375 issue with snap caps

gbalog

Reaction score
I have a late (read South Carolina FN) Model 70 Winchester that I really like. Its been to South Africa on a plains game hunt, and I feel very comfortable with it. I plan on taking it for Cape Buffalo in a year or so. I've been practicing getting off a quick 2nd shot using A-zoom snap caps. Recently, I've been experiencing 2 rounds being ejected at the same time. It doesn't happened all the time, but is disconcerting when thinking about DG. The caps are starting to look a bit battered, and I plan to replace them soon. The issue seems to be happening with increasing frequency. My question is...could these caps be causing the problem...or should I have a good gunsmith check out rifle. Has anyone experienced this problem?

Take to the gun range and shoot live rounds just like you have been practicing with the snap caps. If it still does it with live rounds take it direct to a gunsmith. If it doesn’t, then more than likely the snap caps are getting worn.

I actually stopped using those snap caps because I wondered where all of those aluminum fillings went. They got so worn and battered looking. My money is on the snap caps.

With a bolt action, you can safely dry fire with no damage to the rifle. I would toss the caps. I would also head to the range asap and see if I had a snap cap problem or an action issue.

If you reload, just make up some dummy rounds and cycle them through your rifle. Practicing with them may lessen your chances of short stroking the bolt when you're hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
propercapsules

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!