Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
Here is the senario.
I own 2 375 H&H rifle both on Brno ZKK 602 actions with pop up peep sights in the receiver.
Converting one to 300 H&H will be a pain in the arse.....

I am thinking using the original one with longer barrel with 270gr premium bullets in 270gr for longer range work(2700fps) max 300 meters and the custom 24" barrel one with 340gr bullets(2300fps) for bushveldt hunting.....

Bear in mind I eat what I hunt and with our stringent gun laws rebarreling to 300 H&H as mentioned will be apain in the arse...

This will be for larger pg species and for the smaller ones I will stick to 7x57mm...

This is rather 375 vs 300 H&H....
Driling is not 300 meter good choice and means a new licence I have 17 firearms so pushing the limits in that department...
I need to know if one of my 375 can do the longer 300 meter work on larger plains game....
My research sais the 375 should do the job....

A drilling is a shorter range woods or bush proposition.....

I need to figure out if I can use one of my 375 for longer range work succesfully without going through the burocrating bullshit we have to deal with here..

I would basically like to find out if anyody is using a 375 H&H for longer range work out to 300 meters and how succesful they have been.
Both my 375 are licenced so that simplifies matters on this end

I have used one of mine for 300 meter shooting a fair bit. I use the 260 accubonds in mine, accuracy is fantastic and it still hits hard at that range. I dont think 300 stretches its legs at all. What is the twist rate on the 375 you use the 340 gr bullets on?

I don't think you can have too many 375 H&H

The ballistics charts in the back of my reloading manual shows me that,
A 375 H&H loaded with 270 A frames at 2700 will drop 9.5” at 300 yards on a 200 zero.
A 300 H&H loaded with 200 grain A frames loaded to 2700 will drop 8.6 “ at 300 yards with a 200 yard zero.
So less than an inch at 300 I can live with that...or get closer....

I have used one of mine for 300 meter shooting a fair bit. I use the 260 accubonds in mine, accuracy is fantastic and it still hits hard at that range. I dont think 300 stretches its legs at all. What is the twist rate on the 375 you use the 340 gr bullets on?

I don't think you can have too
1 in 10

Perfect ! I have one with that twist, haven't used it much yet but have a bunch of 350 grain woodleighs to use in it.
This one also handles 380gr Rhinos with no issues

If you know the ballistic coefficient for any bullet I can look at the charts for you. They go to 500 yards, have the option for 100, 200, or 300 yard zero. And show the velocity at range.
Will check that for the bullets intend to use

I had been considering a similar project. Unfortunately, while BRNO made a 602 in 300 Win Mag, they didn't make one in 300 H&H (at least not a production run). However just before they discontinued the CZ550, CZ (Europe) release some in 300 H&H, which means they made barrels of the 602/550 design. I contacted our local CZ agent but they weren't in the least interested in importing either a rifle or a barrel.

Putting that aside, I can't see any reason why the 375 wouldn't work at 300 M. The rifles are plenty accurate enough, and there are a few high BC bullets out there. Load up a few and test it out. Much less paperwork than dealing with your bureaucrats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross