.375H&H 250gr barnes TTSX over H4350

WC86

AH member
Reaction score
First post on the site. New to medium bores and wanting to build a North American load for my 375.

I’m a big fan of H4350 from other calibers i shoot and have a lot on hand. I also tend to shoot a lot so I don’t want to burn through my limited amount of other powders in the current environment.

Given I’ve seen many loads for H4350 and other bullets I’m confident this pairing should work well. I can’t find any load data for this or the 250gr hornady gmx (the only other 250gr monolithic solid in production) to use. I’m comfortable doing some guess work but if others have experience I’m appreciative of their wisdom.

I do have a few other powders but nowhere near the supply of H4350. Also, I am planning to use some other bullets but I’m hoping to limit discussion to Barnes or Hornady monolithic solids in 250gr.

Thus far, the site has been so helpful to a shooter new to these rifles/calibers. Hoping to make a first trip across the water in the next few years. thanks in advance!

Welcome to AH. I can’t find any data for the Barnes but the Hogdon’s website shows a starting load of 76gr with the Swift. Start there and work up.

When loading Barnes bullets l always use the Barnes manual. It is a different jacket material and can cause different pressure in your rifle.

Varget or H4895, partial to the H4895 for 250's in the .375HH. But either is faster than H4350 and more suited to the 250gr projectile.

Welcome to AH. I can’t find any data for the Barnes but the Hogdon’s website shows a starting load of 76gr with the Swift. Start there and work up.
I had considered it but I haven’t really experimented much with the differences between monolithic solids and lead core bullets of the same grain. Still considering it though

I’m no expert but IMO 4350 is too slow for the 250s. I would look strongly into reloader 15.
I don’t disagree that reloader 15 will work for the job. I just can’t find any.

Varget or H4895, partial to the H4895 for 250's in the .375HH. But either is faster than H4350 and more suited to the 250gr projectile.

Same as my last response. I have 2.5lbs of varget but that’ll only go so far when I can’t get my hands on any. Given I’ve got pet loads for my 416 rem mag that really like varget I’m trying to hold on to it.

I haven’t been able to get H4895 in 8 months. I have none on the bench.
Hopefully I’ll find some of each soon though.

Hi WC86,

I have and load for the .375 H&H since 1992. Any of the 4350 can be used with the TTSX 250 grs. Would be relatively low pressure-velocity compressed loads. Perhaps you will get around 2700 f/s at most. More than enough, of course. Put all the powder the case can get. Done. Using a drop tube, 50 cm length or more, I think you would be able to put from 81 to 84 grs of 4350 without too much compression.
For the 270 grs Hornady and/or Barnes X (pre TSX with only one grove) I use 83 grs for 2700/2750 f/s in my.375 with 25" barrel, somewhat compressed load charged with a drop tube. For the 300 grs, the 4350s are, to me, the IDEAL powder. From 78 to 81 grs, with light compression.
If you want ideal pressure/velocity with that TTSX, to reach maximum SAFE velocities, there are not better powders than the mentioned R15/Varget/4320/4064/4895 of the classic powders, in that order, to me.

Thanks all for the replies. They are good for finding some left and right lateral limits. I’ve got an email out to barnes asking for some data. If I haven’t heard anything in the next week or so, I’ll probably build a ladder between 77 and 82gr H4350 to keep things safe and see where the accuracy nodes lie.

thanks again.

H4350 is a favorite powder for magnums including the 375 H&H, however I avoid mono bullets like the plague, so I don't have any load data to recommend, but from previous comments, you are on the right track. At some point there will be a problem shooting lead core bullets, but at 72 I don't know that I'll be around to be affected.

WC86, welcome to AH! Personally I use CFE223 for my 250 Barnes TTSX. Very accurate in my MRC 375 H&H. It’s worked well from eland down. Should do you a fine job in NA.
Best of luck finding an H4350 load!

WC86, I too am a fan of H-4350. I have three rifles in 375 H&H. So far I've been unsuccessful in working up a really accurate load using 300 Gr. bullets. Achieving "hunting accuracy" isn't a problem. But I see guys posting groups under an inch and I'd like to be able to do the same. Using H-4350 I'm getting sub-MOA groups from my both of 404 Jeffery(s) and a 416 Rigby.

As an update, I did hear back from Barnes. Given they haven’t tested this bullet with H4350 in the 375 H&H, they recommended the Hodgdon data for the 250gr swift bullet as referenced by meigsbucks above.
Standard recommendation of start at the minimum data and work your way up, stopping if you find pressure signs.
I also asked about the popular perception of monolithics needing more powder for any given bullet weight to generate the velocity necessary to groove the bullet without dangerous overpressure occurring. They provided a two-fold and sensible response to negate this thought process: 1. they have relief bands cut in their bullets which reduces bearing surface of the bullet on the lands. This reduces friction relative to a bullet without similar relief cuts. 2. They’ve found that their alloy is softer than some jacketed lead core hunting bullets and, as such, should be easier than those bullets to cut grooves upon encountering the lands. I found it interesting so I thought I’d pass it along. Certainly prior to loading, get your own information from them or other manufacturers and go “low and slow” as suggested.
I’ll update back when I’ve shot the ladder.

Certainly prior to loading, get your own information from them or other manufacturers and go “low and slow” as suggested.

That’s good advice, ask me how I know? I’d even start a grain or two beneath the starting load for an A-Frame. The Barnes is linger and takes up more case room. It’s definitely not an apples to apples comparison.

phil,
i can use the same loads for nos partition and swift 286 gn in my x64, for almost identical velocities and pressure signs.
same with partitions, sierra, and swift in the 280.
that said, this was discovered from starting low and working up, so do not take it as general advice.
the 9.3 286 gn barnes really is longer than a cored bullet, and eats powder space.
using slower powders is your friend when playing this game.
bruce.

phil,
i can use the same loads for nos partition and swift 286 gn in my x64, for almost identical velocities and pressure signs.
same with partitions, sierra, and swift in the 280.
that said, this was discovered from starting low and working up, so do not take it as general advice.
the 9.3 286 gn barnes really is longer than a cored bullet, and eats powder space.
using slower powders is your friend when playing this game.
bruce.

Well I did the same with a .300RUM I used to have. Assumed a safe load in Nosler Partition would be safe with a TSX. It took putting the rifle in a vise upside down and using a 2x4 with a hammer to get the bolt to open. The brass was firmly stuck to the bolt face and came out with the bolt.

So I don't know, seems like advice regarding loading safety isn't bad. You may use up a few more bullets and grains of powder, but so what?

phil,
you are dead right that always start low and see where you end up, whatever component you change.
bruce.

I found this data on barnes website

Screenshot_20200908-100451_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20200908-100508_Drive.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg