AZDAVE

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa,Namibia, Alaska,lower 48
I have been working a 400 Whelen off on on for a while, fitting it in between some furniture projects for my better half.
The actions is a VZ-24 that still has the lion on top of the front ring. Stock in a richards microfit AAA walnut and set up as a irons only
rifle. I didn't need another big/meduim bore rifle, but when i talked with @Milehighshooter and have been a fan of Elmer Keith I decided to build one
Had the same gentelman fit the barrel and chamber to the correct version. Plan on trying to get it to the range in the next couple weeks. then will have to put it in line to take on a hunt.

IMG_3409.JPG
IMG_3410.JPG
IMG_3411.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice rifle,
Do you have a case or dummy round to show?

Beautiful wood and I love the straight bolt handle.

Very Nice work Dave.
I look forward to your range test reports.

Your velocities with 400 grain bullets should be up in the same range as my 1895 .405 WCF which I closed out at just under 2100 fps; That was plenty for the Cape Buff I shot in RSA with 400 grain Woodies.

FYI, a friend of mine has reported 2157 fps with 400 grain Woodies out of his Winchester 1895 .405 a few months ago and I thought that was great. However he continues to tinker with his N133 loads and is off chasing 2200 fps. He did acquire a pressure test system to keep track of the pressures, so he should not exceed what the 1895 will safely handle, which should be around 50,000 psi. I am betting he will make 2200 fps before he departs for Africa to put .411 holes in Cape Buff.

Handsome rifle! Looking forward to your range time.

Nice looking wood! Thanks for sharing

Dave, having seen some of your previous rifles, this one comes as no surprise. By that I mean another stunning rifle. Being a staunch 35 Whelen fan myself, I'm curious to see what the 400 Whelen offers compared to the 404 Jeffery(s) already in my safe.

@bruce moulds I have started to form the brass and plan on working up a set of loads for 400gr A-frames and hornaday DGS along with the 350 Aframes and CEB Solids.

@Brent in Az It is a 1 3/8in Kickezze. I dont need it for the recoil I needed it for LOP (Have a 15 1/4 LOP) I wanted to do a skeletonized steel butt plate but there wasn't enough length in the wood.

@CBH Australia I will post a couple loaded rounds and a piece of brass when I get them done.

@Shootist43 It won't make it to modern 404 Jeff level of ballistics, should be able to match the original 404 and 450/400 level. 400 gr at 2100-2150.

@crs sounds like your friend has a solid plan for his rifle. I wish I had one of the pressure setups. I will workup my loads slowly and plan on stopping in the estimated 55 Kpsi level. (Estimated in my quickload)

@arizonajake The stock came with a #1 barrel channel and ALOT of extra wood. I have put a #7 in one of these stocks before. this barrel is a Heavy sporter at .700 at the muzzle and the barrel is 25 in long.

@USMA84DAB I had the same gentleman that id @Milehighshooter do the bolt handle and barreled action for me and we talked about how I wanted the handle. I am a fan of this style on a mauser. My next project will be a full stocked 9.3x62 (After a couple muzzle loaders). I am finally comfortable enough with my lathe to do all my own work. (Have the stock blank, action, barrel, reamer and a plan)

I have been working a 400 Whelen off on on for a while, fitting it in between some furniture projects for my better half.
The actions is a VZ-24 that still has the lion on top of the front ring. Stock in a richards microfit AAA walnut and set up as a irons only
rifle. I didn't need another big/meduim bore rifle, but when i talked with @Milehighshooter and have been a fan of Elmer Keith I decided to build one
Had the same gentelman fit the barrel and chamber to the correct version. Plan on trying to get it to the range in the next couple weeks. then will have to put it in line to take on a hunt.

View attachment 373857View attachment 373858View attachment 373859
Man that looks really nice sir!

Beautiful rifle, is is American, English, or Bastogne walnut? Also, do you plan on checkering it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg