404 Finally Finished!

Bert the Turtle

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Several years ago, I decided I needed a 404. Early in 2011 I chose Reto Buehler to build it. Got measured for the stock at SCI 2012 in Vegas. Took quite a while before GMA had enough orders to do a run of left handed actions.

I prefer tang safeties, so that is what I've got. He specially designed and built it just for me. Superb quality work. Excellent trigger. Just took it out tonight and it is not bad at all to shoot. I think that is because it fits me perfectly, something I've never had before because I have long monkey-like arms. He couldn't believe his stock fitter got the measurements right because I'm only 5'10" but the length of pull is over 15 inches. So we re-checked, and it was right. Like I said, monkey arms.

If took a while to find the wood. If anyone is contemplating a rifle build, I'd suggest looking for wood right away because it may take a while to find one you like that has grain suitable for a big rifle. He finally located the blank in Switzerland of all places. I'm not a fan of cheek pieces, and they are not necessary if the stock if built to fit. It shoulders like a shotgun and the sights are lined right up like they are supposed to be. It is surprisingly nimble for a dangerous game rifle.

It also has a quick detachable z6i, but I'm going to enjoy it with the irons for now.

Now I have to decide what to use it on first. I just got back from Namibia less than a month ago, so I'm thinking it is going to be a whitetail out the barn window come rifle season.

Attachments

• DSCN1595.jpg
    DSCN1595.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 268
  • DSCN1597.jpg
    DSCN1597.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 262
  • DSCN1602.jpg
    DSCN1602.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 269
  • DSCN1615.jpg
    DSCN1615.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 261
  • DSCN1610.jpg
    DSCN1610.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 261
  • DSCN1614.jpg
    DSCN1614.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 267
  • DSCN1601.jpg
    DSCN1601.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 302
its a bueatifull looking firearm bert .
the stock is spectacular looking wood grain and color
im sure your happy with it and will hunt many animals with it
specially after waiting so long for it
enjoy :beer:

That is stunning! You must look like an orangutan in a suit!:rolleyes: With arms like that! Only thing wrong is you posted all the pics backwards:confused: LOL! Makes it look like a lefty gun:banghead: Seriously though, its a beauty and you should enjoy it. The .404 Jeff club is getting bigger all the time. Try around 72grs of IMR4064 with the Barnes 400gr TripleShock. Speed is about 2200fps and accurate in my CZ.

Congrats, an absolute stunner, a real winner! I hope you have many happy days afield.

Gorgeous rifle Bert! Those GMA actions are a work of art. I had the opportunity to touch off a few rounds of a GMA rifle in .404 Jeff, like spreading soft butter on warm toast.

Whitetails with a 404, that should be interesting.
At least you'll be hunting with it.

You should be excited. Very nice rifle.

very nice looking rifle , enjoy !

Absolutely beautiful rifle Bert, and in a superb caliber. Friends for life.. :meyou: :beer:

A beauty, I like all the details.

Congratulations, what a gorgeous rifle nice to see its a lefty also the perfect setup.

Thats Stunning,,,as we say in Minnesota "thats prettier than a New Set of Snow Tires"

Thats Stunning,,,as we say in Minnesota "thats prettier than a New Set of Snow Tires"
yup thers my first laugh for the day
you've made my morning rob

I'm glad you all enjoyed looking at it and thanks for all the compliments.

Awesome, the metal to wood fit looks perfect. Have a soft spot for .404.

cheers
Chris

Great looking rifle. Congratulations.

Bert Beautiful Rifle, love the wood grain and Iron Sights. Awesome! :beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SibylLasse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,