Begger

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, DU, QU, SCI
Hunted
US, Limpopo RSA.
I have a Model 70 Classic Super Express in 375 H&H that I would like to have rechambered and rebored to 404 Jeffery. The barrels that Winchester uses on these models are the same profile they use for their 458 Winchester Magnums, so I’m assuming there will be enough barrel.

I can‘t seem to find anyone interested in doing this work. Any suggestions on smiths willing and capable would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Re-boring a barrel is something that very few riflesmiths have the ability to do.

Barrel replacement would be the way to go - trying to come close to the old contour of your old barrel channel with the new barrel is alot easier than buying thousands of dollars of equipment to be able to drill out the barrel, then cut new rifling.

Just how I would approach it. YMMV.

Never used them, but have heard some good reports, I might contact JES Rifle Reboring and see what they say.

I have used JES a few times, but I doubt they would take this on. Unlikely to have the stuff needed to do this caliber. I would ask them for sure but I would be surprised if they would do it.

Tried JES. They don’t have the equipment.

Instead of reboring, buy a new barrel such a Pac Nor. Then your smith only has to work the action, which should be much easier to find someone to do the work. Contact @AZDAVE. He will know a smith who does this work. He should also know whether the M70 .375 action can be easily worked into a .404 action. My RSM .404 started life as a .375 HH.

A simple google search showed two right away- Randys and JES. And as you found, JES one of the more well known shops, can't. The issue may be the odd bore size--- dunno? May take some phone and email chasing to get ahold of a shop that can do the work. The main issue would be as you pointed out a minimum "comfort level" wall thickness. I too would lean toward just getting another barrel and having a trusted gunsmith fit and chamber then modify the bolt face and extractor if needed and check for magazine feed and cycling. For barrels I've used several, but favor Krieger, PacNor and Lilja. Then it is a ammeter of finding one that does 404 J in the twist and contour you want.

Last edited:
You may want to contact Dennis Olson Gunsmith
PObox 337
Plains Mt. 59859-0337
Email dgolson@montana.com
Phone (406 826-3790

He did the following work on a M-70 Safari Express for a AH member some time back.
Fit a new Krieger barrel
blueing so everything matches
stamped the barrel
Feeding
Barrel recoil lug Cross bolt
Inlet the barrel

Turn around on this rifle was about 8 months, The Ah member topped it off with Talley Rings and a Swarovski PH 1.5 x 6 x 42 scope #4 reticle.

I do not remember when or where this was posted on the forum, but the member seemed very happy, weight was just over 10lb with scope, a good weight for a .404 J.

If this will be your first .404J you will love it. 84 grns. of 4350 seems to be the go to load. I have been satisfied with Hornady solids and bonded softs. Some members not so happy.

I hope this helps.

Good Hunting, Lon

Dennis is doing a M70 conversion on a 375HH to 404J for me. Hopefully done in a couple of weeks. There are a number of folks here that have had him do their conversion. He is busy but give him a call. He is reasonable on cost and is highly regarded.
B45955FE-7BE3-41E7-A1F2-66D7191D63AA.jpeg
7B3DCF9E-40D9-4C34-9844-CBD41722BA1F.jpeg

Looks like Randy Selby will be doing the rebore, rerifle and rechambering to 404 Jeffery. Also having the action bedded and a one inch red Pachmyer Decelerator recoil pad installed for good measure. A CRF Winchester Model 70 in the classic 404 Jeffery. I can hardly wait!

Read the disclaimers on reboring. It may turn in to a money pit, i.e. there are NO guarantees. I don't care how many good guns the person made and how good of a smith he is, metal is metal and it's a crapshoot.

You may want to contact Dennis Olson Gunsmith
PObox 337
Plains Mt. 59859-0337
Email dgolson@montana.com
Phone (406 826-3790

He did the following work on a M-70 Safari Express for a AH member some time back.
Fit a new Krieger barrel
blueing so everything matches
stamped the barrel
Feeding
Barrel recoil lug Cross bolt
Inlet the barrel

Turn around on this rifle was about 8 months, The Ah member topped it off with Talley Rings and a Swarovski PH 1.5 x 6 x 42 scope #4 reticle.

I do not remember when or where this was posted on the forum, but the member seemed very happy, weight was just over 10lb with scope, a good weight for a .404 J.

If this will be your first .404J you will love it. 84 grns. of 4350 seems to be the go to load. I have been satisfied with Hornady solids and bonded softs. Some members not so happy.

I hope this helps.

Good Hunting, Lon

Lon............this would be me. BTW, started with a Win Mod 70 Super Grade in 300 RUM. The long lead time to get the Krieger barrel (8 months), but then Dennis Olson cranked it out pretty quick.

This is a link to report: https://www.africahunting.com/threads/i-joined-the-404-jeffery-club-today.47021/

I have had two rifles rebored by Classic Barrel and Gun Works Prescott AZ. One rifle was a custom .35 Whelen with half round half octagonal barrel rebored to a 9.3x62. The other a CZ-550 .375 rebored to a .404 Jeffery. When I decided to simplify my battery the 9.3 was purchased by a world renowned pistol smith and I still have the .404. At the time CZ did not chamber the .404. That .404 shoots so good that I doubt I could ever part with it. Just my personal experience on the subject

I couldn't afford a Dakota Traveller takedown in .404 Jeffery so Mr. Selby is in the process of turning my Parker Hale .404 into a takedown. If all goes to plan that .404 will be the only rifle I ever take to Africa in the future. Randy is an old school no BS craftsman.

I re-barrelled a Winchester M70 375H&H to 404 Jeffery. Was a lot easier to get done than re-boring. Installed a stainless Lilja barrel. Only one or two places do re-boring here in the Peoples Republic of Canada.

IMG_0894.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I would ask why you would want to take a perfectly good 375 H&H, arguably the best caliber in existence and change it? Of course I did the same thing, had my CZ 550 in 375 H&H rebarreled / rechambered to 500 Jeffery. My rationale was that the gun was too heavy and the action too massive for a 375 H&H and deserved a bigger caliber lol

This particular model is just a little muzzle heavy, and I’m only trying to balance it a little bit by removing a small amount of metal from inside the barrel. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
outlookindia012

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg