8x68

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
OFAH
Hunted
Canada, USA
Looking for 404 Jeffery reloadable brass. Preferably RWS but will take Norma. I have relatives in the US so US residents can respond as I can have it sent to them.

Thanks for the reply. Huntington's also has Norma as does Midsouth. There are a few others but their prices are a bit on the high side. I was hoping to get lucky and find some RWS. Each time I see some I'm a bit too late. Midsouth seems to have the better deal on a box of 25 at this point due lower shipping cost. I'll wait and see if someone has a special deal on shipping or brass sale. I have 20 BELL cases that a friend gave me so at least I have something to shoot when the rifle shows up. CH4D is shipping me dies. I'm a bit leery about Hornady brass as the reviews have been mixed. The store I usually get the heavy calibre reloading products from here in Canada suggested I go with Norma, or RWS if I could find it. He really didn't want me to purchase the 404 Hornady he has.

My experience with Hornady brass has been somewhat mixed as well. Some better than others, but decent overall. The .375 H&H and .30-'06 brass I have is good stuff. The .223 and .243 not so much...
That Jeff brass is certainly not cheap! :) Let ya know if I come across anything.

My experience with Hornady brass has been somewhat mixed as well. Some better than others, but decent overall. The .375 H&H and .30-'06 brass I have is good stuff. The .223 and .243 not so much...
That Jeff brass is certainly not cheap! :) Let ya know if I come across anything.
Thanks. Unfortunately if you want to shoot the big boys then one must fork out the big $$$. Not as bad as shooting my 450 Rigby though. Ouchy $$$. I got lucky. Midway had a sale on Norma brass which included 450 Rigby so I bought 50 for $103. I had some Hoernber brass which is OK but I find the shoulders quite soft. Thinking about annealing them.

Have about 10 pieces of once fired Norma. About the same with Hornady.

There yours if you want them.

Just fire me a pm with the address you want it sent to.

All the best.

I purchased Hornady ammo , it worked out cheaper here in SA to shoot the ammo at the range and then use the brass.

I have had zero issues with Hornady brass. I don't know what the issues are that some apparently have but I don't.

I guess they who had problems may have been overly picky? The main issue seemed to be that it was softer than some of the thicker brass like Norma. I don't have any Hornady brass. I have Hoerneber Remington, Federal, Winchester/Western, Dominion brass (when it was the good stuff), RWS, Norma, & Musgrave to name a few. A lot of the brass I have I have had for over 30yrs. Mind you there was about a 20 year stretch where I barley shot any of it due to "life" getting in the way.

The issues I have had with Hornady brass are:
Loose primer pockets on .223. This is not from hot loads. First time reloads and pockets are loose to the point that I made them shoot and leave's for coyote hunting with the AR.
Rough "orange peel" texture to outside of case on both .223 and .243. Varying degrees, some just slight and others more noticeable.
Once again, overall I've been pretty happy with Hornady brass.

I have used Hornady brass in various cartridges, mostly large bore, but some '06, .308, .223 and others and had no issues. Not saying anybody else is nuts, just my own experience.

I guess they who had problems may have been overly picky? The main issue seemed to be that it was softer than some of the thicker brass like Norma. I don't have any Hornady brass. I have Hoerneber Remington, Federal, Winchester/Western, Dominion brass (when it was the good stuff), RWS, Norma, & Musgrave to name a few. A lot of the brass I have I have had for over 30yrs. Mind you there was about a 20 year stretch where I barley shot any of it due to "life" getting in the way.

I hate that when life gets in the way. It prevented me from going to Africa over 20 years ago, but will never happen again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you