.375 H&H - Whitworth vs Winchester M70 vs CZ

You're going through what I just went through.
I haven't actually handled any at this point but if everything goes as planned I just purchased the Whitworth for sale here.
For one thing the price is the best of the 3 and I like the classic look that the rifle features.
I doubt you'll hear anything bad about any of them though.
You’ll love your Whitworth like I love mine in .375! A little lighter than my CZ, and a very smooth action and accurate rifle. But I also love my CZ .458WM. Maybe now I need to get a CRF action Winchester M70 and compare all three ? I have a 1970s Winchester .270 which I’ve shot deer, one wild pig and pronghorn with it since the seventies. Very smooth action and accurate rifle.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the info. I am currently sitting on a Rem 700 Safari Grade but the CRF vs PF argument makes a lot of sense to my engineer brain so I may pick up a CRF up instead.
Thousands of African animals (even the dangerous variety) have fallen to PF rifles.
And they will continue to do so.

The difference between the rifles used by a PH and a client will vary.
There are some PH's who are members here who use a PF rifle (Blaser R8) daily.
They even use it as their primary backup rifle while hunting Elephant and Buffalo.

You don't NEED a CRF rifle to hunt Africa.
Your Rem 700SG will do the job just fine.
However...if you WANT one, by all means...we are all here to help.

I had the same question a few years ago and ended up going with the Whitworth for the following reasons. The Whitworth handled the best of the 3 I thought, it was quite a bit lighter than either of the other rifles, better balanced for me and the action is smooth as glass. The magazine capacity seems adequate at 3 down and accuracy is great. The model 70 ended up in second place but just barely and I'm sure I could have been fairly happy with it or the CZ either but the common consensus was that the CZ often needed work out of the box for reliability and that put it in last place for me.

Several hundred rounds in I am convinced that I made the correct choice, my rifle is accurate with any load I have tried other than the 235 grain X bullet and easy to shoot well. The fact that it was a few hundred $$ less expensive didn't hurt anything either.

Best of luck in your quest, you really can't go wrong with any of your choices.

Thousands of African animals (even the dangerous variety) have fallen to PF rifles.
And they will continue to do so.

The difference between the rifles used by a PH and a client will vary.
There are some PH's who are members here who use a PF rifle (Blaser R8) daily.
They even use it as their primary backup rifle while hunting Elephant and Buffalo.

You don't NEED a CRF rifle to hunt Africa.
Your Rem 700SG will do the job just fine.
However...if you WANT one, by all means...we are all here to help.
That’s a good point BeeMaa.
I have laid hands on a M70 Safari locally and it shouldered very naturally. I have not had a chance to shoulder the CZ or Whitworth.
The Rem700 shoulders naturally for me also. Logic would say I just keep the Remmie, use it for my PG hunt and keep my eyes peeled for a good deal on a CRF. It would be nice to shoulder the Whitworth or CZ before I plop down cash. Especially since .375 is not exact a common caliber of choice in Wisconsin.
Thank you all for your input!!

I live in Northern VA and I checked my local Cabela's on Friday....one box of 375H&H.
Once you get over .30 caliber in the US, it get tougher to find ammo in a store.
I buy all my stuff off the internet.

If you happen to be in the area, I'd be happy to help you out with checking out my CZ.
I'm sure there are other members much closer who would be willing to assist.
Best of luck with your search.

What caliber is your Rem 700?
You may just want to hold off for a bit and go on your safari with the 700 and see how it does.
Save the money for another animal and make a more informed decision when you get back.

I appreciate the offer and I do travel down into that neck of the woods every once in a while. I remember your CZ from the classified area. Are you still planning on selling it and moving to a Blaser?
I have a 700 in 30-06 and also .375 H&H.
What makes me feel more comfortable with the three options I listed was there was not a majority saying “avoid .... at all costs!!”

I appreciate the offer and I do travel down into that neck of the woods every once in a while. I remember your CZ from the classified area. Are you still planning on selling it and moving to a Blaser?
What makes me feel more comfortable with the three options I listed was there was not a majority saying “avoid .... at all costs!!”
The CZ is still for sale, but I'm in no hurry to do so.
It a great rifle that shoots well and it will not have its feelings hurt by the newcomers.

We've made the jump to the Blaser R8 platform.
Waiting on a few more items to show up, but I have a 300WM now.

Nothing wrong with the Rem 700s I have one in 35Whelen

CZ. I prefer the extra weight for anything .375 and up.

I am fortunate enough to own all 3. Each has it + & -. I believe the M-70 is the best of the bunch out of the box! The whitworth is just a good rifle that could use another cross bolt. Now we come to the CZ550 & 602. To bring one up to my standards will probably involve one to two days labor smoothing the action and replacing the trigger. Now it will shoot forever, I really like the larger capacity magazine. M-70, I added Sunny Hills bottom metal for extra capacity magazine, cost about as much as the rifle! Of course this required a new custom stock, now it is equals the CZ 550 at about 4 or 5 times the cost!

Back to the 550 I understand that they are no longer made? Please someone correct me and tell me I am wrong! The next item one of our Zim. PHs recently brought me his CZ550 in .416 Rigby it would not eject. I immediately noticed that the spring loaded ejector blade would not pop up as the action was cycled. After a closer examination I noticed a small amount of the action next to the left side of the ejector blade had actually broke off leaving a bit of a burr that prevented the blades free movement. This is the first time I have encountered this, if anyone else has experienced this please let me know. As a PH would I continue to use this rifle after repairs were made possibly not.

Opinion of 3 great rifles.
CZ550 1
M-70 2
Whit 3

I went the M70 over the CZ. Why? The M70 felt smoother and better finished out of the box. I'm not a tinkerer so it suited me better, i've also got one in 3006 and both rifles are great. Not sure if you have seen them but the Montana Rifle Co do a 375H&H they also do larger actions as well.

I've seen 3 different montana rifle company 375's in the cabelas gun library online in the last month. All around $1100.
Gotta check daily and be fast though as they go quickly and usually show available for up to a week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfonzoPal

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!