Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
Finally got around to firing my 375 ruger. I loaded up a 250 grain sierra bullet and fired a round. I felt that the alaskan had less felt recoil than my 338 win mag with 210 noslers. It must be that thick recoil pad and rubber stock. I felt it was quite pleasant to shoot off hand but than again this was a starting load with winchester 760 powder. Actually my 270 with a plastic butt plate has more felt recoil

I changed the recoil pad on my 375Ruger Alaskan with a Limbsaver one because I felt that the original one had the tendency to buckle sideways.

That said, I find the recoil to be very gentle.
I enjoy shooting it from the bench with 250 grain Barnes TTSX and 300 grain RN soft points loaded close to maximum.

The 375 ruger is a great calibre with very moderate recoil in the ruger alaskan model.
I shoot the ruger alaskan and recoil is simular to my 30-06 mauser. Thats using the nosler acu bonds 260gr, with 75grs sochem s365 powder. My rental rifle is the howa, and had to do some mods to get the recoil down. Recoil reducer in stock and shortened the barrel to 20". Now it even looks alot like the ruger. Standard it used to have a bite. Most people with the alaskans are surprised of how little recoil you feel. Not so with all rifles.

My wife is on the small side, and loves shooting the rifle.

Attached a photo (7x66SE vH; 9,5x66SE vH; 9,3x64), in the middle the german 9,5x66SE vom Hofe - the .375 Ruger has been released much later and is a quite close copy of the 9,5mm

With my Mauser 66, the recoil is quite hard, but the rifle has a weight less than 4kg and a classic Silver recoil pad. But the performance (270grs A-Frame) on plains game is perfect, flat shooting and deep penetration.

Bullets.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Attached a photo (7x66SE vH; 9,5x66SE vH; 9,3x64), in the middle the german 9,5x66SE vom Hofe - the .375 Ruger has been released much later and is a quite close copy of the 9,5mm

With my Mauser 66, the recoil is quite hard, but the rifle has a weight less than 4kg and a classic Silver recoil pad. But the performance (270grs A-Frame) on plains game is perfect, flat shooting and deep penetration.

View attachment 296059

If Ruger 375 is close to the recoil of my Mauser M12 Max in 9.3x62 (light rifle), then it shouldn't be too bad...my Mauser "kicks" but its no more than the heavy CZ 550 300 win mag I gave my son recoils.

Finally got around to firing my 375 ruger. I loaded up a 250 grain sierra bullet and fired a round. I felt that the alaskan had less felt recoil than my 338 win mag with 210 noslers. It must be that thick recoil pad and rubber stock. I felt it was quite pleasant to shoot off hand but than again this was a starting load with winchester 760 powder. Actually my 270 with a plastic butt plate has more felt recoil

Shouldn’t be much for you my friend. Remember I have seen you fire a 458 Lott off hand and not really flinch!

The amount of powder is different to a 9,3x62...
I use in my 9,5x66SE e.g. 89,5 grains Rottweil R904 to speed up a 270grs bullet. This kicks, while it´s told, that lager calibers like the Lott "push" and do not kick in the shoulder.

A photo of a 270grs A-Frame out of the 9,5x66SE fired on a Oryx: the bullet expanded like the catalogue promises
SAF.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerthaChristopher

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.