Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia. Australian Deer Association
Hunted
Australia, New Zealand, South Africa
Recently returned from RSA plains game hunt (Limpopo) & used a 375ruger on 6 species from Warthog to Kudu. Gun/cartidge performed great, (a lot better than I did) using 270gn Hornady factory ammo. All one shot kills from 60 to 140 metres & only one exit wound (on Impala at 60 mts & no...not bragging just making a point about the ammo). I'm going back in 2012 for buffalo & Sable & would like to hear from anyone that has used this cal. & 300 gn factory on buffs. Also does anyone know if other manufacturers are looking at producing a round for the 375Ruger.

By the way met some of the best people in world in RSA.:)

Good to hear about your success. I'm leaving for RSA/Namibia in 3 weeks and taking my .375 Ruger as well. No DG this time--only plains game. (FYI-Read a thread over on 24 Hr. Campfire from a guy who just got back and hunted buff and elephant with his. Great write up)...

In any case--For the lighter/smaller antelope I plan to use a .275 Rigby (shooting hand-loaded 156 gr Oryx) but for the Wildebeest/Kudu/Eland/Hartmanns I plan to use the Ruger. I'm taking both the 270 gr and 300 gr (RN) as they both shoot to the same point of aim out to 200+ yards. Will post more on my experience with it upon my return in mid-September. BTW--you can buy 300 RN directly from Hornady for about $40 right now. They've discontinued making that round in favor of the DGX (Superformance) rounds. I've stocked up--fun to hunt hogs with this and you're left with once fired factory brass to boot.

Cheers,

-JR

A 275 Rigby's a rare item in Oz. I think the last one I actually handled was 35 years ago. Always wanted one of those old english calibers and will look to getting a 404Jef or 416 Rigby for my next hunt in 2012. After first hunt this year Africa is all I think about. Can't wait to get back. I'll try & get some photos up on this gizmo....when I can work it out.
Haven't tried the new DGX yet but will look to trying on Sambar this winter if I'm Lucky.
Thanks for the tip & have a great hunt.

The 275 Rigby is not british, it is just the british name for the german 7x57 Mauser. It was a marketing strategy, because german guns were not popular in GB at that times. Rigby importet german mauser 98 guns and needed a good sounding name. In Namibia the 7x57 is in use for everything exept the very big ones like Eland ...... .

Greetins from Germany

Hello Moorjager, yes I,ve had a couple of 7x57's many years back, one an early BRNO was one of the most accurate centrefires I 've ever had & always regretted selling it.
Rigby rifles of any description are hard to get out here...and even harder to pay for.

Best regards from Australia

Messmate,
the .375 has been proved to be if not the best, certainly one of the best penetration calibres in the world.I own an 375H&H and use it as a backup rifle to my clients as well as sometimes they use it on plains game. With correct shot placement it will take down any animal you want. I would think twice about your ammo though. I use to use Hornady , but have stopped . Find yourself a premium bullet. After all, the money you are willing to spend on a Buff and Sable far outweighs the money for premium grage bullets. I had numerous occassions where bullets had broken up or lost its copper jacket with the hornady's. Why not try the Premium bullets from Norma called African PH. They are loaded with Woodleighs bullets and you will need a hard nose solid for the buffalo, but I guess you know that. They are a little pricey, but are simply unmatched. Or even Barnes will do. But what I have seen from Hornady, I would not be taking my chances on a Buff...

Kind Regards
Marius Goosen

Appreciate your advice Marius and yes I am looking at reloading for this cartidge. The 300 Barnes TSX and new 300 Woodleigh Hydrostatic in particular are getting good press here. The Hydrostatics are made in Melbourne and marketed thru Woodleigh and I read that some blokes are getting fantastic results on our Buffs so they will be a certainty. As for the Hornady's they worked really well on plainsgame and the animals couldn't be any deader after being hit but at the same time I was a little surprised at the amount of bullet disintegration. I'll keep hunting for a good bullet and work on some loads...cheers.

Not surprising you liked the 375 Ruger for plainsgame. If one can handle the recoil its a great choice as is its counterpart the 375 H&H..Just a wonderful all around caliber, and will work on any of the DG.

I am a big fan of the .275 Rigby (7x57 Mauser). I have owned a number of old Brno Mod. 21 and 22 and they are the best commercial rifle ever built IMO..I also had a wonderful Henry Akin 275 and loved it, I hunted with it several time with iron sights and it shoot well.

I have never been particularly caliber oriented within reason for the game being hunted. I am more concerned about bullet placement and especially bullet construction.

On buffalo I can report wonderful performances from the Hornady D.G.S & D.G.X's in my 458 Lott, though I cannot say how they will work in your .375.

In our company .375's, used as loan guns for clients, we load Federal Premiums tipped with Barnes Tripple shoks which have proved to be totally reliable and excellent performers on buff.

As a duel purpose bullet for both Buff and Sable the 300gn T.S.X would be hard to beat, i.m.o.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!