Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
USA, Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
Hey everyone, some time ago there was a thread about a replacement trigger for the Ruger guide rifle. Mine has way too much poundage on the trigger. Anyone have info on a replacement trigger with less poundage.

Have you checked with Timney to see if they have one? Also, a good gunsmith might be able to work your trigger to lesson the pull and smooth the break.
Just a thought. Good luck.

I have replaced all my Ruger factory triggers(4 of them) with Rifle Basix triggers. They are fully adjustable from 14oz to 3 lbs(if I remember correctly) and a little cheaper than Timney. It's easy to do and takes about 30 minutes to swap them out. I'm not sure which trigger is in the Guide Gun but you can contact Rifle Basix to see if they make a trigger for your model.

I have replaced all my Ruger factory triggers(4 of them) with Rifle Basix triggers. They are fully adjustable from 14oz to 3 lbs(if I remember correctly) and a little cheaper than Timney. It's easy to do and takes about 30 minutes to swap them out. I'm not sure which trigger is in the Guide Gun but you can contact Rifle Basix to see if they make a trigger for your model.
Do you recommend a 2.5 lb pull?

It's kind of personal preference and you can always adjust if you think it's too heavy or light. All of mine will adjust heavier than the 2.5 lbs that's listed on their website . I didn't mention it earlier but I put one in my CZ .375H&H too and I have it set at 3 lbs and love it.

Have you checked with Timney to see if they have one?

@johnnyblues,

The Ruger guide rifle has the LC6 trigger just like the Ruger M77 Hawkeye. Timney makes an aftermarket trigger for the Ruger M77 MKII that will fit the Hawkeyes, Guide Rifles, etc., that have the LC6 trigger. I have installed one in my Ruger M77 Hawkeye African in 375 Ruger as part of it's upgrade and transition to an all weather Alaskan rifle. While not a drop-in-fit like the Timney triggers for the Winchester M70's (pre and post 64) and Remington 700's, the installation is pretty straight forward if you go slow. It requires "fitting" the safety and replacing the sear. The sear is just a simple change out, but the safety requires some filing utilizing Dykem or layout fluid to insure just enough metal is removed. I also honed the surface with an India stone and cold blued the area where the metal removal took place. Lubricate it good, and it's good to go. Of course you need to function test it (unloaded of course) and make sure the safety holds. The instructions are pretty self-explanatory, but if you don't feel comfortable doing the conversion, then any competent gunsmith should be able to install it for you. It's a night and day difference. You can adjust the pull weight down to 1.5 lbs, but I set mine at 3 lbs. You can also adjust for over-travel and creep as well. The trigger breaks very crisply and consistently. I put Timney triggers in all of my hunting rifles if I can......

Why spend the extra money on replacement trigger? The LC5 trigger sear came be honed and spring replaced.. I had that done on mine and is a crisp 2 pound trigger pull. By trigger pull gauge it breaks like glass every time.

I've replaced the spring in the LC6 trigger on 3 of my Ruger Hawkeyes. Really easy job and it's only a $7 part. It made about 1 to 1.5 pound difference. Not huge, but noticeable.

http://erniethegunsmith.com/catalog/i29.html

What is the trigger pull out of the box from Ruger? Anyone know?

Thanks for the info. Think I'll order the one from rifle basix

3 pounds safe enough with the 375?

Just my preference, but longer than I can remember I've set my "hunting" guns to 3 lb 8 oz and "bench" guns at 2 lb. EXCEPT for one 40X at 1 lb 4 oz.

I have no issue with a 3# trigger on my hunting rifle, my Ruger M77MKII 300 Win Mag has a 2.5# trigger, I hunt and target shoot with it. I have a Remington 700VS that has a 1.5# trigger, that one is for target shooting.

I have always had Timney triggers put in my rifles set at 3 lbs. from my custom .30-06 to my custom .375 H&H that way I always have the same trigger pull. Now. I have not hunted since I left, Wyoming and I miss it terribly especially the high country when the elk are singing! I once hoped to go to Africa with my father before he died of cancer but it never happened. Now I just would like to go hunting again before I die but it may not happen. Hopefully after the surgery I am having tomorrow I can get back in the gym and then back out into the mountains. I miss that. Treasure what you have as you never know when you may loose it.

Kind of know what you're talking about Papa. Good luck with the surgery, head for the gym soon as you can, and then back in the mountains. May take till next year, but the elk will be there waiting for you. Good luck Sir.

3# is tolerable for 375 H&H, some of lighter kicking guns I would go less 2-2.5 #

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg