404 jeffery at work in Lapland

VTT

Reaction score
Media
I have been reading this forum for years dreaming of a safari rifle of my own. In february this year I came across a 404 jeffery in Mauser 98 action for a great deal and went for it.
Added Meopta 1.7-10x42 on top of it and had the barrel shortened to 20". Had to learn to reload ammo. After finding out about South African Peregrine copper bullets worked out a load and this is now my first hunting season with the jeffery. I hunt moose and brown bear above the arctic circle in Finland.
hirvi.jpg

VTT the 404 Jeffrey is more than up to the tasks you are currently using it for. We can't get Peregrine bullets in the states, I've tried several times. What do you use for a load? Have you shot it for group, what velocity are you getting?

Bullet: Peregrine VRG-3 400grain
Powder: Vihtavuori N550 81.0grain
Primer: Federal GM215M
Brass: Norma, trimmed to 2.85"
COAL: 3.54"

This shoots under 1MOA groups at 100 yards, haven't measured the velocity but I'd assume it's around 2200-2300fps.

Did you notice a significant difference in the response of the animals compared to the calibers (if so, which ones) used before?

Last edited:
VTT, according to my QuickLoad software program your load develops 2237 FPS from a 20 " barrel. if you ever chronograph your load please let me know how accurate the "prediction" was.

Just for giggles I Maxed out a load using VV N550 using that same bullet. You can go up to a max of 83.6 Gr of powder for a velocity of 2312 FPS with 4746 lbs. of energy

Reactions: VTT
Did you notice a significant difference in the response of the animals compared to the calibers (if so, which ones) used before?
So far I haven't noticed big differences for better or worse. I will post if I get a chance to really test the gun in a thicket.

Great stuff! I am about to start reloading the Jeff myself. I went for a Meopta 1-6x24 Optika on my .404 Jeff.

Have some Peregrines, think I will use N150.

Scrummy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross