma & Hornady brass. They both run fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg