404 Jeffery Custom Build

Capt_Oscar, were those groups shot with factory ammo or reloads? Your three shot group is good enough to hunt with for a fact. That being said, your group size might be improved upon. Von Gruff's "Accuracy Load" for the 404 produces sub MOA groups in both of my rifles as well as many others. You may want to give it a try. BTW your new rifle reminds me of an old commercial that included the words "it will take a lickin and keep on tickin." LOL

I like it! Congrats on a great rifle.

I have a traditional blued wood stocked custom built 300H&H. It looks like the typical African style rifle. Express sights, ebony fore end, etc.

I also have a Cooper 300H&H that looks a whole like the OP's rifle. Black with red webbing B&C composite stock, fluted barrel, fluted bolt, detachable magazine, no sights, etc.

The two rifles couldn't be more different. The only thing they have in common is the caliber but I like them both.

Capt_Oscar, were those groups shot with factory ammo or reloads? Your three shot group is good enough to hunt with for a fact. That being said, your group size might be improved upon. Von Gruff's "Accuracy Load" for the 404 produces sub MOA groups in both of my rifles as well as many others. You may want to give it a try. BTW your new rifle reminds me of an old commercial that included the words "it will take a lickin and keep on tickin." LOL
It was just leftover ammo (handloads) from my other 404Jeffery - a single shot TC Encore.

I have some factory Norma and Hornady but will do a load work-up this summer. This rifle should produce 1 hole groups, in my opinion.

I didn’t even know Dallas would do a caliber like that, was this 2 years out?
A little less then 2yrs (22mo). He quoted me 18mo but in fairness we had some COVID supply and incredible industry demand issues to work through.

Dallas will build what you want. I'm sure he'd go bigger if asked. His work is professional grade in every way. No detail missed...

Defiance actions are super did one in 30-06 when they first came out with crf beautiful rifle super smooth even after ceramic coating
Love the 404 J did mine on win 70cfr action tack driver did the job on my first buff. 470 for last one

Ladies and Gentlemen... WE HAVE A SHOOTER! 3 shots at 75yds. Second time producing a tight grouping like this one. Although this group was shot while locked in on the bench. It provides a quality baseline as I transition to sticks. I also conducted an expansion test with 400gr Woodleigh RN. My test is a heavy catalog (dry compressed paper to simulate a heavy hide) a large 2.5gal water jug, a small branch of dry wood or 2x4, then 3 additional 1gal water jugs to a second catalog and a couple more water jugs to capture (just in case).

0811220913~2.jpg
0811220931a.jpg
0811220931.jpg
0811220931b.jpg

Attachments

• 0811220931.jpg
    0811220931.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Load data (please approach starting 8% below my max.) This is a stout load @2380fps
0811221059a.jpg

As a fellow lefty, that’s pretty slick. Been thinking of building something with that action myself. Thanks for sharing!
Now that's a true hunting rifle!
Built for it's intended purpose. I REALLY like it.

Ladies and Gentlemen... WE HAVE A SHOOTER! 3 shots at 75yds. Second time producing a tight grouping like this one. Although this group was shot while locked in on the bench. It provides a quality baseline as I transition to sticks. I also conducted an expansion test with 400gr Woodleigh RN. My test is a heavy catalog (dry compressed paper to simulate a heavy hide) a large 2.5gal water jug, a small branch of dry wood or 2x4, then 3 additional 1gal water jugs to a second catalog and a couple more water jugs to capture (just in case).

View attachment 482538View attachment 482539View attachment 482540View attachment 482541
Outstanding.

Great Caliber, it does a proper job!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois