AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
US, Namibia, South Africa, Greenland
I am a heavy-for-caliber bullet guy, and have used 350 grain Woodleigh Weldcore HD‘s with great effect on a couple of Cape buffalo. Thinking about dry land hippo, I understand solids are the rule. I’m looking for bullet/cartridge recommendations, but would like to stick with .375 H&H, if possible, thanks.

I’m no expert, and I haven’t even stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in many years, but everything I’ve read here and in other reputable sources is that the premium (modern) solids are the hydrostatic solids. I’m sure there will be recommendations to go with a .40+ caliber, but I imagine many hippo have been taken with a .375 in recent years. I’ve also read that a .375 with a hydrostatic solid will have very few competitors when it comes to penetration. So if you put it in the right spot, it will hit what you want it to.

Hoping for a successful elephant hunt with some time left over, I've indicated I'd like to hunt hippo on dry land should time permit. I'll have CEB solids loaded for both my 458 Lott and 375 H&H for both elephant and hippo.

I had some great accuracy with the Woodleigh hydro 300gr (paired with 300gr PP's) in my H&H with IMR-4350, but ran out of case capacity very quickly.

Can one still get the Hydros after the Woodleigh fire?

Probably any of the flat nosed or cup nosed solids will be fine. Barnes or Swift would be my choice.

Decent solids are a lot easier to find than reliable softs. IMO you really can’t go wrong with most of the available solids. The technology is really old and the bugs are worked out. I’ve used Hydros and Nosler Solids. Both worked fine. Hornady DGS solids are the only ones that disappointed. The core came out the back end when testing them on sandbags.

I've shot my latest hippo on land (2022) using a single 300Gr Barnes TSX. Worked flawlessly.

Previously, I've used 300Gr Norma Monolithic Solids. Before that, I used 300Gr Remington round nosed steel jacketed FMJ solids.

CEB brass solids is what I used to shoot my elephant this year. They blew right through the skull and out the neck. They are relatively inexpensive and shoot very accurately. I paired them with a 300gr TSX, and they grouped together very nicely. I do handload, so not sure these can be had in a factory load. From most people in the know, the flat point solid is superior to a round nose, so that's the direction I'd go either way.

I myself would much prefer to start at .40 & up on a dry land Hippo to be certain I was the one that killed my Hippo .

On land & up close you might not have time to pick the Brain shot properly & body shots just don't stop Big Hippo Bulls well with the .375 (none really will but bigger the better) you might have the PH shooting him & or he will make it to the water, that's not a deal breaker but much more work for all, if he makes it to you then that is far my work, either for the Hospital or Mortuary staff !

I would at least use a Premium expanding bullet for my first shot, The 350gr bullet doesn't seem to greatly up lift the .375 H&H performance either, after using them & seeing them used, doesn't make them into .416s as you would dream !

While the Cup Nose & Flat point Solids have a much greater kill effect, just be sure (Check this in you rifle) that they will feed as more than a few factory rifles will not feed them (actually have trouble feeding anything well in the field) !

Last edited:
First, I’d ask your PH what he recommends.

I think a 300 grain Barnes TSX would work well, as it’d penetrate well and maintain its weight. As far as solids are concerned, there has never been a better selection of truly great solids than now. I wouldn't Hesitate to shoot solids by Swift, Trophy Bonded, Cutting Edge or Nosler. I’ve got all of those loaded and like them all.

I’ll have a hippo on license this August for a Selous hunt with Alan Vincent. I expect we’ll have great opportunities for a hippo on land and expect I’ll be shooting 400 grain TSX’s in my 416 Hoffman And will probably have Swift solids in the magazine. Even though I’m confident a quality bullet from a 375 in the heart/lung area will kill a hippo just fine, I’m more comfortable with the larger, heavier bullet from my 416.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!