.375 Ruger herlaai info vit barnes tipped TSX 250 grains

Bertus

Reaction score
Member of
Kaapjag en natuurbewaring
Hunted
South Africa,Namibia
Hi , I am looking for starting loads and max loads for my .375 ruger using 250grain Barnes TTSX BT. I want to use sonchem S355 propellant.What speed am I looking at?
Thanks
Bertus

Attachments

• Rifle Powders.jpeg
    Rifle Powders.jpeg
    238.2 KB · Views: 1,305
Did you mean H355?

Hi Brickburn, i think Bertus is referring to the local powders we have available here in South Africa.

Bertus, kan jy asseblief skryf engels vir die mense, maar hullle kan nie die taal praat of verstaan nie. ;)

Hi Brickburn.
Thanks for the info, but I am looking for reloading info for the Barnes 250grain TSX triple shock bullet using Sonchem S355 powder.
Bertus

Have you tried a Google search for that powder and the .375 Ruger? Couple of people out there have done some similar loads and posted results. May help?

According to a big burn rate chart I found on line, this stuff falls between the US powders H380 and Win760/H414 in burn rate making it a medium to slow powder. Still faster than IMR 4350. That being the case so to speak, and using a Barnes 270 gr TSX and H380, the book shows starting loads at 76 grs and max at 83 grs and 2837 fps. With W760 it shows a range of 74 grs to 81 grs for 2815 fps. My Barnes book does not list a 250 gr bullet but does show a 235 gr TSX. As S355 falls between the two powders I show here, one could probably safely extrapolate between the two for some safe starting loads and work up from there watching for pressure signs. No doubt more info can be found on Barnes website or the powder makers.

I am going to develop some loads with the 250 grain TTSX bullet for my 375 Ruger this coming months.
I am going to use N150 powder.
I will post my results when I finally manage to find some time to do the loading and testing.

I have a 375 Ruger Alaskan and I am going to develop some loads also for the 250 grain TTSX bullet. I am thinking of using H-380 or Winchester 760. What do you guys think. Will this new barnes bullet be good enough for all plains game? It has a sectional density of .254 a a ballistic coff. of .424.

i HAVE USED THE rUGER 373 aFRICAN FOR FOUR YEARS IN aLASKA aFRICA AND cANADA. i USE h14 powder AND A 300 GRAIN nOSLER PARTITION BULLET IT SHOOTS GREAT,ONE SHOT KILLS ON CAPE BUFFALO,ONE SHOT ON aLASKIAN bROWN BEARS AND TWO SHOT KILL ON wOOD bISON. jOHN

Got some goop in your keyboard there?!:rolleyes:

i HAVE USED THE rUGER 373 aFRICAN FOR FOUR YEARS IN aLASKA aFRICA AND cANADA. i USE h14 powder AND A 300 GRAIN nOSLER PARTITION BULLET IT SHOOTS GREAT,ONE SHOT KILLS ON CAPE BUFFALO,ONE SHOT ON aLASKIAN bROWN BEARS AND TWO SHOT KILL ON wOOD bISON. jOHN

jOHN, I think you are suffering from keyboard Dyslexia....;):heh::heh:

I am going to develop some loads with the 250 grain TTSX bullet for my 375 Ruger this coming months.
I am going to use N150 powder.
I will post my results when I finally manage to find some time to do the loading and testing.

I am loading the 250 grain TTSX bullets with 74 grains of Vihtavuori N150 powder and it is not close to max yet, but I ran out of case space because I have to set the bullet deep.
I have not measured the speed yet, but I get sub 1" 3-shot groups at 100 meters with it all the time.
I plan to test some loading with N140 later on.

Morning, 74 grains S355 with 270 grain barnes TSX, 2620 fps works perfectly in my 375 Ruger.

Morning, 74 grains S355 with 270 grain barnes TSX, 2620 fps works perfectly in my 375 Ruger.

While that load would certainly suffice for all PG and lion/leopard, it only produces 4116ft/lbs of energy so would be a bit light perhaps for buffalo and elephant, but sure you already knew that.

Good evening all

Before I get jumped on, I did introduce myself at the Introductions..

I have recently bought a 375 Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan with the 20" barrel.

I need some info on the following:

What is the case length of the shell made by Hornady..

Where can i find a case trimmer for this specific shell as they are not availabale in South Africa, so i was told.

Regards

Good evening all

Before I get jumped on, I did introduce myself at the Introductions..

I have recently bought a 375 Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan with the 20" barrel.

I need some info on the following:

What is the case length of the shell made by Hornady..

Where can i find a case trimmer for this specific shell as they are not availabale in South Africa, so i was told.

Regards

Welcome JohanvB, not much reason to worry about being jumped on here, we're a pretty friendly if motley bunch. I guess I'm somewhat confused by your question as I think the important case dimensions are the same.

If you're using a case trimmer like the old RCBS version where you hand trim the case, I'm quite certain the shell holder is the same as the .375H&H as both have a .532" case head diameter. The pilot will also be the same .375 inch diameter.

If you go here you'll get a drawing: .375 Ruger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope that helps.

I am loading the 250 grain TTSX bullets with 74 grains of Vihtavuori N150 powder and it is not close to max yet, but I ran out of case space because I have to set the bullet deep.
I have not measured the speed yet, but I get sub 1" 3-shot groups at 100 meters with it all the time.
I plan to test some loading with N140 later on.

My chronoed speed with this load is 2677 fps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg