JPbowhunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
G'day guys,

On the back of a previous thread i have done and since guys here convinced me to build a 275 rigby rather than buying one I've become a little addicted to the idea of making a rifle.

It wouldn't be straight away but I narrowed my next calibre which will be a bigger one to either a 9.3 or a 404, i like the idea of a 404.

Wondering, if I was to a rebarrel something into a 404 jeffery, what would I need? What kind of adjustments if any are required to the action, magazine etc. To get things working well?

Cheers,

I looked hard at options to build a 404J here in the US.. its too long to fit in a standard mauser 98 or p17 enfield action without doing a good bit of work on the action itself (in addition to the "normal" modifications required to convert a 98 or P17 to a big bore magnum, such as opening up the bolt face, opening up the rails, etc..).. so I decided to go with 416 Taylor instead (458 Win Mag and its children such as the 416T are about as big/long as you can go on a standard 98 action without having to start taking steel off the front and back of the action)...

That said... that a look at some threads @Shawn.54 has put up on mauser projects.. He has built a 404J on one.. it doesnt look to be that difficult if you have access to a decent machine shop and the skills/knowledge to use the tools.. or access to a gunsmith that knows how to do the conversion..

Another option if you just want to rebarrel is to look for a rifle in 300 RUM or 338 RUM. That seems to be a pretty common way for people to get into a 404J as well... (I think with a RUM all that is required is a rebarrel and a slight opening up of the bolt face.. )...

Hi JP... If you can find a Winchester Model 70 in 300 Rem ultra mag your well on your way. Or a Rem 700 in .338/.300 RUM. CZ/Brno 602 is another option. Best of luck.

You can do a 404 build off most 375 H&H magnum length actions. (i built one off a Ruger RMS that was a 375H&H to start) The 9.3x62 can be built off a standard length action. (I have built several off mauser 98 actions FN and military VZ24"s). Both are great calibers. I think that a 275 rigby, 9.3x62, and 404 Jeff is a great 3 gun battery for anywhere in the world hunting.

My .404J was built off a FN mauser action by @Von Gruff The only problem with the 404 is getting a supply of projectiles in NZ, .416 diameter are a lot more common and easier to get, although being in Aus you should be able to get the Woodleighs pretty easy (they are hard to get in NZ).
The advice of a CZ550 or BRNO 602 as a build platform is a good one.

If you are even a little handy with a few tools and prepared to put a little time in to the project then building on a good 98 action is very rewarding and of course the 98 action is THE action for these iconic but thoroughly modern cartridges. Would you rather take a 98 actioned 404 Jeffery to Africa or put up with one of the also rans
Note this is with a very large tounge in cheek --maybe

Am I imagining things or does EVERYBODY on AH just go out and build rifles?
Members have spare parts laying around that they put together and "Wow, look I have a new DG rifle", like it's no big deal.
What the hell?

Not all of us have the skills and a proper shop to do a rifle build, but I would say that a lot of us can tackle Trigger upgrades, Barrels swaps, or stock re-finishes etc

Just a passion BeeMaa.
Not all of us have the skills and a proper shop to do a rifle build, but I would say that a lot of us can tackle Trigger upgrades, Barrels swaps, or stock re-finishes etc
Thanks guys, now I don't feel too short between the legs.
I'm going to the kitchen to make myself a wine spritzer.

DSC_0127 (2).JPG

Pictured is a .404 Jeffery built by Tipton burns some years ago. It is built on a pre-64 M70 magnum action with Lothar Barrel, Legend stock and Nikon Monarch African scope. It is a vey handy rifle and recoil reasonable. About the only detraction to the .404 is that there is a very limited supply of cheap bullets for it. there are several very good bullets for actual hunting, so that isn't a problem.

To cite a great line in an article from Joe D'Alessandro on Realguns.com, "My talents lie in shipping and receiving."

Thanks guys, now I don't feel too short between the legs.
I'm going to the kitchen to make myself a wine spritzer.

I just installed a new vinyl tile floor in my kitchen. I was either that or convert my .338 win mag to a .404J. Lol.

I know enough to know that I don't know enough about firearms to be screwing around with the internals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg