375 H&H vs 300 H&H

They list the CE MTH L08 as Match/TAC/Hunt. I've only shot steel or paper with them so have no experience with them on flesh and bone. They have a very small drilled hole in the nose so not sure if that qualifies as a functional hollow point.
I could not resist giving them a try at a 1360 yard steel target with a 3X Weaver from the 1960's.
I've ran the 235 grain Speer and 300gr RN down at 500 yards on steel. Yes, it is fun to shoot prone.
They are something different from the Sierra Match Kings in that there are petals that supposedly fragment off and create secondary wound channels. They say this happens down to 1600 fps. I believe in Santa Claus too.

They are something different from the Sierra Match Kings in that there are petals that supposedly fragment off and create secondary wound channels. They say this happens down to 1600 fps. I believe in Santa Claus too.
I would have to put these to the test before I would trust using them on game.
As a turned copper bullet with a tiny opening I am uncertain how these could produce petals. We might be talking about two different bullets.

I would have to put these to the test before I would trust using them on game.
As a turned copper bullet with a tiny opening I am uncertain how these could produce petals. We might be talking about two different bullets.
This is what I am referring to.
Screenshot_20210811-084458-602.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Paper bullets very strange hoe on the deer.....

This is what I am referring to.
View attachment 417946

Sounds like.it works very similar to a.Nosler Partition which loses 50-100% of the lead in the front half. In high velocity strikes I've recovered Partitions that looked essentially like a wadcutter that bulged to slightly larger than caliber diameter at the front. They lost 100% of the front lead and the front jacket folded all the way back to the base.

It sounds almost like a bullet failure but the animals tend to react violently to the "spalling" in that application. I've got an acquaintance that has taken a ridiculous number of whitetail deer with .243 Partitions and never had one go over 60'. Most just go bang flop (high shoulder shot). I love it when people who have shot 3 deer in their life time try to tell him .243 is to small and just wounds deer.

In order to retain credibility I will neither confirm nor deny the rumors of the number he has shot.

Sounds like.it works very similar to a.Nosler Partition which loses 50-100% of the lead in the front half. In high velocity strikes I've recovered Partitions that looked essentially like a wadcutter that bulged to slightly larger than caliber diameter at the front. They lost 100% of the front lead and the front jacket folded all the way back to the base.

It sounds almost like a bullet failure but the animals tend to react violently to the "spalling" in that application. I've got an acquaintance that has taken a ridiculous number of whitetail deer with .243 Partitions and never had one go over 60'. Most just go bang flop (high shoulder shot). I love it when people who have shot 3 deer in their life time try to tell him .243 is to small and just wounds deer.

In order to retain credibility I will neither confirm nor deny the rumors of the number he has shot.
There are a lot of things that work well for whitetailed deer. A 5.56/.223 will bring them down despite what certain states will say. The .243 is a great killer of deer using the proper bullets. I personally used a .30-06 with a 125gr PSP for a number of years with excellent results. At 150 yards and under it is a lightning bolt. Until the golden zone parameters were exceeded on a buck shot and hit twice at 200 yards. The velocity had dropped enough to cause a mortal wound but not an instantaneous one. The follow up shot did the same thing and nothing but a blood trail was to be found. Animal was recovered in a timely fashion after a lot more shooting. If I had used a 150 or 165 or even a 130grain Barnes TTSX, I would have killed it no problem first shot. Depending on the size of the animal and the engagement distance, there is no problem making decisive kills. Just remember that DRT and a run out of sixty feet can be damnation in some cases like running into a swamp or briar patch. You must use a good bullet for your game.

Forrest Halley,
What you report on the bear is what I would expect from the Cutting edge 375 bullet on game. Unless it hit bone. They list other bullets that are clearly designed to expand but don't think they carry the LR BC.
My OAL will not fit in the magazine but one round will fit in the top position with the bullet tip in the feed ramp. I only ordered some of these bullets to play with as it was built for hunting.

Forrest Halley,
What you report on the bear is what I would expect from the Cutting edge 375 bullet on game. Unless it hit bone. They list other bullets that are clearly designed to expand but don't think they carry the LR BC.
My OAL will not fit in the magazine but one round will fit in the top position with the bullet tip in the feed ramp. I only ordered some of these bullets to play with as it was built for hunting.
@Sabattiboy if you put an @ before the name you get a drop down and then it gives a notification of mention to the party mentioned.
I dunno what to expect from the bullet, but it doesn't say it has to hit bone first. Maybe I should've deduced that. It makes sense with them being so pointy. They're like a high dollar frangible.

@Sabattiboy if you put an @ before the name you get a drop down and then it gives a notification of mention to the party mentioned.
I dunno what to expect from the bullet, but it doesn't say it has to hit bone first. Maybe I should've deduced that. It makes sense with them being so pointy. They're like a high dollar frangible.
@Forrest Halley
Thank you kindly for the tip.
Your experience with this CE bullet has me thinking about trying mine on something to see how they react.

The 375 has an advantage only against brown bear. For everything else the 300 is the clear winner. 300 shoots flatter, has enough energy, and recoils less. For long range it isn't even close because of the superior 308 bullets.
No brown bears in Africa......

CEB has a 350 grain tipped hollow point that retains 300+ grains after expansion. Features a G1 BC of .860. What could you get for an MV with a 350 grain bullet?
2300 fps but not that fancy bullet availible here....

@IvW ive owned 300HH rifles and I enjoyed it as a cartridge. It was formidable on animals up to giraffe even though it was literally the legal bare minimum. It’s a nice caliber.

However, for 300 yard work and under, a good 375HH even with 300gr bullets is plenty flat shooting. I’m not sure you’re getting anything by having two guns as described at present or even bartering one away to get a 300HH.

understanding the legal difficulties of rebarreling and also understanding how desirable your two guns are, I’d keep the one you like best and barter the other for a 602 in 7x57, 7x64, 280 rem, or 7mm mag. Then you’d have two totally different guns for different applications whereas the 300HH is sort of inferior to both a 375HH and a 7mm because it has neither the power, nor the flat range of the former and latter.

Just my thoughts having owned all of the above.
I have a 7x57 Brno with spoonhandle bolt and twin triggers great little rifle

I have a 7x57 Brno with spoonhandle bolt and twin triggers great little rifle

Ive got a beautiful little pre-war Mauser w set triggers and spoonhandle bolt. Bought it from @rookhawk and got it shooting again. Special little rifles.

Ive got a beautiful little pre-war Mauser w set triggers and spoonhandle bolt. Bought it from @rookhawk and got it shooting again. Special little rifles.

@WAB can you post a few pics? I’d love to see how it looks now and how it groups.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jessica87G

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross