Johnny reb

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA- buckmasters
I have posted this question under reloading but have had no response. For everyone that is reloading for this what powders and bullets are you using. What kind of velocities and accuracy are you getting. All help is greatly appreciated

Sorry I missed your post in reloading. I'm using 260 gr. Nosler part. with 73.5 gr RL 15 and an OAL of 3.330 for PG and 300 gr. Woodleigh softs with 82 gr. RL 19 OAL of 3.300 and 300 gr. Hornady DG solids with 82 gr. RL 19 OAL of 3.290 for DG. You might want to work your way up to these loads, but they are working great for my son and me. Shot some last weekend and both 300 gr. loads gave me groups of just over 1/2". Good luck the .375 Ruger is an awesome cartridge, it should do anything you want it to.

I am using the 250 grain Barnes TTSX with 74 grains of Vihtavuori N150 and get great accuracy(3 shot groups between 1/2" and 1"). I have not checked the velocity of it yet.
I had to stop at 74 grains because I had no more space in the case because I had to set the bullet so deep. No signs of me getting close to max loads with that in my gun.
I plan to check the speed this summer.

And I also plan to try Vihtavuori N140 next to see how that will do.

I am also using some 300 grains round nose soft points from Partizan with 72 grains of Vihtavuori N150 that gives me about 1" groups with no pressure signs.
I have not tried to load it up more and I don't care about the speed, as I just use it for target practice because it is the cheapest .375 bullet I have managed to buy here in Norway.

I have tried both the Swift A-frame and Barnes TSX in 270 grs with good result, but have come the full circle back to my favourite bullet; the Woodleigh.
In the 375 Ruger I load the 300 grs PP with 78 grs of IMR 4350 which more or less duplicate the H&H load.
For me that is fast enough as my aging eyes restrict my shooting to a max of 170 - 180 yards.
My practise load is with the 300 grs Hornady SP which is very accurate in my rifle.

All in all...the light and handy Hawkeye African is a rifle that I have become more and more fond of after dragging it around the bushy flats and rocky koppies in Namibia, not to mention our local wilderness hunting moose in Northern Norway :)

Sorry, did not see that. Thanks, spoke to the guys and it would seem that there is light at the end of this tunnel.

I am using the 250 grain Barnes TTSX with 74 grains of Vihtavuori N150 and get great accuracy(3 shot groups between 1/2" and 1"). I have not checked the velocity of it yet.
I had to stop at 74 grains because I had no more space in the case because I had to set the bullet so deep. No signs of me getting close to max loads with that in my gun.
I plan to check the speed this summer.

And I also plan to try Vihtavuori N140 next to see how that will do.

I am also using some 300 grains round nose soft points from Partizan with 72 grains of Vihtavuori N150 that gives me about 1" groups with no pressure signs.
I have not tried to load it up more and I don't care about the speed, as I just use it for target practice because it is the cheapest .375 bullet I have managed to buy here in Norway.

I chronoed my load at the shooting range yesterday and the velocity I got was 2677 fps(815 m/s).
Decent speed, but I suspect I can get a bit more speed with N140.
Hopefully the accuracy will be good with that too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg