.375 Ruger POI shift 270gr vs 300gr

UncleScuzz

Reaction score
Howdy folks, long time lurker first time poster. I just recently picked up an original (pre barrel band) Ruger M77 Hawkeye African in 375 Ruger. Was at the range and zeroed my optic (2-7 32mm Vortex, don't hate!) at 100yrd with the 270gr (Hornady factory ammunition spire points) and got the scope somewhat zeroed. I noticed however that when I shoot 300gr bullets (whether it be factory Hornady DGX superperformance or my own handloads which are a Prvi SPRN behind 74 grains of IMR-4350) that my point of impact was about 5 inches low. So my question I suppose, is this a normal POI impact shift with 375 Ruger?

375 results.jpg

It’s not common to have same point of impact when changing bullets. Pretty decent groups. Good luck
Bruce

I normally shoot handloaded 300 gr Swift A-Frames in my 375 Ruger with a 23 inch barrel, getting about 2500 fps. Recently, I have been shooting some 250 Hornady Outfitter with 250 gr GMX, with 2800 fps, and the POI is significantly different.

So yes, POI will likely shift with different weight ammo.

Thanks for all the replies and info, this is my first medium bore rifle so anything I can learn about handloading for it is appreciated! Also if anyone has any stock recommendations? Through a lot of research here and elsewhere it seems that these original African models had a tendency to split stocks. Regardless I'll probably work on fine tuning the 300Gr load until more bullets come back to into supply.

Also, if anyone has any 300gr lighter loadings for extended shooting, I'm all ears, Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip889

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois