375 Ruger a smooth pussycat

Ygg

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Ok,
I was graciously helped along by gents in this forum to buy my first 375. In the end I decided upon a 375 Ruger Hawkeye African for reasons I detailed elsewhere.

Finally today I got a chance to go shoot it and I admit to a bit of trepidation when I pulled the trigger because I was expecting a mule kick based upon a lot of what I have read. Now I am only 5'8" and 165 lbs and never shot anything bigger than a 12ga, but I do hunt turkey with 3 1/2" magnums. More than a handful of those is enough for a day I have to say, especially out of my Mossberg 535 synthetic.

Not knowing what to expect I was shocked when the recoil was not much more than my 450 Bushmaster. This with Hornady 300gr DGS. The muzzle break is installed but so is the one on the 450 so thats a wash.
And the 450 aint bad at all.

This rifle is a pussycat and I was grinning ear to ear. I have to try it without the break someday but for sighting in and general practice not using the break is silly. Why develop a flinch or take more beating than necessary? When I practice with the 12ga magnums I feel every shot but never when I fire at a turk. My guess is that would be the same with the 375.
Only problem is not I am starting to think about the 416 Ruger......:A Secret:...just because

I have had one for a few years. With the break it's no worse than my 30-06. Soon to find out without.

I remember your original post, trying to make up your mind. Glad you’re happy with your purchase.
Now... TAKE IT TO AFRICA!

Several years back I fired four shots from a 375H&H at a huge elk. The shots missed but I recall going back to the spot that I was sitting when I fired and looking for the spent cases, just to make sure that I had actually fired the rifle- I recall absolutely no sensation of perceived recoil- so focused on the animal and sight picture. When I fired the rifle at the range I needed no empty case to verify that I had fired it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaeMorris

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross