375 H&H Vs 375 Ruger

Ses I agree with you there mate. Call me old fasioned but I do love the H&H. In sayin that I am (obviously) open to the ruger. Was interested if it performed any better being a newer round. I think both would do the same job just as well. But hey... Others may have differing practical experience.
Hey bluey, the stainless rifle I'm getting is rrp for $1400 Nz. The blued/synthetic which I presume is the same as yours?? Is listed for $1200nz. Ill end up paying around $200 less than that.

good deal ,cob

Yeah alot of bang for small bucks.

if its anything like mine ,you will love it .
more than manageable recoil .in a pretty light firearm.
accurate straight out of the box, no feeding problems, smooth bolt.
the trigger is pretty heavy but, I guessed it at 6 lbs, but my young fella tested on someones trigger scale and it was a crisp 4.5 lbs

How's the stock? Is it reasonable quality? I havnt looked at boyds to see if they do an aftermarket one.

the stock is fine ....comfortable enough ,for anything im gunna do with it .

Caliber, as you say the H&H is widely available, besides this the critter that can tell the difference between the two has not yet been invented.

Rifle... Never heard of a Ruger bolt handle breaking off. I'll leave it at that...

Actually, no, I'll not leave it at that. In this particular case I'd choose rifle over caliber.

You had a bolt handle break off a rem Kano??? Surely that can't be common. I rate ruger as one of the better brands but would also say rem( from my experience with them) are still well
Built for the most part??
Bluey. Ordered mine today. Was very close to being swayed in another direction as they had a very nice but used pre 64 in 375 sitting on the rack... Hmmm

Was very close to being swayed in another direction as they had a very nice but used pre 64 in 375 sitting on the rack... Hmmm

If affordable, and the barrel wasn't shot out, I would have bought it and never looked back.

the big heavy Winchester would be nice
when I ordered mine ,it was on the cleaver firearms website ,I didn't even think of asking if they hadit/could get it in shiney .
its the second remmington sps 700 I bought , the other is 300 rum. I really like them both .
every other riffle ,besides my 243((weatherby,vanguard) is a ruger.

Yeah I do like the 64s but already have one in a big cal. Rem is a change from my norm.

There isn't a nickels worth of power difference between the two rounds, so a matter of rifle preference is all there is.

There isn't a nickels worth of power difference between the two rounds, so a matter of rifle preference is all there is.

I agree.
Personally I prefer the 375 Ruger, but the difference between them is so small, that it is nothing to bother about.
No matter what your choice of cartridge is, I would either get one made by Ruger or one made by Winchester(pre 64 action).

Of the two I prefer the 375 H&H, but when I bought my latest 375 H&H (a Rem XCR II) I decided to rechamber it to 375 Weatherby, while I was having a better extractor (the factory one was too large to chamber a factory round), had the bolt welded on, put a heavier firing pin and spring on it. The rifle has been good to us. I got my brown bear with it, my youngest son has gotten a black bear, feral hog and elk with it. 200 fps faster than the 375 H&H but can still shoot factory 375 H&H rounds. Best of both worlds.

Nobody has said it yet, but when I asked the question about building a Rem 700 DGR, the unanimous response was to use a CRF rather than the PF 700.

I'm prone to believe there's a reason that controlled round feeders are recommended, so that's what I would weigh into this decision - or rather, that is what I DID weigh into this decision. I have a 700 Magnum length action sitting on a shelf now, and have gone with a Ruger action for my next DGR build.

I have owned many 700's, many rugers, a couple 70's and 550's, several Savages, and many others. I tolerate 700's and clones for bench rest shooting, but for a DGR, the controlled round feeders get my vote, and I really enjoy the Ruger action.

The CRF is one of the reasons for why I prefer Ruger and pre 64 Winchester.
CRF, three position safety, great trigger and usually great accuracy.

Steyr Pro African chambered in .375 Ruger. I used the same rifle chambered in .338 Kudu (similar wildcat) this last July on plains game and was quite satisfied.

I have not hunted with the .375 Ruger, but have shot it at the range and believe it is an improvement over the H&H by the reasons mentioned earlier; shorter action, no belt, using 20" barrel.

If anyone is concerned about getting the .375 Ruger cartridges while in Africa in case they were somehow separated from their luggage, perhaps you or your PH could have the local gun shop order some ahead and have them available when you arrive... just as a backup plan.

Well after thinking I would be going with a rem in 375 H&H I ended up trialling the ruger hawkeye in 375 ruger and love it!! Nice rifle.
The importer is expecting a 416 ruger which I am interested in trying, but from what I have seen of the 375 ill be going with that option.

Well after thinking I would be going with a rem in 375 H&H I ended up trialling the ruger hawkeye in 375 ruger and love it!! Nice rifle.
The importer is expecting a 416 ruger which I am interested in trying, but from what I have seen of the 375 ill be going with that option.

Go ahead and get them both now. It will save you time. :)

Hahahah that it will.... But I don't think I can hide 2 new rifles AND a safari from the lady of the house!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg