Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, DSC Life, NRA Life, NAHC Life, Trout Unlimited
Hunted
South Africa. AK, CA, FL, GA, KS, SC, CO, MO, PA, ID, VA, WY, TX
BLUF: Looking for a 5-6 days afield trip for four guys; me, my father, my son. and my buddy. Ages range from 30 to 83. Budget is a concern, but options where a couple guys pay bigger (hunt) than the other two (observe) work as well. Suggestions/offers?

I'm thinking a WY antelope hunt with some fly fishing afterward might work. On a previous get together we all stayed in dad's motorhome (now for sale) in RMNP and up the Poudre Canyon fly fishing. This year I sprang for a cow elk hunt for them with me as an observer in northern NM.

My son would really like to do Europe, especially Poland, but so many governments are making nonsensical Covid travel restrictions I'm not ready to lose money, again, on flights and such. Likewise, my father and buddy, would be interested in Scotland. I'm thinking these are 2023 options...

I'm posting now because the crew will be together again in NM soon and this will be one of our many campfire discussions.

Last edited:
I hunted axis buck in west Texas august 2020. It was a really good experience, all free range and spot and stalk. Maybe combine an axis hunt and hog hunting to stretch days? You would need to check with outfitters how available these hunts still are after the bad freeze in February this year.

South Africa ….

Many outfitters will do two father and son packages. One PH 2x1 and one tip. Pick animals according to budget. Or ask for an affordable package of animals they have in abundance and split the packages.

Use air miles as much as possible to keep flights down. Travel without guns and borrow the outfitters.

I’ve done half a dozen trips like that with a small back back and carry on a little duffle.

Keep the trophies to minimum. One Euro mount each and have them all on one taxidermy ticket and shipped together. Or better yet just bring back pictures.

I’d rather hunt two or three times and only bring back a few trophies then have rooms full of ok mounts from one trip.

I hunted axis buck in west Texas august 2020. It was a really good experience, all free range and spot and stalk. Maybe combine an axis hunt and hog hunting to stretch days? You would need to check with outfitters how available these hunts still are after the bad freeze in February this year.
375 Fox - Thanks. What outfit did you hunt with in TX? I tried Axis Deer meat last year for my first time and it was amazing!

South Africa ….

Many outfitters will do two father and son packages. One PH 2x1 and one tip. Pick animals according to budget. Or ask for an affordable package of animals they have in abundance and split the packages.

Use air miles as much as possible to keep flights down. Travel without guns and borrow the outfitters.

I’ve done half a dozen trips like that with a small back back and carry on a little duffle.

Keep the trophies to minimum. One Euro mount each and have them all on one taxidermy ticket and shipped together. Or better yet just bring back pictures.

I’d rather hunt two or three times and only bring back a few trophies then have rooms full of ok mounts from one trip.
I've done South Africa twice and my father joined me once. Great place, but it won't work financially for my buddy and my son and father aren't interested right now. I've never been treated better than I have in Africa.

If you're up for a DIY trip, there are some pretty good opportunities to draw antelope doe tag in Wyoming and hunt on State or Bureau grounds, or use their HMA program for plenty of access.

Last year a group of 4 of us drew buck tags (had put in 4-5 years or points) and all tagged out by our 2nd day, hunting in 2 pairs, with good mature animals but not holding out for "monster trophies" either. A good amount of driving between the limited access areas, as the HMA was closed due to the wild fires, but plenty of animals moving in and out of places we could go. We also knocked on a couple doors and were allowed access to private ground, although only 1 of us actually tagged our bucks on the private, and even it was adjoining state ground.

This year 2 of 3 drew doe tags on a whim attempt. I went solo due to schedules, and with only a quick weekend trip was able to fill my tag. Spent less than $100 for Doe tag, conservation stamp, and fishing license. No guide fees or tip for the DIY approach. Travel expenses vary, depending on flights and vehicle rental vs driving, accommodations desired, food budget, etc. But can easily be done inexpensive, and lots of fun for hunters and fishers alike.

I also think bird hunts (upland or waterfowl) can be done on public ground in numerous states where travel, food and lodging are almost exclusively the costs. About the same with fishing trips.

It really just depends on what your group likes to do and how much you're willing to spend. I do a lot of solo adventures of just me in a tent, eating PB&J or similar for minimal cost trips. When I don't drive my truck or it is too far for short time turnaround, flight and rental vehicles are the biggest cost.

Consider @gizmo at the Rockin G. Lots of opportunities for everyone, depending upon their appetite & desires, skill sets.

We’d love to have y’all and we can certainly accommodate all budgets and hunt types. We’ve even got fishing.

As others said. I have never met @gizmo, but from reading his posts and what he offers on this site plus his reputation I would give him the first phone call if I was me.

MB

I strongly recommend Wyoming antelope/fly fishing as the cheapest and best western hunt out there. $1000 all in for a single hunter with cheap hotel for few days and flights. If you camp on public land, even cheaper and maybe more enjoyable as well. We tried for a great unit this year and missed the draw. Next year i will hunt an easy unit with my nephew and couple buddies just for a fun trip and time outdoors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg