375 H&H or 416 RIgby

Shot Placement! Whichever you are the most accurate and comfortable with. Listen to your PH! Thats why you are paying him the big bucks!

As far as what to choose if plains game are involved, I am going to disagree with the vast majority who say XX rifle for dangerous game and YY (smaller) rifle for plains game, and I know my opinion is well outside the mainstream. Based on personal experience, I don't see what advantage a smaller rifle offers. ...

For DG in a lot of cases I am either using irons or a red dot. For PG a scoped rifle that can take game at short and long distance. That's the advantage of having two rifles.

An example, on my postponed hunt this year I was going to take a .500 NE double rifle for buffalo and elephant. A scoped .458 B&M bolt rifle with 258 grain tipped raptors for leopard and PG (though would have some 400 and 450 grain rounds for backup of the .500 NE).

Either with premium bullets will work very well. Take the one you shoot the best and practice alot.

I am a big bore guy and would take the 416 especially if elephant is part of the equation.

416 is a medium bore not a big bore

@IvW I concur but when others ask about the small 40's I just use the 30 cal and under as small bore, 8mm-375 as MED bore, 40+ as big bore as a accepted criteria. My 500 Jeff is just a nice solid Big Bore:Joyful:

I am so excited about my upcoming April 2021 Cape Buffalo hunt. Just curious what everyone thinks about hunting Cape Buffalo with 416 Rigby with 400 Grain bullets or a 375 H&H with 300 grain bullets. I completely trust my PH who says 375 is enough. It’s just I have both guns and curious of your thoughts. Given I live in US, I was thinking 375 for CB and 416 for one day elephant where I cannot ship back to US for latter but could make replicas.
I would say if you already have the .416 and shoot it well then take it. It is much better for buffalo.
philip

416 is a medium bore not a big bore
Maybe I disagree with that. So only .470+ is big bore? I think anything over .375 is big bore to me.

Maybe I disagree with that. So only .470+ is big bore? I think anything over .375 is big bore to me.

Typically .458 and up would be regarded as big bore .366 up to .458 as medium bore.

My favorite is the .416 Rigby. I have found that well placed large diameter holes are best (with exceptions of course, i.e. W.D.M. Bell). If you are spending $10K on a hunt, don't take the chance of losing the game by being under-gunned. Take the largest caliber rifle you can shoot well and Practice, Practice Practice.

Ah man that's awesome you are going on a Cape Buffalo hunt!!

I hope to as well in the not so distant future.

I have a 375 that I love to shoot. Picked up a 458 win mag and a.458 Lott, loved them as well. Had a chance to grab a 416 Rigby as well.

The 375 is the easiest to shoot. 416 Rigby with factory ammo does kick a bit more but not bad. The Lott does whack the shoulder a lot, but not bad. All of these rifles are CZ 550. The 375 and 458 are a little easier to find components for here in Canada. Will you be using factory ammo or loading your own?

Where will you be hunting the Buffalo?

Very jealous!
Craig

Rare Breed, unless I have missed it, there has been no mention of what the two rifles are? Either calibre will do the job as attested to by almost all the responders above, but if one of the rifles isn't 'right', then leave it behind. The 375 in a beautifully fitting and balanced rifle would get my vote, because 1. It will be easier to carry and shoot, and 2. It is quintessentially African Safari.

I don't have much experience with a .375, but the .416 Rigby is so well suited for cape buffalo its my choice.

If you are going on a mixed bag safari , then the .375 H&H Magnum is the more sensible choice . If you are going on a safari specifically for Cape buffalo , then it would be thrilling to use a .416 Rigby . That is , if you can comfortably handle the recoil . Of course , ( in the context of a client hunter ) a .375 H&H Magnum is a perfectly acceptable tool for use against Cape buffalo . Just use a good quality soft nosed bullet . If you hand load , then I will strongly recommend South African 300 grain Rhino Solid Shanks . Should you wish to limit yourself to factory loads , then I would highly recommend Federal’s 300 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw .

Now , it IS possible to even use a .416 Rigby for a mixed bag safari if you really put your mind to it . Provided that you use the appropriate ammunition , of course . I routinely hunt game even as small as barking deer , with my .458 WM ( Winchester Magnum ) and ( by using solids ) excessive meat damage is kept to a minimum .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasovWoogy

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg