375 HH Zero

Tucketed

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
I recently purchased a Winchester 70 in 375HH. I have a Swarovski 1-6 mounted on it and have found it very nice to shoot. I am using 300 grain TSX factory ammo and my question is what distance is best zero. I am headed to Zimbabwe in spring for PG with most shots likely maxed at 200 yards. Yesterday I zeroed for 150 yards which seems to be best but would like your inputs.

I think you’re spot on with the 150 yd zero for PG. Second option would be 100 yds. When I went to Zim, I was told to zero at 100 and it worked out fine. My longest shot was 180 yds.
You are going in the spring, so the brush will be a little thicker. Just to be safe, I’d ask the outfitter / PH what they’d recommend.

You should be fine at 100 or 150. I would probably lean to 150 unless buff is on the menu. If they are, zero at 100.

Thanks for your inputs. This is my first mid larger bore and and first hunt in Africa. I will take my 270 WSM as originally planned but now that i have been shooting the 375 from bench and practicing on sticks my thoughts are to use the 375 though it is quite a few pounds heavier. I simply have fallen in love with it. Unfortunately due to this forum I seem to now have the bug for something even larger for my next trip which hopefully will DG.

Honestly, you really don’t need the 270 WSM. The .375 will do everything you want to do.

If you are hunting only plains game a 200 meter zero is most useful, all the way out to 300. No need for compensating all the way out to 225 at least aim and shoot, 300 depending on bullet only 9 inches low, after that get closer.

DG 100 meter zero

In my MRC the Barnes factory 300 grain chronographs at 2,539fps. The following charts were calculated at 3,500 feet altitude for the western Limpopo province of SA.
Hope this helps. And have a grand Safari!

8473DE12-6317-4B8D-81E9-FC3AB19517AC.png
A0CC96C7-62C8-485E-A31B-657ABC780808.png

but now that i have been shooting the 375 from bench and practicing on sticks my thoughts are to use the 375 though it is quite a few pounds heavier. I simply have fallen in love with it.
The .375 is the absolute worst cartridge ever chambered in rifle. I'm very unhappy with the unceremonious takeover of my safe, reloading room, and dreams. I despise its curious utility and glorious boom.

The following charts were calculated at 3,500 feet altitude for the western Limpopo province of SA.
Hope this helps.
Would you by chance know of any of these ballistic programs that let you readily see the correction to zero between elevation and pressure from home range to destination?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you