375 Ruger vs 375 H&H

I can't understand the aversion some have to 26" barrels.

Me too, I love the long barrels, even if they catch more brush.

Have you tried the shorter barrels? I had not. For 40 years a favorite nothing but magnum rifles and flinched at anything less than 26 inch barrel. Then I got my 375 Ruger Alaska. I chose it primarily for the synthetic stock and more weatherproof finish which I have come to prefer. It has become my favorite rifle. I can easily get velocities at equal or exceed those that a 375 H&H renders in a 26 inch barrel. I find the recoil to be very pleasant is my thick soft recoil plan is excellent. In addition, as the bench rest people will tell you, shorter barrels are stiffer and tend to be more accurate. My Alaskan gives me half-inch or better groups day in and day out. Perhaps 100 years from now people will feel a sentimental about the 375 Ruger as they do the venerable H&H.

Have you tried the shorter barrels?
Certainly, I have. I just think they balance the gun out better for me. It had nothing to do with speed or accuracy. I look at my 10/22 Ruger, it's super accurate, but kinda hard to hold still. Then I look at my Win Super Grade 7mm Rem Mag, it's accurate too, but I also find it balances well too. Part of it is the weight too, I don't mind a heavy gun as long as we are not going sheep hunting.

its been almost a month since someone's posted on this thread but I was in a similar situation to the OP so I figured id chime in. recently I was trying to choose between the 375 H&H and the 375 Ruger. I hate to say it but in the end it was a pretty easy choice, the .375 H&H won out as it has for the last 102 years. here are the basic reasons why:

- History: the .375 H&H has a solid reputation as a successful African game cartridge and is mentioned favorably by nearly every great hunter since its creation.

- power/ballistics: the .375 Ruger and the .375 H&H are nearly twins in this department with a slight edge going to the Ruger.

- price: the .375 H&H is much more affordable and available in many more loads then the .375 Ruger.

-reloading: now I keep hearing the .375 Ruger is better for reloaders but as an avid reloader I would disagree. the .375 Ruger is still a proprietary cartridge which means there is only one source of brass and they are free to dictate the price and availability. so the .375 Ruger brass can be reloaded more times then the H&H brass? if you've priced .375 Ruger brass lately you will quickly find that H&H brass is both more available and MUCH cheaper. heck, ive found once fired and even new .375 H&H brass for as little as $0.50 a piece! (gotta keep yer eye out for deals)

-matt

H&H

I get a chronographed 2,620 fps ave from my No. 1 with a 300 grain Partition (gotta love that long throat on the Ruger! Just about turns it into a 375 Wby).

And if that's not enough, then we invoke rule number 375: "Never hunt with a cartridge that is younger than you".

Case closed, done deal. Stick with the old-timer! :)

Tim

I came so close to buying a CZ in 375 H&H, didn't work out, so I bought a Ruger Alaskan in 375 Ruger, Black Laminate Stock and 23" barrel, I am so happy I went with the Ruger, it shoots lights out with just about every bullet/powder combo I have tried. I love the fact that is has the exact same bolt throw as my other main hunting rifle in 300 Win Mag. I have enough brass to last several years, plus so far I have reloaded them over 10 times. I have shot the H&H quite bit, and I am happy that I get 100fps better performance when all I was hoping for was equal in a smaller package. Hope you enjoy your 375, it is a great caliber.

Dave

I'm in the same boat of choosing which rifle to buy (although my caliber choice is a bit different) for me it would come down to ammo availability. Which could you get more easily "In Country" if your airline separates your rifle from your ammo, it wouldn't be the ruger. Frankly, it makes me nervous buying rifles chambered in proprietary rounds. Granted the holland & Holland was at one point a proprietary cartridge, but it has long since graduated to the widely available category.....the jury is still out on the ruger. Who knows wether the round will even still be loaded in a few years. Truck loads of new chamberings have come and gone over the years that the 375H&H has been with us.

How often does it really happen that a hunter experiences that the airline loses their ammo?
I have not once talked with anyone that has personally experienced that.
But I have talked with a few where their gun has gone missing. Doesn't matter much what ammo you use then.

Of course it can be good to bring a rifle in a common cartridge if you happen to forget your ammo at home:eek:
I have managed to do that when hunting in my own country and drove for 7 hours to a place to hunt Red deer and realized that I have managed to forget my ammo at home.
Good thing I had a 30-06 then, so I could just buy some ammo at the local shop and sight it in and go hunting.
That cost me only one morning of hunting.
It was worse for a friend that forgot the bolt for his rifle at home a year later at another Red deer hunt about 7-8 hours drive from home....

That experience has led me to be almost neurotic about making sure that I bring my ammo with me. Specially because the cartridges I prefer to hunt with are 6.5-06 and 375 Ruger :)

I'm in the same boat of choosing which rifle to buy (although my caliber choice is a bit different) for me it would come down to ammo availability. Which could you get more easily "In Country" if your airline separates your rifle from your ammo, it wouldn't be the ruger. Frankly, it makes me nervous buying rifles chambered in proprietary rounds. Granted the holland & Holland was at one point a proprietary cartridge, but it has long since graduated to the widely available category.....the jury is still out on the ruger. Who knows wether the round will even still be loaded in a few years. Truck loads of new chamberings have come and gone over the years that the 375H&H has been with us.

All excellent points.

I think the .375 Ruger sticks around until the next toy hits the market, but the .375 H&H will be going strong long after I'm in the grave.

I think it is funny that about the only time I hear the "ammo is not common" comments is when the .375 Ruger is mentioned. Some guys opine that cartridges such as the good old 300 H&H, 6.5 Swede, any .257 cartridge, any Weatherby cartridge, etc. are just perfect for African hunting despite the obvious problems that would be had if ammo was lost in transit. If this is such a problem I would think that nobody would ever hunt anything with a rifle that uses ammo that can not be had immediately in all locations.

Is this really a problem, or just talk?

i dont worry to much about my ammo being lost, i feel the odds are pretty low. if your ammo is lost it wouldnt be hard to borrow/rent a gun from someone else.

my main reason for choosing the H&H over the Ruger was availability of brass for reloading. 375 Ruger brass isnt common and is very expensive while 375 H&H brass is everywhere and inexpensive by comparison. in fact right after buying my CZ i found 60 pieces of once fired Federal 375 H&H brass for $20 shipped, you will never find deals like that on Ruger brass. (also found 100 pieces of new remington brass for $60)

-matt

Just talk....until your ammo gets lost! :eek:

I agree, common calibers...ammo can be found. What can go wrong....DOES. Especially with that stupid law that ammo must be a seperate piece of luggage.

And Matt is correct Ruger components, higher priced and less availability.

I agree, common calibers...ammo can be found. What can go wrong....DOES. Especially with that stupid law that ammo must be a seperate piece of luggage.

And Matt is correct Ruger components, higher priced and less availability.

Sorry to hear that you have experienced lost ammo on a trip to Africa. What airline?

Sorry to hear that you have experienced lost ammo on a trip to Africa. What airline?

It hasn't happen to me, friends of mine though. I honestly only recommend common calibers for foreign hunts, if you want to hunt with your gun. Sure they can misplace your gun too.

And I'm one of the few that doesn't pay that extortion at that airport that everyone else does. And I actually wish everyone else stop cold turkey too. Why are paying for something that should be free???

Some of best airline service, I've ever seen was actually the Canadian airports large and small.

Ruger brass new, is around the same price as H&H brass, but I am averaging over 10 reloads with the Ruger brass. I think the Ruger will introduce a whole new generation to the 375 caliber due to the lower costs associated with initial startup. Mine, with a Leupold VX 3 2.5-8x36 scope, 300 rounds of new brass, dies, and bullets to match came in well under $1500, my 300 Win Mag setup was more than that. With Howa and Savage chambering the round, That amount would be even lower.

I did a fair amount of research and the 375 Ruger is definitely not cheaper to start up or run then a 375 H&H. if you got all that for under $1500 then you found a VERY good deal somewhere or bought a used rifle and scope.

right now the problem would be finding 375 ruger brass... the only source I know is gunbroker and there aren't many auctions up for it.

-matt

I have seen both Howa and Savage rifles for well under $600 NIB, my rifle was $675 to my door NIB, scope was around $300, brass I got a smoking deal on, Hornady dies were under $30, bullets I picked up lot of 300 from a gun show for $75, I have since bought a few hundred of the Hornady 300gr FMJ at $28.50/50. I have managed to by blemished and others on sale for a decent price. Right now brass availability is a problem, I can't get 375 Ruger, have trouble finding 300 Win Mag, 45/70, and 22-250. I had powder and primers that I bought in bulk before things went crazy. I'm not bashing the H&H, I've never been big on bashing anything, I don't mind when people buy something different from me. In Alaska, I bought the 300, buddy bought the 338, we killed the same animals to include grizzly, my rifle wasn't any less effective, we were both happy with our choice. One of the things I like the best about my 375 Ruger, is that is has the exact same bolt throw as my 300, so I get to build muscle memory, my Uncle shoots the same combo, both H&H. In the over 400 rounds I have put down range in the last 11 months since I bought it, I have been very pleased with the accuracy as well. Haven't broken into my second box of brass yet. I wish you the very best with your 375, and I hope you make some great memories with it.

I love the 375 H&H. he 375 Ruger is very popular from what I hear in Alaska. I opted for an Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby for my Alaskan brown bear hunt. I really wanted to take my CZ in 500 Jeffery but was dissuaded since it's walnut / blued and it did rain every single day I was hunting. The 375 Weatherby shoots factory 375 H&H, and with 375 Weatherby ammo shoots a 300g bullet at 2700 fps easily. Best of both worlds, the XCR II is as rust proof as it gets inside and out, not pretty but accurate and very functional. The 375 Weatherby cartridge has only been around since 1945, but what the hell, I'll gamble on a new cartridge every now and then ...

BTW I replaced those ugly nickel plated rings with CeraKoted Talley QRs ...

:)

Attachments

• P1010012.jpg
    P1010012.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 424
Nice bear! I was never able to put together a brown bear hunt, wanted to do the AK Peninsula, but had to settle for a Toklat Grizzly. Looks like a good combo, I like the 375 Weatherby as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg