375H&H or 458Lott

"Don’t let the Romance and stories of the past blur the reason why the 375HH has taken more Buff in Africa, it most likely a reflection of the clients and not the cartridge or animal hunted

What I see regularly is other hunters trying to pass on their insecurities and shortfalls onto other hunters, where instead should be encouraging them to just go and have a go and see"

Really. I am trying to understand what sort of mentality writes that sort of nonsense. Added to your observation about relegating the .375 to a wife's rifle, I am actually beginning to wonder who has the real insecurity issues. This sort of thing - it is usually found on one of the other sites.

WAB, I don't think anyone denigrated the Lott - it is a superb caliber. However, it is a fact that it is used a lot by PH's as a back-up rifle. I don't think anyone suggested it could or should only be used for that purpose. I admit to little love for the 458 WM - particularly trying to toss a 550 gr bullet. However, I just shake my head a bit when someone who owns a .375 (particularly one in which they have proven ability and confidence) feels compelled or encouraged to purchase a bigger anything for his first and perhaps only buffalo. I simply offer my experience that having played around a bit with 40's and the .375, it remains my firearm of choice for a general bag safari which includes buffalo (or lion, hippo, or croc). I think a .30 is a better choice for leopard (if legal), and I would gladly use a .40 on elephant - though would hardly feel unarmed with one of my .375's loaded with Hydros.

Look, you can go to sword fight with a broadsword or rapier. Either can be the winning blade. I really like a rapier. It is perfectly ok to like the broadsword.

Reactions: IvW
375H&H is fine...just use PREMIUM GRADE BULLETS!! I use INON Swift A Frame in 300g and have taken many buffalo...I later bought the 458 for Ellie hunting and use this as well for buff now, just because I have it.

well i have decided now and if i get a licence for a second 602 in 375H&H i will rebarrel it to 458lott and find out if i can handel that caliber best case i can if not well then i know

You won’t regret it!

Did you read Ironhorse375’s hunt report? That is precisely the situation where you will be thankful for the extra horsepower!

375 with Swift A frames backed by good solids like Northfork ( my combo) will kill that buffalo very dead! Shot placement is critical above all else. Know your gun!

I apologise for pulling things off topic but while talking big calibres. Do people use barnes bonded or tsx for dangerous game in these big bore rifles? Never hear much of it

I use 500 grain TSX in my Lott for guiding brown bear in AK and hunting buffalo in Africa and have had great results. My rifle is a CZ which I sent to Wayne at American Hunting Rifles in MT. He cleaned up the feeding issues that the Lott is know for, changed the trigger, changed the iron sights, cut the barrel 2”, added a banded barrel mount for my sling, coated the action and barrel as a rust inhibitor, etc... With the composite stock I added and shorter barrel and barrel swivel, it is much easier to carry in the bush because it lowers the rifle on your shoulder and makes hiking with it much more pleasant. I have Talley quick detach scope mounts on it and I remove the scope and sling for close range dangerous situations.

I use 500 grain TSX in my Lott for guiding brown bear in AK and hunting buffalo in Africa and have had great results. My rifle is a CZ which I sent to Wayne at American Hunting Rifles in MT. He cleaned up the feeding issues that the Lott is know for, changed the trigger, changed the iron sights, cut the barrel 2”, added a banded barrel mount for my sling, coated the action and barrel as a rust inhibitor, etc... With the composite stock I added and shorter barrel and barrel swivel, it is much easier to carry in the bush because it lowers the rifle on your shoulder and makes hiking with it much more pleasant. I have Talley quick detach scope mounts on it and I remove the scope and sling for close range dangerous situations.
Perfect! You gun is set up almost identically to my Model 70. Gary Junk (Arctic Gun Works) up in Fairbanks did the metal work on mine. He is first rate. LeRoy Barry at Canyon Creek Custom Gunstocks did the wood (I'm a sucker for pretty wood). I am surprised by all the comments on this thread concerning the recoil. I shoot mine a fair bit and don't find it bad at all. Perhaps it is the stock design. Have you found it tough from a recoil POV?

Perfect! You gun is set up almost identically to my Model 70. Gary Junk (Arctic Gun Works) up in Fairbanks did the metal work on mine. He is first rate. LeRoy Barry at Canyon Creek Custom Gunstocks did the wood (I'm a sucker for pretty wood). I am surprised by all the comments on this thread concerning the recoil. I shoot mine a fair bit and don't find it bad at all. Perhaps it is the stock design. Have you found it tough from a recoil POV?

I agree completely. The recoil has not been a problem for me. I emptied the rifle at a brown bear in May with no ill effects and have shot other bears and buffalo with it. I am 6’1” and 180 lbs. so I am not necessarily a bigger guy.

well i read the news from our hunting organasation here in sweden today and another goverment agency whant to ban calibers like 416 and 460 wetherby beacuse of the power so it mught not be possible fore me to get my lott if this passes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.