375 Hornady GMX

It's all about finding a bullet you like and have confidence in. I wasn't suggesting you use them but rather trying to help you understand where bullets are likely headed, at least with the major manufacturers. Much of the fouling issues have been addressed with the grooves and Hornady uses guilding metal rather than pure copper so really no different than the jacket on a cup and core. Barnes likely brought the original X bullet out too early and many of the expansion issues and fouling issues have been addressed but those original issues seem to still be attributed to newer mono metals despite them not being issues any more. But definitely use what you have confidence in. I have total confidence in the newer mono metals but it takes a lot of kills to develop that trust!

Here's the Hornady 250-grain GMX that came out of my zebra. Shot broadside at 200 yards, lodged under the skin on the far side of the animal.

upload_2017-9-13_23-27-50.png

Nice mushroomed bullet. Looks like it did a perfect job.

I agree totally! That's what a great bullet is supposed to do in mushrooming and dumping the energy to give an instant and humane kill.

I guess here's the bottom line for me. I ll use Swift A frames as I did on my buffalo this year and the performance was outstanding as posted in my report with pictures of the recovered bullets. If I am spending good money on a hunt and on top of that messing with my life and others around me on DG I want the best. Cost is always a factor regarding the ammo but for one hunt I ll gladly pay the price. I wish Hornady does clean up its reputation but I know when I called them as did other members they claimed their bullets were perfect. I guess that's why they went to bonded ammo....:A Blink:

Hornady has made bonded bullets for years johnny. They also make inner lock, traditional cup and core and mono metals. Not really sure what you are getting at. The GMX above is a mono metal...not a bonded bullet. The mono metals have definitely proved their worth on all game, dangerouis game included. Not really sure what could be done to improve the GMX performance as is indicated above. Perhaps you are confusing the GMX with the DGX.....an inner lock style bullet?

Hornady has made bonded bullets for years johnny. They also make inner lock, traditional cup and core and mono metals. Not really sure what you are getting at. The GMX above is a mono metal...not a bonded bullet. The mono metals have definitely proved their worth on all game, dangerouis game included. Not really sure what could be done to improve the GMX performance as is indicated above. Perhaps you are confusing the GMX with the DGX.....an inner lock style bullet?
Yes sir I am. Thank you for that.

I hope to run a GMX through a hippo next week so we'll see how that goes. We've killed several types of buffalo with them with great results and can hopefully add a few more next week as well.

Awesome, best of luck. Pictures!

I shot a boar with 150 gr GMX but didn't recover it. I just bought a box of factory loaded (sacrilege!) 250gr for my son to use in my 375 H&H this season. I am confident it will be a low(er) recoiling pill of doom for any moose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg