375 rifle options

damundsen87

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
I know this topic has probably been beat to death by this point but I am about to purchase my first ever 375 H&H and I am torn between 3 rifles. Option one is the winchester safari express, option 2 is the CZ american safari, and option 3 is a very nice BRNO zkk 602. I like the stock and barrel band swivel on the winchester. I like the magnum length action and magazine capacity on the other 2. The zkk has the hogsback stock that I am not in love with and no barrel band swivel. Any insight from somebody with more experience would appreciated all three rifles are within 100 bucks of each other.

I have a Winchester safari express 375. I’ve bedded it with score high pillars and deacon. I can remove the barreled action from the stock and reinstall with no change in zero. It shoots about 1 inch groups at 100 yards. The safety lever did break and I replaced it. The action was very smooth out of the box and has only gotten better.

My buddy has a cz 550 416 Rigby the action was awful rough out of the box but is slowly getting better. I think it will come out of it as he works it more and more. I would also bed the action on the CZ as it has nothing.

I hope this helps.

You might be surprised by the hogback stock, they actually come up very well, for me at least.. Throw each rifle to your shoulder with eyes closed and see which one is closest to being on with the sights when you open your eyes. Scoped will be different of course, but overall that test might tell you about its handling.

Barrel bands are cheap- a guy could do it hisself or so what I did and have a gunsmith do it so it looks nice-

I have a Winchester safari express 375. I’ve bedded it with score high pillars and deacon. I can remove the barreled action from the stock and reinstall with no change in zero. It shoots about 1 inch groups at 100 yards. The safety lever did break and I replaced it. The action was very smooth out of the box and has only gotten better.

My buddy has a cz 550 416 Rigby the action was awful rough out of the box but is slowly getting better. I think it will come out of it as he works it more and more. I would also bed the action on the CZ as it has nothing.

I hope this helps.

Yes!! to pillar and glass bedding these. I have a 416 Rem in Win 70, a 338-06 in Win 70 and a 450 Watts in a Montana 99. I pillar and glass bedded all. They have not changed zero in years and they in effect become take-down rifles. I have a 1700 Pelican case. I take the barreled action off the stock for travel. It fits nicely in the more compact and easy to handle 1700 case. Great for transport and air travel. After re-assembly at destination, they do not change zero. The action screws and floor plates are witnessed marked to re-tighten to exact same location/tension for re-assembly.

Also, after about 1968, Winchester re-designed the right side bolt lug with a slot to ride in the right side race thus creating their "anti bind" feature. Since then all M70s tend to have very smooth bolt cycling with very little wobble and no binding at rear of travel.

Here's the 450 Watts in 1700 Pelican ready to go.

Pelican case.JPG

Last edited:
Iv'e owned a Winchester and the CZ and of the two I prefer the CZ as for the Hogback stocks I own a CZ 7x57 and a Full Stocked 308 and like them both plus it's a Brno602

This could be a "Blonds vs Brunettes" issue. The safety on the BRNO is backwards and has a straight trigger that might possibly be a set trigger depending on when it was manufactured. All three of them should shoot very well. As was stated previously all three would benefit from being pillar bedded. You are going to wind up with a good gun almost regardless of the one you choose.

Well, if those are your only options, with a bit of tweaking, I’m sure any would do. But, I’d suggest you look (handle) a Montana Rifle CO and a Kimber before your final decision. They are both basically clones of the 98 Mauser with some up to date modifications.
Personally I have used (hunted with) a Parker Hale, Kimber Talkeetna, Sako, MRC, Winchester Mdl 70, CZ, RSM and handled a Blaser R8. The MRC and Kimber fit me best.
Almost any gun can be tweaked to shoot well or fit well. It just takes more hunting funds!
Try before you buy if at all possible! JMO&E
Best of luck in your decision!

Hi damundsen87,

I will add another option to your list: A new Winchester Alaskan .375. In my experience, a .375 H&H does not need to have more than 9-9,5 lbs field ready with cartridges, scope and sling, neither a barrel too heavy.
This Winchester Alaskan is, to me, a perfect hunting .375 H&H rifle.
Good Luck and Merry Christmas!

I cannot comment on the other 2 , but the Winchester Model 70 , burning the .375 Holland and Holland magnum cartridge , is my ideal of everything a general purpose all rounder rifle should be.The very first client in my life whom l had ever guided for a royal Bengal tiger used 1 , loaded with 300 grain Winchester Silvertip bullets to secure a royal Bengal tiger with 1 heart shot . Dastardly accurate , those rifles are.

This could be a "Blonds vs Brunettes" issue. The safety on the BRNO is backwards and has a straight trigger that might possibly be a set trigger depending on when it was manufactured. All three of them should shoot very well. As was stated previously all three would benefit from being pillar bedded. You are going to wind up with a good gun almost regardless of the one you choose.

Many mention the Brno ZKK having a backwards safety, however it is very practical. When getting ready for action your finger clicks the safety to the back and the finger then moves to the left in one motion.

Having it the other way around the finger needs to move forward to disengage then all the way back and then to the left side.

Never had issues with the ZKK safety, as long as you practice with it and are use to it.

Not familiar with BRNO or CZ but I have 2 Win 70s. 375HH and 7RM and love them both. The actions are butter smooth, triggers are set at 3 lbs and break like a glass rod. Accuracy is about 1 inch at 100 yards. 375 is a little heavy--11 lbs loaded but it mitigates a lot of recoil and they both balance well for me.

The Winchester 70 in 375 H&H comes in two flavors.... Alaskan and Express with the Express having a barrel lug along with the receiver lug (hence weighs more). The Winchester safety is a great selling point. The CZ is a great value and they shoot very well. My CZ 458, 416 Rigby and 9.3 give target rifles a go. I have 70's in 270, 300 (Win and H&H) ,338, 375 and 458. Still, the Model 70 in Express is really the classic. Any of them listed by others are great. You really can not go wrong on any.

My 375HH is Safari Express.

I have a CZ550 375H&H. It started out as a humpback but I switched to a B&C straight American style stock. Made a ton of difference in felt recoil and was it easier to use a scope. The only big bore M70 I ever owned was a Safari Classic 458WinMag. Nice rifle but I prefer CZ's.

All great rifles. I have the M-70 and love it. If I bought either of the others I would convert the safety to a 3 position unit. All three will benefit from improved bedding as stated above.

As others have stated, any of the three rifles mentioned will provide excellent service.
Although some may need some minor (or even major) tweaking to make them perfect for you.
Just about every possible upgrage/enhancement to each rifle has been well documented in this forum.

Having the ability to handle each of the rifles at the same time, along with the MRC and Kimber will make the decision easier.
This is a very personal decision and finding the RIGHT rifle is more important than finding a rifle.
Concern yourself with the fit of the stock and how they feel between the hands.
As the caliber goes up, errors in stock fitment will be amplified resulting in higher perceived recoil.

Personally, I'm a fan of the CZ550 with a few upgrades from AHR.

Many mention the Brno ZKK having a backwards safety, however it is very practical. When getting ready for action your finger clicks the safety to the back and the finger then moves to the left in one motion.

Having it the other way around the finger needs to move forward to disengage then all the way back and then to the left side.

Never had issues with the ZKK safety, as long as you practice with it and are use to it.

I have a question for you IVW:
I'm just a country boy with a little bit of bolt action experience, but I wouldn't call myself an expert. Why is it necessary to wrap the thumb on the firing hand to the left? Doesn't this slow cycling down? Does it assist recoil management that much? I leave my thumb to the right because it's heading there after the shot to cycle the action which I accomplish with the tip of my palm. I only wrap the thumb when it's not needed to cycle the action for the next shot.

I have a Winchester Model 70 Safari Express in .375 Honest&Hardworking. It's fun to shoot and very fast. I like the way it fits me. Unfortunately the magazine doesn't protect against recoil damage to the projectile and it holds 3+1, but you can top it off if you are inclined. Mine shoots the lights out with the PPU ammo, although the jury is out on how viable this bullet is for DG.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg