375 Ruger 250grain GMX

Used 375 H&H 250 gr GMX on PG hunt in 2016. Shoots MOA+/- with a short barreled gun - Ruger No 1. Shot a zebra at 235 yards and a gemsbok at 255 yards - both ran a short distance. Always amused by how some hunters don't like the manner in which their bullet kills the animal - denigrating the bullet they recovered.

Here's a GMX recovered from a giraffe shot at 386 yards.
13528302_10154805705400400_7464087528664911236_o.jpg

Wow. That opened up like mad for that range.

Wow. That opened up like mad for that range.
Pretty typical for what I've seen. Impact velocity would have been close to 2,300fps. I haven't recovered many but most that I have looked like this. I did make a typo on the original post you quoted. It was 286 yards....not 386.

Last edited by a moderator:
Used 375 H&H 250 gr GMX on PG hunt in 2016. Shoots MOA+/- with a short barreled gun - Ruger No 1. Shot a zebra at 235 yards and a gemsbok at 255 yards - both ran a short distance. Always amused by how some hunters don't like the manner in which their bullet kills the animal - denigrating the bullet they recovered.

speaking for myself here , as a local South African hunter I use the meat and some bullets and calibers cause more meat damage than others , I agree with you when trophy hunting however when utilizing the meat we prefer as little meat damage as possible .

speaking for myself here , as a local South African hunter I use the meat and some bullets and calibers cause more meat damage than others , I agree with you when trophy hunting however when utilizing the meat we prefer as little meat damage as possible .

agree w/ not damaging the meat - therefore "shoot in the crease" rather than the shoulder - lethal and minimizes meat damage.

Non fragmenting bullets like the GMX can also minimize meat damage but shot placement is key for sure.

Howdy all,

I know people on here like crapping on Hornady bullets, but I never hear much about the GMX.

I am looking at the 250gr. GMX in 375 Ruger as a pretty darn good all-around plains game setup.

Does anyone have any field experience with it that they can share?

It looks comparable to a TTSX from Barnes, but of course it's not exactly the same.

Thanks,

BP
I have used that round for elk at medium distances. It worked very well and had a trajectory similar to 30-06. I also used it for boar, again with excellent results.

Always amused by how some hunters don't like the manner in which their bullet kills the animal - denigrating the bullet they recovered.

For most hunters whom keep their harvest for sustenance "how" the bullets functions is as important as the placement. So yes, a critical review of performance on a recovered bullet is important for some, if not many. Waste not, want not.

Hand loaded 185 grain gmx's in my wife's 338 Federal. I was using light bullets to try and reduce the recoil a little. The bullets performed flawlessly in Namibia, plains game. We found no bullet separation. The only recovered bullet expanded perfectly on a red heartabeest. On smaller game like springbok and eland the bullet was devastating. She was a little aft on the springbok and all internal organs and stomach turned to mush.

This is a 250 grain GMX from the Hornady Superformance .375 Ruger factory load, fired from my Ruger M77 African at a zebra at about 200 yards. Recovered from just under the skin on the far shoulder, July 2017.

upload_2019-2-19_21-26-46.png

I have to date shot 2 caribou and one moose with 250 gmx out of a 375 ruger 20" barrel. the first caribou was frontal at 60 yards, found bullet under hide on hip. other caribou was 225 yards, pinned its shoulders broadside, dead right there. pass thru, no bullet. shot a moose in the neck as it ran off about 65 yards away, quartering away. passed thru the neck bone, ended up under the hide on the far side of a hard angling shot on a 56" bull. both recovered bullets looked like @Aegis's bullet above.

also, took as back up rounds for brown bear hunting. did not shoot a bear with it BUT a clients gun went FUBAR and he borrowed mine. (and the gmx bullets) he shot the largest bear we have killed out there to date. over 10 1/2 squared. the one bullet i saw from the bear also looked just like the bullets above.

i think they work great. i considered taking them to africa on my buffalo hunt, but ended up taking my 450/400 and north fork 400's instead.

they work great , great penetration and gave me very fast kills.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg