.375 Holland & Holland

DriveByGuy

AH member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Thanks for all your sage advice you’ve given me on my last post concerning what would be the more versatile cartridge for my needs. I’ve decided that, like most of you were saying, the .375 H&H is probably the best choice for NA big game and PG/DG.

I do have a couple questions regarding bullet types and weights. I’ve been into shooting for around 13 years, but I’m not a reloader, and have never given ammunition much thought past hollow points and fmj, or birdshot vs buckshot.

Can anyone give me some tips on what bullet types and weights would be ideal for large North American game and Plains Game, as well as what would be suitable for DG? I’m guessing a 300 grain mono would be the best bet for cape or elephant, and a lighter round for basically everything else? Or, should I just follow the “one load for everything” philosophy and only use the heavier rounds? Also, it wouldn’t seem like a 300 grain bullet would be suitable for dangerous game. How is it even possible that people have taken down elephants or buffalo with a 300 grain .375 h&h? Seems like shooting a hog with a .22!

On a side note, thanks again folks! This is perhaps the best forum I’ve been on, with some of the most knowledgeable and friendliest group of like-minded folks I’ve had the pleasure of conversing with. I hope to share some stories and photos with you all soon!

I really like the 350 gr Woodleigh solid if you are going to use it on elephant. I’m not sure an elephant really even slows them down, the penetration is unbelievable!

For other game I typically stick to 300 and 270 gr A-Frames.

For North American game and African plains game , I am a massive admirer for the 300 grain Nosler Partition soft nosed factory load .

For thick skinned dangerous game ( namely elephants or Gaur ) , my personal favorite would have to be the 300 grain Hornady Dangerous Game Solid ( DGS ) flat nosed copper clad steel jacketed factory load . Today , there are much more modern choices available . Namely the 300 grain homogeneous brass solid factory loads as offered by Nosler , Norma , Sologne and Federal . However , the traditional steel jacketed solid flat nosed bullets have never let me down and that is what I use .

In regards to the feasibility of using a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum against elephants , perhaps this article may interest you ?

I use Norma Oryx 300 grain. That said, I have several boxes of Norma African PH in 350 grain which I would use instead of the 300 grain for DG as I am a believer in the bigger hammer theory.

The 300 gr A-Frame and TSX have both served me well on buffalo. I use the same load for plains game because I am typically hunting them on the same safari as I hunt buffalo. They work perfectly for that role beyond 250 meters which is as far as you are likely to get an opportunity or a PH will be willing to let you take a shot.

For North America or a pure PG hunt, a 270 gr A-Frame would be hard to beat. I don't use my .375's for North American game, but I do use the 9.3x62 for bear and the 286 gr load is decisive in it. I have no doubt a 270 gr bullet from a .375 would be equally or more so.

These days a solid has become a very specialized load primarily for buffalo. Some PH's still prefer that a client's second shot be a solid, but many have come to recognize the deep penetration capabilities of a modern premier SP. I hunt these days with a magazine full of 300 gr A-Frames.

I should also note, I am not a hand loader, and there are some terrific factory loads out there. My favorite .375 loves the Federal Safari loading of the A-Frame and shoots them sub-MOA.

Enjoy your new acquisition.

Here you go.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 10.31.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 10.31.47 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 207
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 10.31.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 10.31.50 AM.png
    813.1 KB · Views: 188
question for experienced 375 HH owners.
If you need to use 235 grain SP, (or 275 grain), for exapmle on PG, and then you need to use 300 grain for buffalo:
What is your experience with point of impact change, at 100 yards / meters - when you change bullets?

For North American game and African plains game , I am a massive admirer for the 300 grain Nosler Partition soft nosed factory load .

For thick skinned dangerous game ( namely elephants or Gaur ) , my personal favorite would have to be the 300 grain Hornady Dangerous Game Solid ( DGS ) flat nosed copper clad steel jacketed factory load . Today , there are much more modern choices available . Namely the 300 grain homogeneous brass solid factory loads as offered by Nosler , Norma , Sologne and Federal . However , the traditional steel jacketed solid flat nosed bullets have never let me down and that is what I use .

In regards to the feasibility of using a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum against elephants , perhaps this article may interest you ?
You mention Gaur... is there anywhere they can be legally hunted?

I really like 250 grain Barnes TTSX with my rifle. With +2.5 at 100 I am -9 at 300. I really like 300 grain swift a frames for heavy game or shots in brush. The swifts mushroom perfectly each time and retain mass regardless of brush or close shot. The TTSX is flatter shooting and less recoil and is my most accurate load. I would plan to use it on anything except dangerous game. This bullet holds up great also, but I did have a partial failure on a close shot where velocity is still high, all pedals broke off but bullet was still on skin other side of eland. I don’t reload either, but I have my gunsmith load for me.
There is a good bullet database on this site you can look at bullet performance from animals.

You mention Gaur... is there anywhere they can be legally hunted?
@Rick Cox
There is a ranch in Texas , to the best of my knowledge . I have shot four myself , as part of Problem Animal Control work over the last 48 years . They ventured into Bangladesh from the Indian border in the southeastern part of the country .
9C8CE845-1E00-4D97-BA19-A40C5FCA2601.jpeg

If you need to use 235 grain SP, (or 275 grain), for exapmle on PG, and then you need to use 300 grain for buffalo:
What is your experience with point of impact change, at 100 yards / meters - when you change bullets?
I brought along 270 and 300 grain on my last hunt, and by the time it was over, I wished I had just stuck with the 300gr for everything. Not a huge amount of trajectory difference inside the 200-300 yards that the vast majority of your shooting will consist of. And when it's time to hunt buffalo, no need to re-zero your rifle.

Hello everyone!

Thanks for all your sage advice you’ve given me on my last post concerning what would be the more versatile cartridge for my needs. I’ve decided that, like most of you were saying, the .375 H&H is probably the best choice for NA big game and PG/DG.

I do have a couple questions regarding bullet types and weights. I’ve been into shooting for around 13 years, but I’m not a reloader, and have never given ammunition much thought past hollow points and fmj, or birdshot vs buckshot.

Can anyone give me some tips on what bullet types and weights would be ideal for large North American game and Plains Game, as well as what would be suitable for DG? I’m guessing a 300 grain mono would be the best bet for cape or elephant, and a lighter round for basically everything else? Or, should I just follow the “one load for everything” philosophy and only use the heavier rounds? Also, it wouldn’t seem like a 300 grain bullet would be suitable for dangerous game. How is it even possible that people have taken down elephants or buffalo with a 300 grain .375 h&h? Seems like shooting a hog with a .22!

On a side note, thanks again folks! This is perhaps the best forum I’ve been on, with some of the most knowledgeable and friendliest group of like-minded folks I’ve had the pleasure of conversing with. I hope to share some stories and photos with you all soon!

Hello everyone!

I've shot everything from cape buffalo down to springbuck and impala with the same 300-grain Swift A-frame, in a commercial load by Remington. It has excellent power and penetration for the big stuff, and the bullet is tough enough so that it doesn't over-expand and ruin meat on smaller antelope. My longest shot with it (on a kudu) was a bit over 200 yards. It's pretty flat shooting and very versatile. I liked the idea of one rifle, one load for as much as I could use it for. No re-sighting with different weights or configurations of bullets, and I was used to the rifle. The 300-grain solids by Federal that were "back up" loads on the buffalo hunts shoot to the same place as the A-frames in my rifle.

I have done exactly this and it was a big mistake. Just take the .300 gr load and shoot everything with it.

There are a number of small reloading companies you can find on line which use premium bullets and load in 375HH. Personally I have really fallen for the Barnes 250 Grain TTSX. In my Win 70 it shoots consistent sub MOA groups and recoil is not too much different to a heavy 30-06. Perfect load for NA and PG

I have not shot dozens of buffalo, just one in fact, but a range of animals with a range of bullets. I hope sharing the outcome may assist. This is all 375 H&H from a Ruger No1.
My zebra was taken with a 270 grain Speer boat tail. It ran about 70 or so metres if I recall and dropped dead, lung shot. The bullet was really broken up, a mess, 87% weight retention.
A warthog shot with the same Speer bullet in the boiler room simply collapsed. Pass through, no bullet recovery.
My buffalo was taken with an A Square dead tough 300 gr. It was hit just behind the lungs, late afternoon, and although we needed to follow up the next day it was clearly very heavily hit. It left the group after about 250 metres and covered maybe a kilometer before being found lying down, almost expired.
The same A Square took an impala and passed through lengthwise. The impala collapsed right there.
My sable was hit in the boiler room with a 300 gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. It ran about 40 metres and collapsed dead. The bullet shown below had expanded perfectly with virtually no weight loss and was found under the skin on the far side above the foreleg. Even on this relatively narrow chest the expansion didn't allow it to exit.
All I can say from this admittedly very small sample is that all the larger animals that didnt get pass through obviously experienced all the dumped energy and the result was inevitable. The Recovered TBBC bullet looked the prettiest, but they all did the job. So until I get more experience It seems any good construction controlled expansion bullet is good enough, but the TBBC gets my nod because it worked perfectly.

F7FB9DB4-DE69-4C45-A1A2-35CA784F23FD.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Rick Cox
There is a ranch in Texas , to the best of my knowledge . I have shot four myself , as part of Problem Animal Control work over the last 48 years . They ventured into Bangladesh from the Indian border in the southeastern part of the country .
View attachment 371616
This is an animal that really interests me, but I can't see ever shooting one, especially a wild pure freerange one. It's a real shame this species is struggling ....

This is an animal that really interests me, but I can't see ever shooting one, especially a wild pure freerange one. It's a real shame this species is struggling ....
@Rick Cox
You come to the Bandarban forests in Bangladesh , someday . As my guest , because that is one of the forest ranges where I am appointed as a Problem Animal Control Officer . I cannot guarantee you a Gaur , since they only come here irregularly through the Indian border . But the ones which do , are invariably problem animals because they ( as lone Gaur bulls usually are ) are incredibly aggressive and destructive . The last one which I had shot in 2019 , killed one local villager and badly injured five . Therefore , they may legally be shot ( with permission from the Forest Guards ) . You come during any winter to hunt a couple of barking deer , a couple of wild boar and about two dozen upland birds ( quail , green pigeon and dove ) with me . Free of charge . If you a Gaur comes ventures into the territory , I let you shoot it .

I only have two conditions :
1 ) You bring a rifle of at least .450 bore , preferably around .500 bore . You load this rifle with steel jacketed flat nosed solid ammunition or monolithic brass ( or naval bronze ) ammunition , which weigh a minimum of 500 grains . Velocity should be a minimum of 2100 feet per second . If you do not possess such a rifle , then I will be glad to offer you my .458 Winchester Magnum ( loaded with 500 grain Hornady DGS factory loaded steel jacketed flat nosed solids ) .
2 ) I cannot let you hunt the Gaur on foot . We will have a tree blind setup for you , which overlooks a waterhole that is frequented by said Gaur .

Sound good ?

We took 9 animals with a 375H&H & 300 grain Swift A-Frames.
Here are the only recovered bullets from a Gemsbok & Eland.
All other bullets exited with incredible damage.
1602541321786.png

That being said, I now have a different 375H&H.
It seems to prefer the Barnes TSX 300 grain over the SAF's.
IMO - If you stick with the premium softs at 300 grains, you should be fine.
Barnes TSX, Swift A-Frame, Norma Oryx & Federal TBBC to name a few.

Multiple bullet weights - I'd keep it simple and just take one weight.
You are guaranteed to have the "wrong" load in the magazine...Murphy's Law.

I've spoken extensively with my PH about using solids.
His opinion is that most of the time, they are best left out of the magazine.
However, having a few in your cartridge belt is good if one of the Tiny 10 show up.
Find one that shoots to the same POI as your soft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.