Goon

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
Nzda
Hunted
Europe New Zealand Australia South Africa Zimbabwe
Hi all.
I'm looking at buying a 375 as I don't own one currently, I have narrowed my options down to two rifles. The remington 700 sps DG stainless/synthetic in 375 H&H or a ruger 375 again stainless/ synthetic.
Having never shot the 375 ruger round I'm looking for real world advice on any differance in stopping power if used as a general rifle for Africa.
I'm leaning toward the H&H because, well I like it an I know I can hit a buff with a 350gr solid and stop it.
So any advice would be great. Oh and price wise both rifles are exactly the same both will be used with iron sights, no scope.
Thanks

If you own a Remington and hunt it, buy another, If you own a Ruger then buy a Ruger,
Safeties are the same, get the triggers the same, so when the adrenaline pumps you're not fumbling for a safety or a different feeling rifle.
Ballistically, they are the same, shorter action on the Ruger, 375 H&H is a universal cartridge so ammo availability shouldn't be an issue

Hi Goon

I have not shot the 375 Ruger, however i have a 375 H & H.

From reading both are comparable. It is about shot placement and both have good bullets to select from...

When traveling you will be able to find 375 H & H ammo in many different brands. I have not seen any 375 Ruger ammo in The few African gun shops that i have visited.

Hi greyfox. I own both rems and rugers at present so adapting should be fine. The ruger rifle I'm looking at is a little more compact than the rem, not that it really matters for me.
Thanks James I am the same I have never used the 375 ruger either, and I'm of the same mindset that the H&H is a common round and widely available. So I think that will sway me.

With the ruger round being shorter than the H&H, is there any noticed differance in performance on DG targets?

With the ruger round being shorter than the H&H, is there any noticed differance in performance on DG targets?

I do not believe that here is any performance difference that will set one above the other.

Thanks. Think ill go with the tried and true. Would be logical given I want a general purpose rifle.

Hi Goon

I have not shot the 375 Ruger, however i have a 375 H & H.

From reading both are comparable. It is about shot placement and both have good bullets to select from...

When traveling you will be able to find 375 H & H ammo in many different brands. I have not seen any 375 Ruger ammo in The few African gun shops that i have visited.

+1.

What would be your brand of choice frostbit?

375 H&H in Ruger RSM, CZ 550 or Win Model 70

Model 70 is a nice rifle indeed, I have the express safari in 458 win mag.
The rem is something different. Being synthetic/stainless is not something I would usually get. But this one I quite like.

.375 H&H but it wouldn't be a Remington.

I like pre-64 Model 70's for function and reliability. I've owned many Remingtons and have moved away from them.

Plus One for a 375HH , regardless of what model you choose

I love my 375 H & H new M70 so much that I got it's big brother in 416 rem mag.

However my wife has a 375 Ruger Guide gun that is sup fun to handle and shoot. The 20" barrel and shorter stock with spacers out make it more of a carbine. However thr machining on any of our Rugers cannot come close to the Winchesters. Actually have 3 0f each, except we had to get 4 to have 3 Rugers, could not get a Predator model on paper at 25 yards... But much to their credit they sent out a new gun, hope to mount the scope and give it a try this weekend....

As for the cartridges themselves... The Ruger is more modern, no belt, shorter shell, shorter action, supposedly more hand load friendly, supposed to deliver the same performance out of that 20" barrel a the H & H in a 24"....... The Ruger should cycle quicker being a shorter stroke, but the action on the Winchester is so much smoother that it is not comparable. Some call it a "snappier" load, perhaps it is, but both will do a whole lot of killin'. Much better availability of factory ammo available everywhere in the H & H. To me this final point is important.

I really should take all our Rugers to a good gunsmith and have them worked on to get the stickiness and sharp edges out of the actions. The 375 Ruger actually puts a little dent in the shoulder of the brass when loading the first of 3..... But I'm told it will get better with use.

The H & H has been around over a hundred years and shows no sign of going anywhere. The Ruger should be successful, but that history is yet to be written.... I will tell you this, it is a pain in the ass having both! But the Guide Gun fits my wife and only comes in a Ruger.

As noted above there is no practical difference in ability between the two rounds. More a choice of rifles and their features and whether you want to have a shorter action. I have owned the H&H for 30 years and have never looked at the Ruger, it just does not interest me.

As noted above there is no practical difference in ability between the two rounds. More a choice of rifles and their features and whether you want to have a shorter action. I have owned the H&H for 30 years and have never looked at the Ruger, it just does not interest me.
OK Ses, I'll go the other way on this one. My son and I have both owned 375 Rugers for several years and have taken them to Africa twice. We have killed everything with them that we ever shot at. We have never looked at the H&H's cause they just don't interest us. Just sayin!

gday goon , my 375HH is a remm. sps DG 700 with out the stainless.
its a great gun ,
im a ruger man by personal choice ,but alas know nothing about the 375 ruger .
sounds like the same flavour in a different package .mate.
just out interest how many kiwi dollars is the sps?
I paid 850 aussies for mine including 40 bucks freight from queensland .
good luck with which ever way go .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg