375 Winchester Safari Express sling

Mauser78

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
AFA Archers
Hi there.

what slings are you using on your Safari Express. I tried 2 Vanguard slings but they are really not comfortable walking with. I dont know if it have something to do with the barrel band. What shape or design works best?

292B05C8-D7B5-491A-86B4-3FF09E1A201E.jpeg
81D840DE-90C1-412E-A092-43A3213C719A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm interesting I have never slung mine, but I bet the barrel band does drop it down quite a bit. How much lower does it hang than a normal rifle? Musket low?

Wel that is the thing, i dont want it that low, so maybe my angle is weird, and the shape of the belts is wrong. That is what got me thinking maybe a straight belt wil work better. Maybe it is not the slings but the length, if i carry it low so that the belt make a 180 degree bend like a normal sling would it might work better. Actually i am not sure what i did, but it did not work out good for me.

I use the Galco tapered rifle sling. I had to punch a new hole to allow it to be long enough for the barrel band. I like the the look of the Murray sling and he sells one for barrel mounted sling studs.

Best sling for Africa...

I would suggest you look into Trader Keith's classic "Rifle Strap." It is THE grand classic rifle sling for Africa, with a modern twist: there are two bands of woven rubber on the inside face of the sling which makes it virtually impossible for the sling to slide down the shoulder when carried.

Mounted on quick detachable swivels, it is unobstructive enough to be removed from the rifle and folded in a cargo pocket when following game in thick stuff. It is also completely flexible and breathable, and the most comfortable, by far, in hot weather over a light shirt.

I have had a lot of slings through the years, from top quality leather (Galco, Bianchi, Murray, etc.) to a number of non-slide neoprene, rubber, etc. on all-weather rifles and waterfowl shotguns. In my opinion the Trader Keith "Rifle Strap" is the best combination of quality, portability, and non-slide stability on the shoulder that there is out there, not to mention unmistakable African style. And at $60, it is honestly priced.

upload_2019-12-26_19-34-4-png.320862

http://www.traderkeith.com/products.html

Last edited:

Attachments

• Magnum1.JPG
    Magnum1.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 102
Last edited by a moderator:
Best sling for Africa...

I would suggest you look into Trader Keith's classic "Rifle Strap." It is THE grand classic rifle sling for Africa, with a modern twist: there are two bands of woven rubber on the inside face of the sling which makes it virtually impossible for the sling to slide down the shoulder when carried.

Mounted on quick detachable swivels, it is unobstructive enough to be removed from the rifle and folded in a cargo pocket when following game in thick stuff. It is also completely flexible and breathable, and the most comfortable, by far, in hot weather over a light shirt.

I have had a lot of slings through the years, from top quality leather (Galco, Bianchi, Murray, etc.) to a number of non-slide neoprene, rubber, etc. on all-weather rifles and waterfowl shotguns. In my opinion the Trader Keith "Rifle Strap" is the best combination of quality, portability, and non-slide stability on the shoulder that there is out there, not to mention unmistakable African style. And at $60, it is honestly priced.

That's the one I was thinking of and much less expensive than Els & Co.
Both you and @Red Leg recommended this to me.
One of the few things you two can agree on. :whistle:

Personally, I use something similar to that camo version in your pics, on most all my rifles, most of them have 4 cartridge loops, I picked up at Walmart.

I pretty much just use a sling when moving from a parking spot to the woods, then I unsling, when I need to drag an animal to a more convenient location to return (if need be) with my game cart, I just open the sling to cross shoulder carry.

I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions and suggestions, bottom line....why are you needing a sling?....What and Why the intent of the sling?......Find what works and is comfortable to you and use it.

They don't have a look I love, but damn, they are really great slings.

Agreed. I prefer the standard one as opposed to the magnum. The magnum looks like a knobby tire off of a dirt bike.

That's the one I was thinking of and much less expensive than Els & Co.
Both you and @Red Leg recommended this to me.
One of the few things you two can agree on. :whistle:
LOL

It is not quite that bad .........

But it is a fine sling.

Best sling for Africa...

+1

Reactions: WAB
Hi there.

what slings are you using on your Safari Express. I tried 2 Vanguard slings but they are really not comfortable walking with. I dont know if it have something to do with the barrel band. What shape or design works best?

View attachment 327049 View attachment 327050
I don't have a M70 but use a Murray Custom Leather A-1 (long model) on my R8.
https://www.murraycustomleather.com/slings.htm
Easily adjustable, very quiet and comfortable even for my heavy rifle.
I know others have recommended a canvas sling from Els & Co.
https://www.elsfineleather.com/products-by-category?category=10
THIS is the type of leather military style rifle sling one wants on his/her rifle! Adjustable for different shooting positions using the sling and support arm for rock solid support. I have a Boyt sling I use for elk hunting and works great on my .375 and .458. Probably when hunting in Africa off sticks, it's not really necessary, but I have a comforting piece of mind to have a sling one can put into action quickly. I use a "Super Sling" brand sling on my shotguns and other rifles when carrying a firearm in the field all day as it's only purpose. Just my two centavos!

Last edited:
This!

I carry my rifle slung muzzle down on my left shoulder (right handed shooter) it's very quick to bring into shooting position when carried in this fashion.
+1

Hmm interesting I have never slung mine, but I bet the barrel band does drop it down quite a bit. How much lower does it hang than a normal rifle? Musket low?
Barrel bands were popular on classic English rifles of the golden age prior to WWII. Those rifles tend to have much shorter forends and longer barrels than contemporary rifles. The barrel band was placed a few inches ahead of that short forend so the rifle carried correctly on the shoulder. Too often the barrel band is placed on a modern rifle where it is more aesthetically pleasing than where it should be located to properly position the rifle on the shoulder. As others note, muzzle down on the off side is also my preferred carry, particularly in any sort of brush. In that case, the positioning of the band is not an issue.

I like the Trader Keith strap, because it is simple and comfortable. Over the years have tried all the padded, cobra, you name it designs, and this simple strap is the best, at least for me, by far. I discarded my leather slings a decade ago. I do have a couple of leather reinforced neoprene slings that are comfortable, but for Africa - no contest.

Though it is also a good choice in Texas! Trader Keith strap and a Rigby Highland Stalker. Classic on classic.
218376-3e9bc4acd6dc8319fb96333ff10e9999.jpg

Attachments

• 218376-3e9bc4acd6dc8319fb96333ff10e9999.jpg
    218376-3e9bc4acd6dc8319fb96333ff10e9999.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Best sling for Africa...

I really like your description and looks of this sling. Maybe it would be better than leather when hunting in a hot and or humid climate?

Reactions: WAB
I use a modified canvas MI Garand sling that has a thin piece of leather wrapped and sewn on to the shoulder area. I added detachable swivels. I like to carry mine conventionally depending on thickness and type of brush. But if "crowded" in tight formation and I need to control muzzle, can easily adjust or switch for carrying muzzle down. Most of the time by adjusting slightly loose, I can grab the butt, pull it forward, then the rifle is slung under the arm pit and carried in a horizontal position for going under stick stuff. All depends on conditions and muzzle control for others.

Another thing to consider with a sling is to practice on sticks with the sling if you are going to use a sling with sticks. Not only how to quickly get the rifle into the best position on the sticks but removing the rifle from the sticks quickly for follow up if needed- without getting the sling tangled in the sticks!

And of course necessity is the mother of invention. Here's an example of another sure enough, Africa certified hand made sling from thin webbing of some sort. Makes me thankful I have such problems like deciding the exact specs of the type sling I may want. :)

450 WattsMontana Win 70 .png
Moz muzzleloaders copy.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg